VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings.

Recently I've been capturing some VHS tapes, initially my VCR would have some issues with the audio. But I remediated those with a head clean. Afterwards though some tapes would still exhibit some issues. Researching online suggests that in such cases mold on VHS tapes is usually the cause, but my tapes don't seem to show any sign of that as far as I see.

I have attached a video link of a tape exhibiting some of the issues. Note that not all of my tapes have this problem.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EQvMNfWiOCcd2h9ImwkHbWhNuCtPAw7R?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try fast forwarding to the end then rewind back a couple of times.
    For affected areas open the tape flap and look for physical issues, for example wrinkling the lower edge,
    creases, etc.
    Last edited by davexnet; 26th Aug 2024 at 01:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's head switch noise, some tapes exhibit more of it than others, If cleaning the heads did not solve the problem you either need another VCR with better alignment, or look for the head switch pot for your model in the service manual if there is one and tweak it, There is also a mechanical adjustment if the stator of the drum motor is on top, neither procedure is for the average user, they are for skilled technicians, if you've never worked on a VCR leave it alone.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the feedback, davexnet & dellsam34.
    Here is what I tried so far.
    I have fast forwarded and reminded twice as per the first comment, and that only provided a *marginal* improvement compared to prior.

In regards to the second comment, I tried out an unused relatively high end VCR from JVC that I own to see if that's going to play the tape any better, but it was actually worse lol.

And to your comment as well dellsam34. Yes the only thing I ever did on a VCR was cleaning. It seems to me this is more of a tape issue considering the 2nd VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ksa1978 View Post
    In regards to the second comment, I tried out an unused relatively high end VCR from JVC that I own to see if that's going to play the tape any better, but it was actually worse lol.
    JVC's top model -- SVHS? In the case of damaged tapes, JVC often switches to SVHS mode and the tape (section) is no longer readable at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The clicking coincides with picture issues. At brief times the HiFi sounds seems to drop out completely, reverting to the linear audio.

The clicks seem to wax and wane in sections as if the VCR is constantly readjusting its tracking.

Normally a good tape will 'hold' tracking once it's set to the recording. (Early VCR's had no auto tracking). If your VCR has manual tracking I'd try adjusting that for the best overall picture and sound in the poor playing section. If that doesnt help, and the problems still come in waves, there may be tape damage.
    Last edited by timtape; 29th Aug 2024 at 05:40.
    Quote Quote