VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. Haven't been here for a few years. Hope everyone is well.
    I have decided to rip all my discs to .MKV files and store on a central PC. Discs are too darned finicky and I don't have the room to store them.

I've been using makemkv. After about a thousand disks I realized I'm ending up with partial movies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I vaguely recall disks being authored with parts split out and they get re-assembled when played. But when I rip them with makemkv it doesn't reassemble the parts into the complete movie. I just end up with several files for each movie.

Mostly a problem for DVDs, but I'm sure I've probably had some blu-rays end up the same.

Is there a better program to do the ripping (That doesn't cost a fortune)? Is there a way I can get Makemkv to reassemble the parts into the complete movie? How do I know if a movie has been split? Sometimes the DVD just contains the movie and some special features.

I twigged when I was checking run times on IMDB.com and saw that the run times were longer than the .MKV file I ended up with.
    For example, I have a copy of The Missing (Special Edition). According to IMDB the theatrical version is 2h17m. The mkv I ended up with is 2h11m, clearly missing large sections of the movie. I ended up with several files, so I have the missing parts but I don't know where they fit into the movie. The Special Edition is 2h34m
    Last edited by Yanta; 1st Aug 2024 at 08:47.
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is it PAL encoded at 25 frames per second by any chance? The IMDb runtime will be for NTSC at 23.976 frames per second. There is about 4% difference between the runtimes for the two formats. 131 minutes x 1.04 = 136.24 minutes.

The other smaller files will be the bonus material.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, they are PAL at 25.00fps.

But if I may, the special edition is 2h34 (at 23.976fps), or 154 minutes. At 25.00fps that would be 2h26 or 146 minutes.
    The two smaller files are sections of the movie, not bonus material and I've watched the movie, and these sections are not part of the main movie file.

The runtime of the two extra parts is about 21m. Which would make the run time 2h33m25s. That sounds about right.

Perhaps there isn't a problem with most of the movies I've ripped from my discs, but it seems there might be with a couple. Is this an MakeMKV issue or something else?
    10940x with Creator X299 Motherboard, 32GB DRR4-3733, RTX 3080 Ti GPU
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Yanta View Post
    I have decided to rip all my discs to .MKV files and store on a central PC. Discs are too darned finicky and I don't have the room to store them.

I've been using makemkv. After about a thousand disks I realized I'm ending up with partial movies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I vaguely recall disks being authored with parts split out and they get re-assembled when played. But when I rip them with makemkv it doesn't reassemble the parts into the complete movie. I just end up with several files for each movie.

Mostly a problem for DVDs, but I'm sure I've probably had some blu-rays end up the same.

Is there a better program to do the ripping (That doesn't cost a fortune)? Is there a way I can get Makemkv to reassemble the parts into the complete movie? How do I know if a movie has been split? Sometimes the DVD just contains the movie and some special features.

I twigged when I was checking run times on IMDB.com and saw that the run times were longer than the .MKV file I ended up with.
    For example, I have a copy of The Missing (Special Edition). According to IMDB the theatrical version is 2h17m. The mkv I ended up with is 2h11m, clearly missing large sections of the movie. I ended up with several files, so I have the missing parts but I don't know where they fit into the movie. The Special Edition is 2h34m
    You should rip to folder and not MKV. I can recommend XReveal as an option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Yanta View Post

This sounds like the difference between PAL and 24fps ie speed up from 24fps to 25fps. It's laborious but I suggest you actually look at a MKV you have produced too see if you can detect any "missing" parts. My guess is you won't. I have ripped over 2000 of my DVD, BD and UHD discs in my collection and have never had this problem with MakeMKV. MKV doesn't "edit" nor is it capable of doing so. Mind you my media player always matches frame rate (Zidoo) as well as my SONY TV. So sitting down with a stop watch and actually watching a movie the time will match what the frame rate original notes.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Could this be a case where the BluRay/DVD contains both cuts of the movie (theatrical and extended) and the wrong title was selected in MakeMKV?

E.g. the Terminator 2 BluRay contains three versions of the movie, when ripping with MakeMKV it sees them as three different titles and the duration of each matches each of the different versions available. And then you also have short titles which are the extra scenes that get stitched in the appropriate section of the movie to make the Director's Cut and Ultimate versions.

Also, try to double check the run times using other sites like BluRay.com because I have encountered wrong information in iMDB before.
    Quote Quote