VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

So I have a briefly entry-mid level computer, with 16GB 3200MHz RAM and an i3-10105 @ 3.70GHz processor with UHD630 IGP (so no dedicated VGA jet).

I'm planning in the future to upscale some SD videos the to at least FHD(-ish) resolution, with also enhancing the videos picture quality as much as possible. And therefore I'm up to buy a "relatively" good performing (but still somewhat budget) VGA, like an Nv 1660 Super.

So my question would be, that: "estimatedly" how long would it take to convert an SD (lets say 1 hour long, with 1414 kb/s bitrate and 680x430p resolution) video to FHD with the best possible picture quality enhancer options with an 1660 Super VGA and Topaz Video AI?

Hope that someone here has some kind of relevant experience regarding and could answer somewhat helpfully to this question...

Thank you!
    Last edited by Mounter81; 16th Aug 2024 at 03:50.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There is no answer to your question. Too many variables. The computer you use is the least of the issues. You can change the processing time by a factor of 100 just by changing the settings on some of the plugins you use. Easy example: just try deinterlacing with QTGMC and change the settings from fastest to slowest.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    If you dont have a dedicated GPU then dont bother with Topaz, if you want to try 'AI' upscaling for free, give Waifu2x a try. just search for it in google and download from github. I'm testing it out using RTX VSR, just curious to see how well its performing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mounter81 View Post
    So my question would be, that: "estimatedly" how long would it take to convert an SD (lets say 1 hour long, with 1414 kb/s bitrate and 680x430p resolution) video to FHD with the best possible picture quality enhancer options with an 1660 Super VGA and Topaz Video AI?
    Check first if it's worth it. I've used Topaz for this a few times. In my opinion it's not worth it -- it's OK, but it always makes something funny out of some video fragment.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    Check first if it's worth it. I've used Topaz for this a few times. In my opinion it's not worth it -- it's OK, but it always makes something funny out of some video fragment.
    Ok, so than what else Video upscaler/enhancer AI app do you suggest (if you have used else at all)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any worth using at the moment

https://imgsli.com/MjkwNDU3.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by rgr View Post

I have seen some SD->FHD "conversions" done with Topaz, that were really "convincing". So I guess I can't really agree with your opinion...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rgr View Post

I have seen some SD->FHD "conversions" done with Topaz, that were really "convincing". So I guess I can't really agree with your opinion...
    Yes, sometimes they can work. Sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that the AI Upscalers that are currently out there, free and commercial, are still a highly experimental technology with great potential. However, it isn't quite ready for primetime yet, despite all the hype. Currently, sometimes they can give good results, but more often than not they leave much to be desired. I would say give them a few years until the technology becomes more mature and the results become more consistent. In the meantime, save your money.
    Last edited by Gramps; 23rd Aug 2024 at 18:29.
    Quote Quote