Search PM
    what would you recommend then please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by foxleybob View Post
    what would you recommend then please?
    Kdenlive.

For me it's the best free opensource Video Editing software you can find (and I tried all of them).

It may require some time to get comfortable with it (but less than with DaVinci Resolve) but it's much better than anything else you can find for free: it's a complete software you can use for simple or advanced editing.

Shotcut is also quite decent.. but has crippling limitations for larger and more articulated works (like the absence of a way to organize files/media) and its interface/workflow is very different from what you are used to, in video editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK, thanks.
    I will download and try it.
    Now to look up the tutorials

Edit...
    Erm how does one download it?
    I thought I had, but I can't find any icon for it.
    Sorry, What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by foxleybob; 29th Aug 2024 at 07:22.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Now to look up the tutorials
    There are many tutorial around.. so it shouldn't be a problem.

But if you should need some advice .. feel free to ask.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Erm how does one download it?
    From.. here ?

https://kdenlive.org/en/download/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I tried that link thanks, and followed the instructions correctly.
    But still no sign of it on my PC, which is weird!!!

Looking at the download page again there are 3 choices, and I chose the first choice with a window, and not the others which I assume is for Linux and Mac.
    Is that correct?

Edit
    As a thought, do I have to donate to it to get it properly?
    Last edited by foxleybob; 29th Aug 2024 at 09:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Forget the last post (bloody nuisance aren't I).
    I've just found "Clipchamp" the Windows new software.(think I'll feel safer with this)
    So Now I would love to hear from anyone with opinions, please?
    sorry to have been such a wally.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Although Clipchamp is free it leaves a "Edited in Clipchamp" note to every video for all to see. Also it's hard to save your completed video file to your hard drive. It can be done but MS really wants you to save it to their cloud "OneDrive". You can pay for more features but Kdenlive really looks like a much better editor.

Note: I installed the Widows Kdenlive standalone (the portable version) to a thumb drive so when it goes through its extracting procedure to install itself, you will find the Kdenlive.exe file under the bin windows folder under the standalone folder. Just double click on that .exe to open.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 30th Aug 2024 at 13:59.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That doesn't sound good (Chipchamp)
    It's back to Kdenlive then?
    As I asked before...Would that be a bit too difficult to learn by a begginrer like me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    TBO, I'm at a loss as to what I should work (try ) with.

What about TS-doctor, Is this one any good?
    Quote Quote  
  11. There is also another free option: VSDC Video Editor - https://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor/download. Its main advantage is that it runs easily on low-end computers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thank you JD, another one to look at
    This is becoming a chore just looking/reading about all the software you guys have kindly advised me of, which I'm entirely grateful for
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TBO, I'm at a loss as to what I should work (try ) with.

What about TS-doctor, Is this one any good?
    TS Doctor is good for *.ts files especially from recordings with a satellite receiver.
    I suggested it in the first posts because you mentioned that your goal was to get rid of commercials of your videos. If you are now going to do more advanced editing then there are better software which so many members have suggested. Also it is not free but the 30 days evaluation is fully functional.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    This is becoming a chore just looking/reading about all the software you guys have kindly advised me of, which I'm entirely grateful for
    If you REALLY want to learn video editing and have total freedom on the tools at your disposal I strongly suggest you to learn Kdenlive: it's an eccellent video editor with a ton of advanced features that rivals with Adobe Premiere.

It may requires some time to get used with it.. but it would be the same for every software you should choose to learn.

Other free/open-source tools/editor are vastly inferior to Kdenlive (Shotcut included), they're all missing the most advanced features and the workflow (when you learn how to edit) is very far from what a professional editor is used to (and very limited).

In Kdenlive you can do everything and customize everything .. for example you can save different custom layout for different job/task.

It's a very overlooked and not so popular video editor.. and I can't understand why, since it's very similar to have at your disposal Adobe Premiere for free.

PS: there are many tutorials and information on youtube about Kdenlive, so it shouldn't be a problem to learn it.

Here's an example: a professional video-editor talking (well) about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igZdV9HE4Yk
    Last edited by krykmoon; 31st Aug 2024 at 20:57.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The popular programs are avaialble for download from this very site -
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/video-editors-advanced
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by krykmoon View Post
    If you REALLY want to learn video editing and have total freedom on the tools at your disposal I strongly suggest you to learn Kdenlive: it's an eccellent video editor with a ton of advanced features that rivals with Adobe Premiere.

It may requires some time to get used with it.. but it would be the same for every software you should choose to learn.

Other free/open-source tools/editor are vastly inferior to Kdenlive (Shotcut included), they're all missing the most advanced features and the workflow (when you learn how to edit) is very far from what a professional editor is used to (and very limited).

In Kdenlive you can do everything and customize everything .. for example you can save different custom layout for different job/task.

It's a very overlooked and not so popular video editor.. and I can't understand why, since it's very similar to have at your disposal Adobe Premiere for free.

PS: there are many tutorials and information on youtube about Kdenlive, so it shouldn't be a problem to learn it.

Here's an example: a professional video-editor talking (well) about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igZdV9HE4Yk

I'm trying to download Kdenlive, But I have to have 7 zip, no worries.
    Tried downloading that and got a page stating I have to go to the Microsoft page or something like that. I used 7-zip some years ago and don't remember this hassle (was a while back though)
    This is a bit confusing for me to say the least. After reading all the help from you guys on it, and looking on YouTube, I quite fancy using it now.
    Is there an easier way to download Kdenlive, please?
    Sorry to be such a nuisance. You may have guessed that I'm an old git by now
    Last edited by foxleybob; 1st Sep 2024 at 05:17.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Did you read post #35. It has the link for windows there. I tried the Standalone version and I explained how to open it in my post #38. There was no need to download anything from Microsoft or use 7-zip.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry, bit of a misunderstanding.
    I already have the new windows movie maker Clipchamp and just wanted to know how to uninstall it, because it's not that easy for some reason.
    I want to know how to install Kdenlive instead, but having problems downloading it. because it is in a zip file 7zip, so how do I get 7zip please?
    Hope that makesa more sense?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    I want to know how to install Kdenlive instead, but having problems downloading it. because it is in a zip file 7zip, so how do I get 7zip please?
    Hope that makesa more sense?
    There are two options for the download: the first one should be a common installer (exe file) and the second (STANDALONE) is also contained in an exe file, a self-installing 7zip archive - so you don't need to download anything: click on the icon of the exe file and choose a folder/directory where to install the program -

After the installation of the standalone version you have to open the folder chosen during the installation process and open the folder named "bin": there you'll find the kdenlive.exe to launch the program (you can create a shortcut dragging this icon to the desktop, so you don't have to open folders next time you need the program).

The first download should be a common installer, so it should install normally and create everything for you (entries in the menu and desktop icon).. but I never used it, I prefer the standalone version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thank you krymoon, That's a bit more explanatory, for me.
    I'm just about to leave for a week's holiday, so I will try your advice when back. Thank's
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm back from the holiday in Malta.
    It was very hot there, what a difference to the weather here in the UK.
    I managed to get it downloaded.
    I've just got to learn how to use it now
    Quote Quote