Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the link.
    I consider myself lucky because whenever Google Password Manager asks me if I want to save a new password, I decline.
    It is very easy to manage passwords using an Excel file secured with a password. Just need to retrieve this password by writing it down somewhere on a piece of paper.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles
    It is very easy to manage passwords using an Excel file secured with a password.
    Very easy to defeat too, based on the Google Search returns for "crack excel password".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think this is less of an issue than is being reported: it didn't lose mine.
    Personally, I don't actually rely on it, since I use 1Password (with MFA), which has been rock solid for me, GPM is more of a supplement to handle often-used internal addresses (e.g. 10.5.x.x, etc) to devices which wouldn't actually be vulnerable even if those PWDs got leaked. Regardless, I have HUNDREDS, and they're all there.

BTW, please for your own safety, do NOT use text/doc, dB or excel-based password lists! Such a big security risk.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Subtitles
    It is very easy to manage passwords using an Excel file secured with a password.
    Very easy to defeat too, based on the Google Search returns for "crack excel password".
    It is hard to crack my Excel file as I use a paper print out and I am never online when I do the updates.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    Keepass has local encrypted file using AES256. Tons of features like password generation, attach files to entries, integrates with browser.

https://keepass.info/

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I don't know about the details for how MS protects an excel file but a quick Google search says AES 256 encryption. Typical method is brute forcing a dictionary attack. If you are using a strong password that method doesn't work and it's no easy task. This gets even harder if the method used to verify the password has been made to be computationally expensive on purpose. Fractions of second long is irrelevant to a user opening the file but it's an eternity even with a 8 character password that has 6,634,204,312,890,625 possible combinations when using upper/lower case, numbers and special characters.
    Last edited by thecoalman; 31st Jul 2024 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote