VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I'm trying to edit this video that I shot using an HDV camcorder, I filmed it in progressive and when I try and render it through Davinchi the video isn't very clear but the RAW M2T footage is perfectly fine. Here is a google drive containing footage that was rendered using davinchi and the raw video

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fEiGh-XUTh2GSOWLB4dyz_vxhOcAlc-Y?usp=sharing
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure it was originally Progressive? There's something crazy going on with it; every 5th or so frame jumps backwards and then there's a massive jump forward.

I don't use Davinci so can't help with rendering settings but something's gone haywire somewhere.

You can attach video files to your post: max 500MB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1080 HDV progressive is stored on tape as interlaced. 2 fields when shown together make 1 progressive frame. the editor should show the HDV video when imported as interlaced. then with vegas pro at least, you tell the editor to interpret it as progressive. as long as you have the correct field order it works.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Are you sure it was originally Progressive? There's something crazy going on with it; every 5th or so frame jumps backwards and then there's a massive jump forward.

I don't use Davinci so can't help with rendering settings but something's gone haywire somewhere.

You can attach video files to your post: max 500MB.
    Im pretty sure its progressive. Here is some original test footage if anyone wants to help deinterlace it through davinchi
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, definitely Interlaced, Top Field First. You can verify this by opening it in MediaInfo. Go to the Text view and look in the video section of the report. I double-checked it in Virtual Dub.

If you tell Davinci that the video is Interlaced TFF, you should get a good render.

Added: In VDub, you can see the interlacing. If you apply the deinterlace filter, Yadif, Double Rate TFF, you'll get the progressive version in the right pane.

And yes Lollo and Sharc, I know there are better ways to check the interlacing.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 21st Jul 2024 at 10:31.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Nope, definitely Interlaced, Top Field First. You can verify this by opening it in MediaInfo. Go to the Text view and look in the video section of the report. I double-checked it in Virtual Dub.

If you tell Davinci that the video is Interlaced TFF, you should get a good render.
    These are the settings I use for the clip when deinterlacing and I still get the same jumpy after product.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2024-07-21_113004902.png
Views:	18
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	80867  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post removed; irrelevant to the topic.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 23rd Jul 2024 at 03:39.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @Alwyn
    Frame 360....363, 390...392, 450...451, 480...483, 570...573, 631...633 of your Magix deint.
    It's not in the source IMO.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	magix_deint.png
Views:	13
Size:	711.5 KB
ID:	80900  

Last edited by Sharc; 23rd Jul 2024 at 03:01.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Irrelevant to topic.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 23rd Jul 2024 at 04:17.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nothing to be fixed using a number of tools, one fixing the flaws of the other. Just use a decent deinterlacer.

Framerate is ok. I deleted that note from my post.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 23rd Jul 2024 at 03:30.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Drag it backwards in VDub.
    Re. the OP's source file: Vdub has issues with interlaced YV12 (interlaced YUV 4:2:0), as you may remember from your other thread
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/415335-Creating-a-test-file-with-alternating-fields#post2743722

Edit:
    I see you removed the magix crap of post#7, calling it "irrelevant to the topic". Well then. Just hoping now that Magix payware etc. can do as good or better than Avisynth (or similar) freeware
    Last edited by Sharc; 23rd Jul 2024 at 04:12.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    I see you removed the magix crap of post#7, calling it "irrelevant to the topic". Well then. Just hoping now that Magix payware etc. can do as good or better than Avisynth (or similar) freeware

Sharc, original file from OP also features strange field architecture at the beginning, with fields going back and forward in time. I do not know if it is a post-processing problem, a capture problem or a camera problem.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Danny, I suggest you try those Davinci settings with Clip 25, because it is much better behaved than "untitled.mp4" and "unhhtitled.mp4", which both have the jumping back and forth, as I noted in post 2.

If you can render Clip 25 OK, then it would pay to recapture/transfer the other two (the car clip and the ferries clip) because they have fundamental problems.

Alternatively, just attach either the "untitled" original m2t or "unhhhtitled" original m2t. Then we can see if they are the same as Clip 25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the video was shot HDV 25p/30p progressive there is no reason to deinterlace. you combine the upper and lower fields to get a true progressive frame. just put the video on the timeline and set deinterlacing to none and it should work fine. make sure it's set to Top Field First, TFF.

if it was shot 24p that's a different story...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote