VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Further to my post "'Is there a way to get rid of a user created DVD menu?'"
    I am seeking a way to figure out whether a DVD has/has not a user created menu.

Maybe one of the below would be fine, but I am not sure , they are very much outdated.

Just want to see chapters and whether or not subtitles are available.

Thanks!

DvdReMake 3.6.3 (December 17, 2007)
    DVDInfoPro 7.702 (August 11, 2017)
    GSpot 2.70a (February 23, 2007)
    IfoEdit 0.971 (November 28, 2004)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post
    Further to my post "'Is there a way to get rid of a user created DVD menu?'"
    I am seeking a way to figure out whether a DVD has/has not a user created menu.

Maybe one of the below would be fine, but I am not sure , they are very much outdated.

Just want to see chapters and whether or not subtitles are available.

Thanks!

DvdReMake 3.6.3 (December 17, 2007)
    DVDInfoPro 7.702 (August 11, 2017)
    GSpot 2.70a (February 23, 2007)
    IfoEdit 0.971 (November 28, 2004)
    Yes, they are outdated. Not a big surprise since DVDs have been around for >25 years with no real change in the spec, and demand to make new discs has tanked due to BD and later to streaming & online files.
    Being outdated doesn't mean they don't work (though that does sometimes happen), it may however mean that they don't accommodate forms of copy protection newer than their last update.
    But if you are working with consumer-created/edited burned DVDs, they won't have CP to worry about.

In answer to your original question, NO. There is no difference in file type/identification between an originally authored disc and a re-authored disc, assuming using a program that properly follows the DVD spec. That's the whole point of having a universal spec - universal compatibility.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    You can use "DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15".
    It has options that meet your needs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDRemakePro remains an almost perfect tool for DVD editing or just getting info.

To explore chapters: expand the DVD tree using 'Eхpand all' command and highlight the PGC for the title of interest. Open programs tab on the right - it shows the PGC's structure (usually all programs are registered as chapters). By highlighting a cell (some programs can have more than one cell) you can see its content in the internal window and navigate through it. To see if all programs are registered as formal chapters, look into Titles under the PGS(s) in the DVD tree and expand the desired VTS Title #.

To find subtitles, highlight the PGC in the DVD tree and look into 'Subpicture Tracks' tab. Additional info (like subs file size) is in another tab shown when 'Program Chains' line in DVD tree is highlighted.

To by-pass an unwanted menu (your earlier question), it's usually enough to add a pre-comand (typically the same as the button command in the menu) to the menu PGC (it must be the first one in the pre-comands list). Then just 'Export modified [ifo] files' and replace the old ones (previously test the result by exporting small 'test DVD').
    Quote Quote  
  5. @Alex_ander The below is what I get. It seems the menu is located in PCG 3. No idea how to proceed. See screenshot.

Initially I deleted it, exported the DVD, but that did not work.

Have spent an awful lot of time on this already (because I am not an expert).

Maybe I should stick to TMPGEnc Video Mastering: it skipped the menu automatically (one way or the other) and created a decent MP4 and use the DVDRemake just to see whether this is a menu indeed, in which case I have to recode the DVD. If not, then it will likely play on my TV.

MakeMKV could not handle this DVD anyhow.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SnagIt-10082024 113256.png
Views:	20
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	81371  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhwul62 View Post

Initially I deleted it, exported the DVD, but that did not work.
    You don't want to 'delete' the menu PGC for editing DVD's playback (however you can 'hide' it to save some space, but only after you finish editing the navigation).

First look at the menu buttons in the video preview window (right bottom corner) and see which button actually works for your playback option: hover that button and use 'copy button command' from right click. Then right-click on 'Pre-commands' tab (#3 in your picture; while menu PGC is selected) -> 'Add copied' (if no commands in the list; or 'Insert copied' while highlighting the first line in the list if some commands were there). Sometimes button commands are not explicitly written and refer to some list of commands.
    Export 'test DVD' (red button) to check the result. Then 'export modified files' from 'file' menu and replace the ifo's (make a backup to be sure) - this option saves disk space and time at exporting, compared to exporting full DVD.
    Last edited by Alex_ander; 10th Aug 2024 at 08:29.
    Quote Quote