VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have noticed recently, that my videos that I converted with x264.exe tends to lag when played back on Youtube. The lagging happens when you move the mouse on the screen. It can be just a momentary move or continuous. The lagging is mostly in the video, but sometimes the sound stops for a moment as well. This is what I captured on the attachment titled: Lagging.mp4.

The videos in question are 1080 50p, this option is selected in Youtube as well. When I select 360p on Youtube, the video is not lagging any more.

You could conclude: Okay this is a laptop performance error, but I checked 1080 50p videos uploaded by others, and in those cases I did not experience this lagging. I captured it in the attachment: Not lagging.mp4

So the error has to be in my conversion process. I wonder what do I do wrong that it happens? I wonder if it is caused by the fact that the profile of my videos are: High L4.2 and not Main or Baseline?

Here is the full video that you can see in the attachments:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1go7PI1uMLWToNOGbET89C0ZP3jWGr4p1/view?usp=sharing

I have used this mod to convert recently:
    https://github.com/jpsdr/x264/releases

However I checked my older videos as well, and this lagging happens in case of those, too. I created those with the x264.exe versions available on the VLC Player website. Those are mkv files of course. In their case the lagging is not that heavy though. Occurs here and there, but less noticeable.

By the way, I noticed certain errors while playing back these videos on my laptop as well. With the mkv's there is no problem. But the mp4's that I converted with the mod, behave strangely when played back on the laptop, too. Depening on what software you use to mux them, they may lag or not lag. For example if you mux with Yamb, they lag heavily when you click to various positions on the timeline during playback, but even when you mux with MeGui. The videos seems to have no lagging or just minimal when using this software to mux:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/MP4-tool

So based on this I am not sure whether the error comes from x264.exe or the muxing process. The outcome is, however, that no matter what software I use to mux, the lagging is there in every case when I watch these videos on Youtube.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. this is not a youtube issue, they reencode everything you upload into a web friendly format, i.e. number of b frames, number of reference frames and so on.

the fact that this is also happening with certain locally stored files just cements this.

my guess is a video card problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by frank_footer View Post
    this is not a youtube issue, they reencode everything you upload into a web friendly format, i.e. number of b frames, number of reference frames and so on.

the fact that this is also happening with certain locally stored files just cements this.

my guess is a video card problem.
    But as I said, when I checked other 50p videos on Youtube, it did not do that. Other times I mostly uploaded stuff imported by Vegas in the past. I never had this problem.

This also makes it questionable whether Youtube treats all videos the same. From this case it seems not. I also read about how Youtube converts, but from this recent issue it seems to me how people imagine Youtube converts stuff is partly misunderstanding. Since I am uploading stuff converted by x264.exe, I notice such lagging issues time by time.

How can you download Youtube videos without conversion, to have it in the exact state as Youtube is streaming it? Maybe if I could check it's properties and would copy them when converting, I could stop this lagging.
    Last edited by Bencuri; 12th Jul 2024 at 17:53.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    How can you download Youtube videos without conversion, to have it in the exact state as Youtube is streaming it?
    yt-dlp
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    How can you download Youtube videos without conversion, to have it in the exact state as Youtube is streaming it?
    yt-dlp
    When I ask a list of formats of the video that is not lagging, I get this list:

[Attachment 80669 - Click to enlarge]

But how can I investigate which is the one that I can see when I am watching that video in Youtube in my Chrome browser? It is showing a bunch of different versions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd try encoding your video into another format, say MPEG 2, and see if YT still lags. If it doesn't, then you have isolated your H264 encoding process as the problem. If YT still lags, then it would seem it is the source videos you are using and not your H264 encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the the Youtube window when the video is playing, right click the video and select "Stats for nerds"
    The streams are identified there
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    This is the mediainfo of the video not lagging:

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : C:\YT\Panasonic Lumix GH5 4K 50P Footage Video Sample [O0xgzn7JO_k].webm
    Format                                   : WebM
    Format version                           : Version 4
    File size                                : 265 MiB
    Duration                                 : 8 min 32 s
    Overall bit rate                         : 4 329 kb/s
    Frame rate                               : 50.000 FPS
    Writing application                      : google
    Writing library                          : google

