VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey this deck is nice and clean with no issues other than the video output. I switched the BNC, changed the svideo and neither changed it. The audio is good but the video is black with red, green and blue lines.. like something is off. The machine is low hours so dunno if the head is bad. I added a video.. curious what people thik and maybe were to dive in? thanks!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Post a picture of the back of the unit indicating which one you're feeding to the TV, This deck has component as well as composite, I have a feeling you are connected to one of the components (Y, Pb, Pr).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yes I can.i will later on this weekend. I have tried a few different set ups. I’m starting to think it’s the monitor or the settings. I tried this on another machine and it did the same thing. Without a tape i just used a bnc to composite to the video composite in a Toshiba tv. I followed the operation manual on the setup. So the super to the monitor should show the basic menu and errors but is jumbled white letters I can kind of see.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need to provide a input video signal to make it function correctly?

Google: UVW-1800 reference signal

From the UVW-1800 manual:
    Reference video input (see page 3-5(E))
    When recording or playing back videotapes on this unit, always input a composite
    video signal synchronized with the video signal to be used to the REF. VIDEO
    INPUT connector. Especially when recording and editing, failure to input a
    reference video signal to the REF. VIDEO INPUT connector will prevent the built-
    in time base corrector (TBC) from functioning correctly, causing picture breakup.
    Even if you are recording only audio signal or time code, do not fail to input a
    reference video signal.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I read that too but I wasn’t sure. I thought I read something that said for the non tape basic super output you don’t need a reference signal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You don't need a reference signal, But to get picture you may have to be playing a tape, these pro machines don't have blue screen like the consumer ones.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Interesting.. I’ve seen people scroll through the menu with no tape in.. not sure how they did that then
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes if you know you are on the menu page for sure, if you have no way of seeing how do you know you are in the menu page? A tape will make your troubleshooting a lot easier.

Connect as shown in the picture below, make sure the switch is in the right position as explained in 9 paragraph:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-03 121331.png
Views:	10
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	81177  

Last edited by dellsam34; 3rd Aug 2024 at 14:18.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I followed the manual for that set up. I know it’s the menu because I can sort of see the white menu text. I’ll add a video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Then you have a faulty TV, use a different display.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Still waiting to see a picture of the rear of the unit to see what and how you have connected your wires. I have seen a display like that before, and someone has already suggested the thing that caused my display to look like yours. Just snap a photo of the back of the unit and post it.
    Quote Quote