VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am encoding with staxrip/qtgmc progressive settings for progressive input videos, mkv to mp4, and I keep getting this halo/ring around objects (see the snowboarder on the rail top of the image in the example below). Is there a dehalo/dering filter I should use to minimize or eliminate this? staxrip encode log with avisynth script is attached as well.

[Attachment 80887 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. DeHalo_alpha, FineDehalo probably work if you adjust the settings.
    If your source does not have these, better simply don't overdo the sharpening.
    If you hope for folks to suggest some more specific settings, share a sample of your source.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    DeHalo_alpha, FineDehalo probably work if you adjust the settings.
    If your source does not have these, better simply don't overdo the sharpening.
    If you hope for folks to suggest some more specific settings, share a sample of your source.
    Source attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is that the source of the source processed by 'regular' qtgmc settings?
    That file was over sharpened, you might have some success by blurring and resharpening.
    => assuming this is not the source, start from the source and do not over-sharpen it blindly
    Last edited by Selur; 23rd Jul 2024 at 09:56.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Is that the source of the source processed by 'regular' qtgmc settings?
    That file was over sharpened, you might have some success by blurring and resharpening.
    => assuming this is not the source, start from the source and do not over-sharpen it blindly
    Yes, that's the output from the original source. Are there any settings you recommend to use to not oversharpen?
    Quote Quote  
  6. If the source has halos: remove them before sharpening
    Disable sharpening in QTGMC.
    Try something like CAS, don't use LSFMod but NNED3 for resizing.
    Share a snippet of the source if you need more than general help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    If the source has halos: remove them before sharpening
    Ran a bunch of tests with your suggestions and I think I am getting the output I want. The only thing I want to clean up is is blurring effect that is present in films with high motion like this. I ran the same segment through Topaz and cleaned it up using the topaz motion deblur setting (you can see in the pics) but unfortunately it would take me 30+ hours to encode a 35min full video so that's not an option. Looking for recommendations on how to clean up this blurring effect in Hybrid/Staxrip.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	StaxRip blurring.png
Views:	17
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	80935  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Topaz motion deblur.png
Views:	22
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	80937  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Looking at the log that file the attached video is the output, not the input.
    => no clue, nothing I can suggest
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SVAPrjm View Post
    If the source has halos: remove them before sharpening
    Ran a bunch of tests with your suggestions and I think I am getting the output I want. The only thing I want to clean up is is blurring effect that is present in films with high motion like this. I ran the same segment through Topaz and cleaned it up using the topaz motion deblur setting (you can see in the pics) but unfortunately it would take me 30+ hours to encode a 35min full video so that's not an option. Looking for recommendations on how to clean up this blurring effect in Hybrid/Staxrip.
    Shoot sorry, here's the input.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Okay, that source is wrongly flagged as interlaced.
    I would use CAS + DPIR Deblock + DeHalo_alpha as a base: https://imgsli.com/MjgxNjU1
    Code:
    # contrast sharpening using CAS
    clip = core.cas.CAS(clip=clip, sharpness=0.700)
    from vsdpir import dpir as DPIR
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGBH for vsDPIRDeblock
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGBH, matrix_in_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    # deblocking using DPIRDeblock
    clip = DPIR(clip=clip, strength=15.000, task="deblock", device_index=0, num_streams=3, trt=True, trt_cache_dir="J:/tmp")
    # adjusting color space from RGBH to YUV444P16 for vsDeHalo_Alpha
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV444P16, matrix_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    # applying dehalo using DeHalo_alpha
    clip = havsfunc.DeHalo_alpha(clip, rx=2.50)
    # resizing using NNEDI3CL
    # current: 720x480 target: 1920x1280 -> pow: 4
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3cl_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=4, nsize=3, nns=4) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing
    clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, w=1920, h=1280, kernel="spline64", interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)# before YUV444P16 after YUV444P16
    Depending on the scene I would also add additional denoising, line darkening and adjust the deblocking and sharpening strength.

Since there is a source now, others probably will suggest alternatives.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I’m pretty new to this kind of coding (coding in general) and can’t figure out how to install the pyrepo in Vapoursynth or run this script in Hybrid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I usually use the interface and adjust settings from there.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hybrid does come with Vapoursynth, installing Vapoursynth, Python and similar manually is probably wrong.
    The torch-addon for Hybrid is a separate download, from my GoogleDrive which is linked on the official download site.
    (the above snippet is code that Hybrid would generate if you configure it correctly; it's not something to load into Hybrid)
    Last edited by Selur; 24th Jul 2024 at 22:30.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Ah ok. That worked as intended. Getting this error now with the script you graciously provided.

Failed to evaluate the script:
    Python exception: No attribute with the name cas exists. Did you mistype a plugin namespace or forget to install a plugin?

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "src\\cython\\vapoursynth.pyx", line 3365, in vapoursynth._vpy_evaluate
    File "src\\cython\\vapoursynth.pyx", line 3366, in vapoursynth._vpy_evaluate
    File "", line 4, in
    File "src\\cython\\vapoursynth.pyx", line 2873, in vapoursynth._CoreProxy.__getattr__
    File "src\\cython\\vapoursynth.pyx", line 2696, in vapoursynth.Core.__getattr__
    AttributeError: No attribute with the name cas exists. Did you mistype a plugin namespace or forget to install a plugin?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Was able to manually set the VS filters instead of running a script but two things: 1) it was a very very slow encode running at about .24fps. Is that a combination of the filters used and my OS? Is there a way to get it to run faster without completely upgrading my hardware? 2) the file that did encode will play on my computer but won’t play on my TV now like everything else I’ve encoded. Output container is an mp4. Did I miss a setting somewhere? Can upload the output file if needed.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Knowing nothing about your hardware (or what settings you used), you can try using DeblockPP7 instead of DPIR deblock. (won't be as good, but faster)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I can't recall specifically what my hardware is but I used the settings you provided in the script above, just manually by clicking through the VS filter tabs. Main question I have is what would cause it to be unable to playback the file on my TV? Never ran into that issue with anything else I encoded. Output file is attached, without sound.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Knowing nothing about your hardware (or what settings you used), you can try using DeblockPP7 instead of DPIR deblock. (won't be as good, but faster)
    I’m running AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core processor 3.6GHz and 32GB installed RAM
    Quote Quote  
  18. No filter can cause playback issues, those are probably due to some incompatible encoding settings.
    Will look at the file later (if I don't forget it ), working now
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Here's the output from Hybrid with the code you provided. It's pixelated/blocky. Not sure what's going. I entered it manually and through each tab on the interface. Should have copied the script over to a txt doc to upload but can't right now. Appreciate all your help.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  20. At least post your script,... my guess is you didn't tell Hybrid the source isn't interlaced even when it's progressive, thus Hybrid will apply some deinterlacing which will cause issues,...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    # Imports
    import vapoursynth as vs
    # getting Vapoursynth core
    import sys
    import os
    core = vs.core
    # Import scripts folder
    scriptPath = 'C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsscripts'
    sys.path.insert(0, os.path.abspath(scriptPath))
    # loading plugins
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/ResizeFilter/nnedi3/vsznedi3.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/RemoveGrain/RemoveGrainVS.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/fmtconv.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/SharpenFilter/CAS/CAS.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/SourceFilter/LSmashSource/LSMASHSource.dll")
    # Import scripts
    import edi_rpow2
    import havsfunc
    import validate
    # Source: 'C:\Users\Computer\Videos\RJ videos\Videograss\(2017) Visitors (1)-003.mkv'
    # Current color space: YUV420P8, bit depth: 8, resolution: 720x480, frame rate: 29.97fps, scanorder: progressive, yuv luminance scale: limited, matrix: 470bg
    # Loading C:\Users\Computer\Videos\RJ videos\Videograss\(2017) Visitors (1)-003.mkv using LWLibavSource
    clip = core.lsmas.LWLibavSource(source="C:/Users/Computer/Videos/RJ videos/Videograss/(2017) Visitors (1)-003.mkv", format="YUV420P8", stream_index=0, cache=0, prefer_hw=0)
    frame = clip.get_frame(0)
    # Setting detected color matrix (470bg).
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _Matrix=5)
    # setting color transfer (170), if it is not set.
    if validate.transferIsInvalid(clip):
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _Transfer=6)
    # setting color primaries info (to 470), if it is not set.
    if validate.primariesIsInvalid(clip):
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _Primaries=5)
    # setting color range to TV (limited) range.
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _ColorRange=1)
    # making sure frame rate is set to 29.97fps
    clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip=clip, fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001)
    # making sure the detected scan type is set (detected: progressive)
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _FieldBased=0) # progressive
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGBS for vsDPIRDeblock
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGBS, matrix_in_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    clip = DPIR(clip=clip, strength=15.000, task="deblock", device_index=0, num_streams=3)
    # adjusting color space from RGBS to YUV444P16 for vsDeHalo_Alpha
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV444P16, matrix_s="470bg", range_s="limited", dither_type="error_diffusion")
    # resizing using ZNEDI3
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=4) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing
    clip = core.fmtc.resample(clip=clip, w=1920, h=1280, kernel="spline64", interlaced=False, interlacedd=False)# before YUV444P16 after YUV444P16
    # adjusting output color from: YUV444P16 to YUV420P8 for x264Model
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV420P8, range_s="limited", dither_type="error_diffusion")
    # set output frame rate to 29.97fps (progressive)
    # output
    clip.set_output()
    Quote Quote  
  22. You used a different filter order than I.
    your script:
    Code:
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGBS, matrix_in_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    clip = DPIR(clip=clip, strength=15.000, task="deblock", device_index=0, num_streams=3)
    # adjusting color space from RGBS to YUV444P16 for vsDeHalo_Alpha
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV444P16, matrix_s="470bg", range_s="limited", dither_type="error_diffusion")
    # resizing using ZNEDI3
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=4) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing
    my script:
    Code:
    # adjusting color space from YUV420P8 to RGBH for vsDPIRDeblock
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.RGBH, matrix_in_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    clip = DPIR(clip=clip, strength=15.000, task="deblock", device_index=0, num_streams=3, trt=True, trt_cache_dir="J:/tmp")
    # adjusting color space from RGBH to YUV444P16 for vsDeHalo_Alpha
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV444P16, matrix_s="470bg", range_s="limited")
    # resizing using NNEDI3CL
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3cl_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=4, nsize=3, nns=4) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing
    => use the "Vapoursynth Script Preview" and adjust the "Filter Order".
    I would also recommend using the Vapoursynth preview before encoding.

Cu Selur

Ps.: you might want ot use 'code'-tags to make your posts more readable when posting code.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    That worked! And increased the speed of the encoding too. Thank you so much!

A couple other questions I have is 1) I still can't get the mp4 output to play on Roku media player, says "the codec used to compress the video is not supported." I've never had this problem in the past until last night. 2) For deinterlacing, where you recommend that filter go in the filter order?
    Quote Quote  
  24. 1) I still can't get the mp4 output to play on Roku media player, says "the codec used to compress the video is not supported." I've never had this problem in the past until last night.
    I don't own a Roku media player. I don't know what encoder and setting you used. Seems like the encoder settings (and may be resolution & frame rate) combination is not supported by that player.
    2) For deinterlacing, where you recommend that filter go in the filter order?
    first

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Awesome, thank you for the filter tip!

As far as the codec, I'm not entirely sure what encoders come installed with Hybrid so I just used whatever it defaults to after installing the torch add-on. Didn't mess with any of the container settings or anything.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Depending on your OS and your hardware, Hybrid support the following video encoders:
    • x264 (H.264)
    • XxiD (MPEG-4 ASP)
    • VP8, VP9
    • aomenc (AV-1)
    • rav1e (AV-1)
    • x265 (H.265)
    • kvazaar (H.265)
    • ProRes
    • FFV1
    • DNxHD (Digital Nonlinear Extensible High Definition)
    • UT Video
    • FFVHuff
    • SVT-HEVC (H.265)
    • SVT-AV1 (AV-1)
    • FFNVENC (H.264, H.265)
    • CFHD (Cineform High Definition)
    • PNG (for image output)
    • DivX265 (H.265)
    • QSVEncC (H.264, H.265, AV-1)
    • VCEEncC (H.264, H.265, AV-1)
    • X265-16bit (H.265)
    • NVEncC (H.264, H.265, AV-1)
    the default encoder should be x264 with (8bit, High Profile 5.1) and 2pass encoding aiming for an average bitrate of 1500 kBit/s, which would be really low for HD content, but should be compatible with normal players.
    No clue why your Roku doesn't play the file. (it probably won't support 10bit H.264, but since you didn't change the setting,..)
    Did a quick GoogleSearch and from the looks of it, Roku might have some issues with some x264 encodes.
    => no clue, not a bug in Hybrid, but a mediocre player from the looks of it.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Ahhh ok. Where or how do I change it from 10 to 8 bit 264? I’m not seeing it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. 'x264->Base->General Settings->Calculation precision', but with 'AVC Profile' set to 'High' '10-bit' is not available, and thus that option is disabled by default.
    So unless you changed some settings, your encode should be 8-bit.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, thanks. I’ll keep playing around with the settings to see what I can figure out. Really appreciate all your help with this.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Encoded a full video last night and it came out perfect. This morning, not sure why I messed with a good thing, but I went and updated Hybrid to the 2024.06.16 version and added the torch add-on files and now it's back to running at .25fps encode even with the filter script in the correct order and running 1 pass CRF.