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : VP9
    Format profile                           : 0
    Codec ID                                 : V_VP9
    Bit rate                                 : 4 151 kb/s
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.040
    Stream size                              : 254 MiB (96%)
    Language                                 : English
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No
    Color range                              : Limited
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
    In this one there is no more info, but in other versions of this video there is:

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : C:\YT\2.mp4
    Format                                   : dash
    Codec ID                                 : dash (iso6/avc1/mp41)
    File size                                : 335 MiB
    Overall bit rate                         : 5 476 kb/s
    Encoded date                             : 2017-03-26 07:10:10 UTC
    Tagged date                              : 2017-03-26 07:10:10 UTC

Video
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4.2
    Format settings                          : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames        : 3 frames
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate                                 : 5 471 kb/s
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.053
    Stream size                              : 334 MiB (100%)
    Encoded date                             : 2017-03-26 07:10:10 UTC
    Tagged date                              : 2017-03-26 07:10:10 UTC
    Color primaries                          : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
    Codec configuration box                  : avcC
    For reference frames it writes 3. My video has 4. I don't know if it matters?

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : C:\Users\bencuri\Videos\Obligatoire\Obligatoire_Low.mp4
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                                 : mp42 (mp42/mp41/isom)
    File size                                : 362 MiB
    Duration                                 : 8 min 24 s
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 6 013 kb/s
    Encoded date                             : 2024-07-10 00:06:10 UTC
    Tagged date                              : 2024-07-10 00:06:10 UTC

Video
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4.2
    Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration                                 : 8 min 24 s
    Bit rate                                 : 5 623 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate                         : 12.8 Mb/s
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.054
    Stream size                              : 338 MiB (94%)
    Writing library                          : x264 core 164 r3186+62M 5e8a29f t_mod_New [(8 & 10)-bit@all X86]
    Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=4 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.00 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / fgo=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=20 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0000 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0:0:0 / qpmax=69:69:69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00 / aq-sensitivity=10.00 / aq-factor=1.00:1.00:1.00 / aq2=0 / aq3=0
    Encoded date                             : 2024-07-10 00:06:10 UTC
    Tagged date                              : 2024-07-10 00:06:10 UTC
    Codec configuration box                  : avcC
    I will try the Mpeg version, whether that lags or not.

Anyway I remember that I had a lot of problem with lagging on my previous laptop that had a Dual-Core T4500 CPU. Even with SD videos, that should have been handled by that CPU I guess. I noticed after a while, that in case I use the default settings in HCEnc and use that to create videos, they are not lagging playing back on the laptop, even if the bitrate was 9200. But interestingly, when I read an article for recommended DVD settings, and I chose those in HCEnc, the videos started lagging again playing back on the laptop as well. Those changes included settings of GOP and something else that I don't remember. But basically with those recommended settings I got the problems back. I wanted to ask here back then how the change might result in lagging, I had better having done so. Maybe it would help now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What's your computer build?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What's your computer build?
    Intel i5-3210M 8GB
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Isn't the problem here, though, that during conversion I did not set the CRF to be capped? These are the parameters that I used:
    x264.exe --preset faster --crf 20

But as I read online the guide says CRF is not for streaming. If I want it for streaming I should use 2 pass or capped CRF. You could expect however that Youtube adresses the problem, however considering my case it seems not, or not to the extent expected.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post the link to this Guide that you're referring to.

In general it doesn't matter that much, since Yotube re-encodes everything it receives anyway.
    If you look here, it's pretty much wide open
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en#zippy=%2Cvideo-codec-h
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would say your systems aren't up to date and can't handle video's that are encoded wrong.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I would say your systems aren't up to date and can't handle video's that are encoded wrong.
    That is the correct conclusion: encoded wrong. So the question is, how to encode it well so that my machine can handle it? Because as it seems from Youtube it is possible.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Post the link to this Guide that you're referring to.

In general it doesn't matter that much, since Yotube re-encodes everything it receives anyway.
    If you look here, it's pretty much wide open
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en#zippy=%2Cvideo-codec-h
    This is where the author mentions capping:
    https://slhck.info/video/2017/02/24/crf-guide.html

As I see my video pretty much meets the Youtube recommendation. Except for GOP maybe, but that one I don't see mentioned anywhere in Mediainfo, and bframes, that is 3 instead of 2. How can you control GOP in x264? I don't see such an option.

What if I would try some Scene Rules recommendation anyway? Even when I had my Dual Core laptop that was much slower, I had almost no problems playing back Torrent videos that were HD yet extra small in size. Maybe those methods would help when uploading to Youtube as well.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    That is the correct conclusion: encoded wrong.
    That's in incorrect conclusion. There's nothing "wrong" with any of the encodings.

Capping the bitrate of videos you upload to youtube won't help. Youtube reencodes everything you upload and will cap the bitrate for those encodings before playing them.

In your first post the "not lagging" video is 30p youtube video captured at 30p. The "lagging" video is a 50p or 60p video captured at 30p. It looks to me like your computers simply can't play 1080p50 or 1080p60 smoothly.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    That is the correct conclusion: encoded wrong.
    That's in incorrect conclusion. There's nothing "wrong" with any of the encodings.

Capping the bitrate of videos you upload to youtube won't help. Youtube reencodes everything you upload and will cap the bitrate for those encodings before playing them.

In your first post the "not lagging" video is 30p youtube video captured at 30p. The "lagging" video is a 50p or 60p video captured at 30p. It looks to me like your computers simply can't play 1080p50 or 1080p60 smoothly.
    Excuse me, but I have to correct this.

The lagging video was 50i deinterlaced to 50p, uploaded to Youtube, played back on 60Hz screen and recorded with 25p. The not lagging video was I don't know what format originally, but Youtube plays it back at 1080 50p, I watched that on the same screen, and recorded the same way. This is that video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0xgzn7JO_k

But it is only interesting until the playback on Youtube. With my recording process I couldn't show every lagging properly, when the playback of the video slows down momentarity when you move the mouse, but you can hear when the music is skipping as well in my video, that is another symptom. So you can notice the essence, the rest: how it is displayed and recorded is not interesting.

It makes no sense debating on whether the conversion was done correctly or not, or whether my laptop is capable of playing back 50p videos correctly. The essence is that it can play them back correctly, as it can be seen from certain Youtube videos, but not the ones that I create. So the question is, how to create ones that can play them back.

It is the same problem like in case of my old computer. Most videos were lagging, but when I noticed videos created with HcEnc on default settings are not lagging, I had no problem any more on my old computer either. Or my TV was the same: 1080 50i capable TV, released in 2011: 50i videos rendered in Vegas with the Main Concept AVC option were lagging and skipping, videos rendered with the Sony AVC option were not lagging. No matter the TV supported 50i and the same bitrate was used. So as examples show, it can be done, the question: how?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also provide the youtube link to a video that is lagging on your laptop
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    the question is, how to create ones that can play them back
    If you think the problem is bitrate peaks you can use x264's vbv settings to limit bitrate peaks -- with either crf or bitrate based encoding.

http://www.chaneru.com/Roku/HLS/X264_Settings.htm#vbv-maxrate

GOP size is probably not an issue. But streaming usually uses about 1 second GOPs, ie 50 frames for 50 fps video. Youtube appears to use about 250 frame GOPs.

Decreasing ref from 5 to 4 may help.

