VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Being an OBS ignorant I have several times been asking here for a decent sample of an interlaced OBS VHS capture from OBS experts, but I didn't receive a reply or just got some useless and flawed crap.
    Sharc, you've seen OBS progressive stuff before. We discussed at length the footy video I posted past year. The lossless interlace capture had frame order issues but the MP4 was OK. Certainly not bad enough to have a meltdown over.

So, for your test, can you confirm that both the files you used were 29.97 frames, Progressive, per second before your slowed both down to half speed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I compared what one can readily get out of the OP's 29.97fps interlaced Amarec capture with what one can get out of his 29.97fps progressive OBS capture, rescaled and compressed to the same file size for the SBS comparison. I had nothing else to compare. So both original captured sources were 29.97fps frames, one interlaced, the other progressive. If you can extract or peel out anything better from the progressive OBS 29.97fps capture please go ahead, or advise the OP how to do better OBS captures to avoid the temporal and spatial deficiencies, whatever.....
    Last edited by Sharc; 20th Aug 2024 at 05:03.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @BobbyL, here is your AVI after deinterlacing (single rate) and slowed down to half speed. You can plainly see that it is just as jerky as Sharc's comparison OBS video.

So, in this case, IMO the jerkiness observation/criticism is invalid.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's not about just slowdown jerkyness.
    Here again. See that the OBS advances at half speed (half temporal motion resolution) compared to the amarec. Step through it manually to verify it.
    Apart from the spatial blur.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Invalid. How can one file have twice the number of frames over the same time as the other?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Invalid. How can one file have twice the number of frames over the same time as the other?
    Ever heard of interlacing technology and how to process it? Double number of shots (called fields, eventually woven to frames) taken in the same time compared to progressive shooting at same framerate. Means twice the temporal resolution. Similar has been demonstrated in post#21. Stop the trolling but rather tell us how to obtain the same quality with the OP's progressive OBS capture rather than butchering (by base rate deinterlacing) the Amarec interlaced capture to bring it down to the OBS level. Or suggest a better OBS capturing method - maybe it exists and I just don't know. The OP will be greatful and I am always keen to learn something new - and see results.
    The discussion is moot though if one accepts the quality level of the current OBS capture. There is nothing wrong with it, just a waste of what is actually available from the tape.
    Last edited by Sharc; 20th Aug 2024 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sharc, with all respect, you are loosing your time with Alwin about his crap OBS, crap GUIs, crap resizing, crap square pixels, crap denoising, crap deinterlacing and so on. (no personal offense Alwin, just facts)

You showed in frames what I said with words, that's enough for everybody to look and to understand (BTW, thanks for you valuable contributions)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Any links to stepwise use of Virtual Dub with QTGMC or with Avisynth would be appreciated.

Or is Hybrid what I could also use?

I do not know if the most recent posts are asking me to capture my footage in OBS with different settings for further comparisons.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by BobbyL View Post
    Or is Hybrid what I could also use?
    Hybrid - unlike other tools - includes a working QTGMC installation which you can use to deinterlace the Amarec capture in high quality.
    Hybrid is a tool which has a learning curve, and for using it it is beneficial to have a basic understanding of Avisynth or Vapoursynth.

I do not know if the most recent posts are asking me to capture my footage in OBS with different settings for further comparisons.
    An OBS expert (Alwyn?) may help you how to capture VHS tapes with OBS without loosing temporal resolution. I don't know nor did I try recently.
    Last edited by Sharc; 20th Aug 2024 at 17:15.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here are some plugins to get you started with Avisynth, copy them into C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64 once it's installed.
    This will enable you to use the 64 bit version of vdub2 with the script we discussed, including qtgmc
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	click_menu.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	81741  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote