VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I tried researching about it, but I can only find info about the differences between S-video and component. As I understand, with S-video, the brightness and colors are carried by 2 different wires (as opposed to 1 for composite), and component goes a step further with having 3 wires, 1 for brightness and 2 for colors. Also it supports higher resolution.

I'm using a DMR ES16 as a passthru for my VCR (JVC HR-S3500U). My tv doesn't have s-video input, but has component. What happens if I use the s-video input on my DVR to the component output and then to my TV's component input? I understand I won't get a higher resolution, but do I still get that added "quality" that s-video gives over composite?

I'm very new to all this, and really enjoy learning all about it Of course I'm always looking to have the best quality, but this is not really why I'm asking the question here, just genuinely wondering. Thank you all!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You care correct that S-video uses two wires, one for the greyscale (luma) image, and one for the color information. The two chroma (color) channels are encoded onto a carrier frequency (3.58 MHz) where the amplitude of the carrier represents the saturation and the phase of the carrier represents the hue. This limits the resolution chroma.

A composite signal combines the luma and two chroma signals onto a single wire reducing the resolution of the luma and chroma. See the first two diagrams here:

https://www.eetimes.com/measuring-composite-video-signal-performance-requires-understa...e-part-1-of-2/

Component video sends each of the three signals over a separate wire without using a carrier for the colors. So the chroma channels don't need to be modulated, then demodulated to separate them for display. This eliminates any crosstalk and doesn't lower the resolution of the signals.

So, in theory using component will give you the best picture. Given your source is VHS the resolution of luma and chroma are well below that of all three transmission methods. Avoiding composite video does eliminate the issues of combining and separating the luma and chroma carrier, and hence eliminating the associated crosstalk (ie, no dot crawl artifacts in the luma, no rainbow artifacts in the chroma).

In reality, it all depends on the quality of the processing of each component in the signal chain. Use whichever looks best.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for you response jagabo! So the conclusion is yes, I will get the same, if not better (probably not) results with component output as I would with s-video, even if my input is s-video from vhs. I don't have the means to make that kind of test for now, so that'll have to do ^^
    Quote Quote