VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have an old Tobin Systems transfer machine that I want to use to transfer some 8mm film. I like the unit for several reasons (small footprint, self contained, S-Video output, etc.), however I have some questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1) The unit uses a standard definition board camera. Would upgrading the camera to high definition improve the quality of the scanning? I found a couple HD cameras on e-Bay that look very similar to the currently installed camera. I realize the re-wiring will be a challenge, but just wondering if such an upgrade would be worth the effort. Obviously, I'd like the best quality I can get with this machine.

2) While the Tobin is supposed to be a frame-by-frame scanner, I've noticed that every 3rd or 4th frame is out of focus (See pictures below). It's as if the timing is just a bit off. Does anyone has any idea how to fix that in the capture process? It isn't that noticeable when viewing the video in real time, but I now know it's there. I sure would like to capture each frame in focus if possible.

These pictures are 3 consecutive frames. Notice the 2nd picture being blurred.

[Attachment 80847 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 80848 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 80849 - Click to enlarge]

3) I've noticed that some reels have quite a bit of jitter in them. Since the Tobin is sprocket driven, could that be causing some jitter in the capture? Would a sprocket-less projector produce a smoother video? I doubt I could make that change in this machine, but just curious.

Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    It looks to be capturing with an interlaced video camera. Interlaced is fine in motion, which it was designed for, for interlaced television, but a still frame of both fields (two fields per "frame") will expose timing differences between the two frames. If there is a problem with the interlaced motion, you would need to upload a short interlaced movie clip.
    Quote Quote