Code:
    vspipe "C:\Users\Computer\AppData\Local\Temp\encodingTempSynthSkript_2024-07-27@15_11_24_5610_0.vpy" - -c y4m | x264 --preset veryfast --crf 18.00 --profile high --level 4.2 --ref 3 --direct auto --b-adapt 0 --sync-lookahead 18 --qcomp 0.50 --rc-lookahead 40 --qpmax 51 --partitions i4x4,p8x8,b8x8 --no-fast-pskip --subme 5 --aq-mode 0 --vbv-maxrate 62500 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --sar 32:27 --qpfile "C:\Users\Computer\AppData\Local\Temp\Visitors test14_1_2024-07-27@15_11_24_5610_03.qp" --non-deterministic --range tv --colormatrix bt470bg --demuxer y4m  --input-range tv --fps 30000/1001 --output-depth 8 --output "C:\Users\Computer\AppData\Local\Temp\2024-07-27@15_11_24_5610_04.264" -
    Code:
    # Imports
    import vapoursynth as vs
    # getting Vapoursynth core
    import ctypes
    import sys
    import os
    core = vs.core
    # Import scripts folder
    scriptPath = 'C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsscripts'
    sys.path.insert(0, os.path.abspath(scriptPath))
    # Loading Support Files
    Dllref = ctypes.windll.LoadLibrary("C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libfftw3f-3.dll")
    # loading plugins
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/EEDI3m.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/ResizeFilter/nnedi3/vsznedi3.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/MiscFilter/MiscFilters/MiscFilters.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/RemoveGrain/RemoveGrainVS.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/GrainFilter/AddGrain/AddGrain.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/NEO_FFT3DFilter/neo-fft3d.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/DenoiseFilter/DFTTest/DFTTest.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/libmvtools.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/scenechange.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/Support/fmtconv.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/SharpenFilter/CAS/CAS.dll")
    core.std.LoadPlugin(path="C:/Program Files/Hybrid/64bit/vsfilters/SourceFilter/LSmashSource/LSMASHSource.dll")
    # Import scripts
    import edi_rpow2
    import havsfunc
    import validate
    # Source: 'C:\Users\Computer\Videos\RJ videos\Videograss\(2017) Visitors (1)-003.mkv'
    # Current color space: YUV420P8, bit depth: 8, resolution: 720x480, frame rate: 29.97fps, scanorder: progressive, yuv luminance scale: limited, matrix: 470bg
    # Loading C:\Users\Computer\Videos\RJ videos\Videograss\(2017) Visitors (1)-003.mkv using LWLibavSource
    clip = core.lsmas.LWLibavSource(source="C:/Users/Computer/Videos/RJ videos/Videograss/(2017) Visitors (1)-003.mkv", format="YUV420P8", stream_index=0, cache=0, prefer_hw=0)
    frame = clip.get_frame(0)
    # Setting detected color matrix (470bg).
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _Matrix=5)
    # setting color transfer (170), if it is not set.
    if validate.transferIsInvalid(clip):
      clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _Transfer=6)
    # setting color primaries info (to 470), if it is not set.
    if validate.primariesIsInvalid(clip):
      clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _Primaries=5)
    # setting color range to TV (limited) range.
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _ColorRange=1)
    # making sure frame rate is set to 29.97fps
    # making sure the detected scan type is set (detected: progressive)
    clip = core.std.SetFrameProps(clip=clip, _FieldBased=0) # progressive
    clip = DPIR(clip=clip, strength=30.000, task="deblock", device_index=0, num_streams=3, trt=True, trt_cache_dir="")
    # adjusting color space from RGBS to YUV444P16 for vsQTGMCFilter
    # Denoising using QTGMC
    clip = havsfunc.QTGMC(Input=clip, Preset="Fast", InputType=1, TR2=1, SourceMatch=0, Lossless=0, EZKeepGrain=1.00, NoisePreset="Fast")
    # resizing using ZNEDI3
    clip = edi_rpow2.nnedi3_rpow2(clip=clip, rfactor=4, nsize=3, nns=4) # 2880x1920
    # adjusting resizing
    # adjusting output color from: YUV444P16 to YUV420P8 for x264Model
    clip = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV420P8, range_s="limited", dither_type="error_diffusion")
    # set output frame rate to 29.97fps (progressive)
    # output
    clip.set_output()
    Last edited by SVAPrjm; 27th Jul 2024 at 17:15.
    Quote Quote