VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As the title says, I'm looking for a camcorder with a large LCD screen. Back in the "good old days", the screens were typically 3.5 to 4 inches. These days it seems they're all 2.7 to 3 inches, unless you get up into the pro broadcast cameras. And for these tired old eyes, the extra screen size makes a huge difference.

My current device is a JVC Everio GZ-GX1 that has a 3.5" screen. It recently developed a problem, so I'm looking for a replacement. I've searched around for a refurbished one but have had no luck. There are no-name units out there with 4" screens but they are junk. Is there a name-brand camcorder out there that fits the bill?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some camcorders allow you to use your smart phone to view what you are videoing. Pretty sure Go Pro allows that. Maybe others.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Some camcorders allow you to use your smart phone to view what you are videoing. Pretty sure Go Pro allows that. Maybe others.
    Unfortunately that doesn't fit the bill for me. I want a camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well I admit it would be hard to use your camcorder and view the results on the phone as you video. But if you used your camcorder on a tripod and your are videoing something where you would not have to pan around and the camera would be steady then you could use your phone to view the picture. Your smart phone is about the largest screen you will be able to find unless you want to spend big bucks for something professional.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You can add an external screen using the camcorder shoe as a mounting bracket on top of the camcorder.

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    You can add an external screen using the camcorder shoe as a mounting bracket on top of the camcorder.
    I had explored that option previously but I don't have a camera that could readily accomodate an external monitor. I think by the time I bought a new camcorder that would accomodate the monitor, I might as well take the plunge and get into a unit in the prosumer/professional category. Which it appears is likely what I'm going to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Professional and prosumer cams aren't much better in this area (viewfinder size). If you want a good size (5", 7") you could try adding an Atomos.
    Or go pro-ish with a unit that has a hotshoe and mount an external HDMI monitor, such as a Lilliput.
    Whichever way you go, if you are also shooting outdoors with it, you will need flags/barndoors/hood for it as well, otherwise the contrast will be too washed out by the sun to see anything.

Or transmit via wifi to your smartphone (hood needed here too).

Scott
    Quote Quote