VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey so as the thread reads, I'm pretty new here. But to sum up my issue, I recently ordered are received a thin-pack set for the anime, Evangelion. All was fine until I popped one of the discs into my DVD drive, and realized that files JACKET_P, VIDEO_TS, and AUDIO_TS appeared. I got worried a bit since I had read over a discussion some time ago that bootleged/burned dvds shouldn't have accessible files due to copyright protection. However, despite this, the dvds seemed to pass all the tests. The file limit was more than 5GB, the release date/creation of files had the appropriate date (2005) and the discs themselves seemed silver and not any other shade of color. Hell, even the box set looked exactly like someone else's legitimate one, but this still rubbed me the wrong way. Something else I had heard from reddit a few years prior is how some fakes use MP3, which showed up on some file folders. to try and delve deeper into the matter, I was recommended to use a Nero Info tool, but I have no idea how to find a proper one. If there's any other way to test video legitimacy, please let me know, thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. With encrypted DVDs you can see the encrypted files from Windows Explorer, you just can't play them without authorized DVD player software. Can you play the VOB files with a media player and get a good picture?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    With encrypted DVDs you can see the encrypted files from Windows Explorer, you just can't play them without authorized DVD player software. Can you play the VOB files with a media player and get a good picture?

I believe I can. I use PowerDvD(From a cyberlink dvd/Dell USB Drive). I remember opening an opening credits scene for a few seconds. I'll see what else I can do but I do have a screenshot. Image
    [Attachment 81607 - Click to enlarge]
    Please message if ya need more!!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-18 190429.png
Views:	4
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	81608  

Quote Quote  
  4. Image
    [Attachment 81609 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 81610 - Click to enlarge]
    Oh yeah, here's some more to help this case out. My bad.
    Quote Quote  
  5. PowerDVD is licensed to play DVDs (that's one reason it's not free). Try players like WMP, VLC, MPCHC... which don't have DVD licenses.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    PowerDVD is licensed to play DVDs (that's one reason it's not free). Try players like WMP, VLC, MPCHC... which don't have DVD licenses.
    So if I were to download these, I shouldn't be allowed access to these scenes right? Which should legitimize what I have?
    Quote Quote  
  7. [QUOTE=SSnaker;2747299]
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    PowerDVD is licensed to play DVDs (that's one reason it's not free). Try players like WMP, VLC, MPCHC... which don't have DVD licenses.
    So if I were to download these, I shouldn't be allowed access to these scenes right?[QUOTE=SSnaker;2747299]
    That is correct. Unless you are also running DVD decrypting software like AnyDVD.

Originally Posted by SSnaker View Post
    Which should legitimize what I have?
    I don't know if it fully eliminates the possibility of pirated DVDs. I suspect a good pirate could simply copy the entire DVD, secret decryption keys and all.
    Quote Quote  
  8. [QUOTE=jagabo;2747300][QUOTE=SSnaker;2747299]
    So if I were to download these, I shouldn't be allowed access to these scenes right?
    That is correct. Unless you are also running DVD decrypting software like AnyDVD.

I don't know if it fully eliminates the possibility of pirated DVDs. I suspect a good pirate could simply copy the entire DVD, secret decryption keys and all.

Ah thanks, this helps a lot. A final question though, if I still have power dvd downloaded while I get MPCHC, I wouldn't be able to access right? Or does it work differently?
    Quote Quote  
  9. [QUOTE=jagabo;2747300][QUOTE=SSnaker;2747299]
    So if I were to download these, I shouldn't be allowed access to these scenes right?

Hey so now that I'm back, I think I'm in the clear. I uploaded the disc on Windows media player legacy and followed the proper instructions to letting it play, and the statistics for the ISO under the Video_TS folder come up as unknown/ can't be played. Am I in the good here lads??
    Last edited by SSnaker; 18th Aug 2024 at 21:03.
    Quote Quote