VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there, I haven't used this unit for years and today tried playing a DVD. It will not 'load' any DVD or CD disc.
    It keeps on trying and I hear the motor speeding up then slowing down, repeating continuously.

I have run a lens cleaner CD a couple of times with no improvement.

Q. Is it just old and passed it's best by date.?
    Q. IF it was working!! would I be able to record ONLY AUDIO in through the front RCA (input3) input onto a DVD-R disc (in LPCM format).??

cheers for any ideas and feedback... CD
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by doobre23 View Post
    Hi there, I haven't used this unit for years and today tried playing a DVD. It will not 'load' any DVD or CD disc.
    It keeps on trying and I hear the motor speeding up then slowing down, repeating continuously.

I have run a lens cleaner CD a couple of times with no improvement.

Q. Is it just old and passed it's best by date.?
    Q. IF it was working!! would I be able to record ONLY AUDIO in through the front RCA (input3) input onto a DVD-R disc (in LPCM format).??

cheers for any ideas and feedback... CD
    I have Pioneer DVR-540H and I am guessing same models with slightly different features.
    I haven't used it for many years but few weeks ago I needed to finalize several DVR-RW and only the original recorder would be able to finalize. Luckily everything worked as they did last time.
    The first thing I would do is to try is to check the firmware software version maybe it is corrupted?
    Contact Pioneer they might have the latest firmware for this model and install it according to their instructions.

In your case it could also be a problem with the DVD drive (most probably IDE not SATA). Not sure if you can replace it with exactly the same model because the firmware expects to see the original drive, but this might be worth a try.
    The H means it has HDD inside. Have you tried recording to the HDD instead of the DVD disc?
    If the DVD drive prevents you from doing this then you can just cut off it's power.
    The problem with this option is how to get the recoding out of the box?
    I remember few posts about another Pioneer DVR. Check the forum posts.
    As to your question recording only audio. I remember I needed to record audio only from a tape cassette, but succeeded only when I had a video signal from a source like a satellite TV channel.
    I am sure there are easier ways today to record audio only than going this route.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi there and thanks for the prompt and full reply.
    I am able to record with the HDD (though as you suggest I will need a video source) so I doubt I will continue down this path, thought it was a "quick" way to get my vinyl digitised. As you say there are many alternatives these days.
    If I take a look inside later, I'll get back here.
    Thanks again CD
    Quote Quote