VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm trying to keep the sharpness as high as possible using the QTGMC script with partial success. The biggest problem is actually the OSD.
    1. Is it possible to keep the actual image sharp (or even make it sharper) without increasing the OSD brightness? I've tried using Sharpness=0 and sharpening with lsfplus, but lsfplus ignores the brick wall (even in edgesharpen mode).
    2. There's a halo around the OSD -- is there an option that doesn't cause this?

Frame 150:
    https://imgsli.com/MjgwNzY5

b2=b1.QTGMC(preset="slower",InputType=1,noiseproce ss=1,noisepreset="slower",
    \ blocksize=12,search=3,searchparam=1,subpel=4,match enhance=1,Rep0=4,Rep2=4,stabilizenoise=true,source match=2,
    \ TR0=2,TR1=2,TR2=3,chromanoise=true,noiserestore=0, grainrestore=0,sigma=4,sharpness=1,showsettings=fa lse).subtitle("b2")
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by rgr; 22nd Jul 2024 at 16:37.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are you aiming for? When the OSD is sharp, some of the details in the image seem less sharp,
    and details blurred away.
    Why are you even running qtgmc on this source?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    QTGMC beautifully stabilizes OSD.
    It also preserves sharpness best at Sharpness=1 (or destroys it the least at Sharpness=0). Unfortunately, it causes halo and brightens OSD too much.
    I also tried using Sharpness=0 and sharpening in a different way, but the results were even worse.
    Last edited by rgr; 22nd Jul 2024 at 16:35.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Wait and see if you get some further responses, this is going beyond my experience.
    Have you looked at Overlay to see if you can "fix" (reduce the brightness?) the OSD after the qtgmc?
    Some kind of mask that isolates that section?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, I am considering processing this image fragment with Sharpness=0, but only if all else fails.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use sharpness 0.1. A sharpness of 0.2 is also tolerable in some situations, but anything higher than that is too much for me. The sharpener in it seems more powerful than average or is prone to halos pretty easily. If I by some miracle need anymore sharpening, I use a dedicated sharpening filter like limitedsharpenfaster.

A lot of the default settings are more destructive to detail than the average person would like. Give this a try and see how you like it.
    It's possible it wont make the text look as stable since it's set for detail preservation and wont smear it, but give it a try, it just might still do it.

Code:
    QTGMC(preset="slow", matchpreset="slow", matchpreset2="slow", sourcematch=3, tr1=2, tr2=1, NoiseTR=2, sharpness=0.1)
    Add this and adjust strength as needed if you want more or less sharpness. I would not go over strength 25.
    Code:
    LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.00, ss_y=1.00, strength=7, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

Last ditch attempt, if none of that pleases you, try a dehalo filter to lessen it.
    Code:
    source = last
    dehalo_alpha(rx=1.2, ry=1.2, darkstr=0, lowsens=0, highsens=50, ss=1.0)
    MergeChroma(last, source)
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 23rd Jul 2024 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Maybe some thing like this after generating b2:

Code:
    blackmask = b2.mt_binarize(50, upper=true).mt_expand().mt_expand().Blur(1.0).Blur(1.0).Blur(1.0) # a mask of very dark areas
    blackmask = blackmask.Crop(62,426,-392, -62).AddBorders(62,426,392,62) # limit mask to the timecode area
    dh = b2.dehalo_alpha(rx=1.0, ry=2.0, DarkStr=0.5, BrightStr=1.0)
    b2 = Overlay(b2, dh, mask=blackmask)
    Quote Quote