VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If this thread belongs elsewhere, I trust it will be moved.

Sure I know that this version is ancient and any online help tends to refer to later, more up-to-date, versions but this is the version I have and this is the version I used albeit 10+ years ago to do what I want to do now, although I have the evidence that this can be done, except that my memory cells do not function as they did. All I can recall is that the solution, as with much of PS, involved layers.

So here is the issue. I have 8 PNG images (if I need to change them to jpg then it is not a problem) which are parts of a map. Image 2 requires merging to avoid overlap with Image 1. Image 3 require merging with Image 1 (and maybe Image 2). Image 4 requires merging with Image 4 etc. I guess you now see the general way of things.

What I have failed to do is, for example, introduce Image 2 to merge/overlap with Image 1. Opening Image 2 over-writes Image 1 and no new layers are created (and even when I create a new layer nothing happens). I guess the solution is quite straight-forward but, at present, beyong this 'pea-brain'.

Any assistance would be more than welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. File => Scripts => Load Files into Stack
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thnx. Except I do not see such an option in CS2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In general, I do not recommend "merging" - using the exact PS sense of the term which hard-code combines - because you cannot undo it.

Given you may not be able to do it in scripts (since that wasn't near as fully developed in that version), you would create your layers manually.

Open your base/background layer.
    Copy the layer (in the layers panel on the side). Delete the background layer, so the only remaining copy is on Layer 1.
    Open your next layer in separate window/tab.
    Select all and do Copy (Ctrl+C).
    Go to Layers|Create new layer.
    Select that layer in the layers panel.
    Paste Into that layer what you copied.
    Repeat for all subsequent layers.

If those layers don't have transparency, you will only see the top layer.
    Hide all above layers and go through each layer from Layer 2 upward.
    Select what you want transparent, and Save it to that layer's transparency/Alpha channel. (Usu. starts with Alpha Ch1, etc).
    If you want to truly keep it transparent (without just enabling/highlighting the alpha channel each time), select that alpha and DELETE the pixels. Then your PNG truly has pass-through.
    Work your way up the chain of layers until you have the composite that you are wanting. You may also want to change the layer mode to provide for more nuanced types of layer blending (Using Overlay, Difference, etc instead of "Normal").

BTW, JPG is compressed, and doesn't support transparency, so not optimal, even when applied to a layer in PS.

Hope that helps,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Scott. I will have to work on this. Maybe the issue is with the PNGs since, if memory serves, I only worked with jpgs previously. And now when I add a new layer I lose any image previously opened and just get a checker-board pattern.

I'll go back to source and create the jpgs just to see if that helps. Am I correct in my assumption that transparency and opacity are one and the same. I thought that 0% meant fully transparent but that does not do anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update: I am probably being thick here but I can not get this to work. The issue may well be 'Background Layer' since, typically, PS allows you to import images in to an existing image.

My want is somewhat different since I have a 'base' but that 'base' will grow as I try to merge, for want of a better word, individual images. For example, my first image has a width of 1920 pixels and a height of 900. Yet I estimate that the total size will be 2600x2600. Of course I can create a canvas of that size but PS will reduce that to fit the screen which then means the images I want to appear in the canvas will be too large. And they have to be large enough so that I can see the detail to join them at the right place.

To give you a better idea of what I am trying to achieve I attach a sample of what I did all those years ago. One image is a composite of several full size images and the second is one full size where you can make out the 'joins'.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	full_map01.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	81800  

Click image for larger version

Name:	xv11.8.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	81801  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    do they overlap or butt up? wouldn't mind trying with gimp or paint if you can upload the pictures.

in ps2 maybe try an extra large base canvas, 10,000x10,000? or whatever will fit all the pixels of the sources added up.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Similar to what I said, but sounds like you don't need to go to the effort of creating transparency selections if you are just assembling sections that will butt up to each other (or only slightly overlap), as mentioned.

Start by gauging what you think your total canvas size is going to end up being.
    Add your base layer (aka background), you don't need to make it layer 1 for this.
    Change the canvas size to your assumed final max. If you know your base layer is going to be one edge or a corner, adjust the arrows accordingly
    Then, paste each additional pic into their own layer above. They will always paste into the center, so just use the move tool (V? or M?) to shift the whole element over to where it lines up with the previous. Lock it. Save.
    Repeat for each successive layer until your "stitched" map is complete. Save.
    Do a saveas renaming, and then merge down & save. Export as png, jpg, etc.

If there are issues with saving the PSD, try saving as a PSB, which doesn't have the rez/size restriction.

Skip JPG if you can help it, that's a red herring, unless all your sources are already Jpgs.

Let us know how it goes - I've done similar stitching before so can walk you through it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the computer forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Been there done that... in CS2 (Google Earth snippets)

[Attachment 81806 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @Alwyn, what is that, Atlantis?
    (Good job)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thnx guys. I will have to do more work on this.

FTR the source images for one map do overlap and by some degree - image 2 could overlap 33% of image 1 and that part of image 1 should not be seen whereas image 2 should be totally visible. Only in the composite do the images butt up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know I am a PITA but if I can be fully guided to 'import' image 2 in to the canvas then I should be able to use the same process for the remaining.

So far, I opened image 1, set the canvas size and anchored image 1 to top left - I know appreciate that the canvas is windowed so I should not need to worry about its size. Then I altered the background color of the background layer from the checkerboard to my previously changed grey. Then I added a new layer. Now I am 'stuck'. I have highlighted layer 1 but I could easily be looking at the background layer since nothing changes when I toggle from one to the other. Sure I am having a senior moment but I simply can not see how the copy/paste as mentioned brings image 2 in to the canvas. The attached image shows how far I have got.

Name:	CS2_screen1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	81808  

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Scott
    what is that, Atlantis?
    Rottnest Island, Western Australia. I did that for use in Memory Map (offline GPS mapper) for following all the bike paths (no cars there).

@DB83, What I do is open the next image, do a Select All>Copy, then close it.

Then I create a new layer and paste. The image I copied and then closed (more accurately, the clipboard) will be pasted into the new layer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Alwyn

I owe you a tinnie (or more). Worked like a dream.

And, once again, sincere thanks for all who contributed.

Name:	CS2_screen2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	81809  

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Goodoh, DB, happy mapping!
    Quote Quote