Here's a list of all the versions available at youtube obtained with "yt-dlp -F https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0xgzn7JO_k"
    Code:
    ID      EXT   RESOLUTION FPS CH │   FILESIZE    TBR PROTO │ VCODEC           VBR ACODEC      ABR ASR MORE INFO
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    sb2     mhtml 48x27        0    │                   mhtml │ images                                   storyboard
    sb1     mhtml 80x45        0    │                   mhtml │ images                                   storyboard
    sb0     mhtml 160x90       0    │                   mhtml │ images                                   storyboard
    233     mp4   audio only        │                   m3u8  │ audio only           unknown             Default
    234     mp4   audio only        │                   m3u8  │ audio only           unknown             Default
    249-drc webm  audio only      2 │    3.35MiB    55k https │ audio only           opus        55k 48k low, DRC, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    250-drc webm  audio only      2 │    4.44MiB    73k https │ audio only           opus        73k 48k low, DRC, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    139-drc m4a   audio only      2 │    2.98MiB    49k https │ audio only           mp4a.40.5   49k 22k low, DRC, m4a_dash
    249     webm  audio only      2 │    3.43MiB    56k https │ audio only           opus        56k 48k low, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    250     webm  audio only      2 │    4.56MiB    75k https │ audio only           opus        75k 48k low, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    139     m4a   audio only      2 │    2.91MiB    48k https │ audio only           mp4a.40.5   48k 22k low, m4a_dash
    251-drc webm  audio only      2 │    8.67MiB   142k https │ audio only           opus       142k 48k medium, DRC, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    140-drc m4a   audio only      2 │    7.91MiB   129k https │ audio only           mp4a.40.2  129k 44k medium, DRC, m4a_dash
    251     webm  audio only      2 │    8.91MiB   146k https │ audio only           opus       146k 48k medium, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    140     m4a   audio only      2 │    7.77MiB   127k https │ audio only           mp4a.40.2  127k 44k medium, m4a_dash
    278     webm  256x144     25    │    5.86MiB    96k https │ vp9              96k video only          144p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    269     mp4   256x144     25    │ ~ 10.36MiB   169k m3u8  │ avc1.4D400C     169k video only
    160     mp4   256x144     25    │    3.98MiB    65k https │ avc1.4D400C      65k video only          144p, mp4_dash
    603     mp4   256x144     25    │ ~ 10.33MiB   169k m3u8  │ vp09.00.11.08   169k video only
    242     webm  426x240     25    │   12.08MiB   198k https │ vp9             198k video only          240p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    229     mp4   426x240     25    │ ~ 20.21MiB   330k m3u8  │ avc1.4D4015     330k video only
    133     mp4   426x240     25    │   15.01MiB   246k https │ avc1.4D4015     246k video only          240p, mp4_dash
    604     mp4   426x240     25    │ ~ 19.81MiB   324k m3u8  │ vp09.00.20.08   324k video only
    18      mp4   640x360     25  2 │ ≈ 34.11MiB   558k https │ avc1.42001E          mp4a.40.2       44k 360p, THROTTLED
    243     webm  640x360     25    │   23.23MiB   380k https │ vp9             380k video only          360p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    230     mp4   640x360     25    │ ~ 49.65MiB   812k m3u8  │ avc1.4D401E     812k video only
    134     mp4   640x360     25    │   26.37MiB   432k https │ avc1.4D401E     432k video only          360p, mp4_dash
    605     mp4   640x360     25    │ ~ 39.12MiB   640k m3u8  │ vp09.00.21.08   640k video only
    244     webm  854x480     25    │   42.99MiB   703k https │ vp9             703k video only          480p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    231     mp4   854x480     25    │ ~ 87.32MiB  1428k m3u8  │ avc1.4D401E    1428k video only
    135     mp4   854x480     25    │   57.58MiB   942k https │ avc1.4D401E     942k video only          480p, mp4_dash
    606     mp4   854x480     25    │ ~ 66.84MiB  1093k m3u8  │ vp09.00.30.08  1093k video only
    136     mp4   1280x720    25    │  116.61MiB  1908k https │ avc1.4d401f    1908k video only          720p, THROTTLED, mp4_dash
    247     webm  1280x720    25    │   89.38MiB  1463k https │ vp9            1463k video only          720p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    302     webm  1280x720    50    │  151.89MiB  2485k https │ vp9            2485k video only          720p50, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    311     mp4   1280x720    50    │ ~231.73MiB  3789k m3u8  │ avc1.4D4020    3789k video only
    298     mp4   1280x720    50    │  190.85MiB  3123k https │ avc1.4D4020    3123k video only          720p50, mp4_dash
    612     mp4   1280x720    50    │ ~215.71MiB  3527k m3u8  │ vp09.00.40.08  3527k video only
    303     webm  1920x1080   50    │  264.57MiB  4329k https │ vp9            4329k video only          1080p50, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    312     mp4   1920x1080   50    │ ~387.00MiB  6328k m3u8  │ avc1.64002A    6328k video only
    299     mp4   1920x1080   50    │  334.68MiB  5476k https │ avc1.64002A    5476k video only          1080p50, mp4_dash
    617     mp4   1920x1080   50    │ ~353.95MiB  5788k m3u8  │ vp09.00.41.08  5788k video only
    308     webm  2560x1440   50    │  779.77MiB 12759k https │ vp9           12759k video only          1440p50, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    623     mp4   2560x1440   50    │ ~  1.02GiB 17012k m3u8  │ vp09.00.50.08 17012k video only
    315     webm  3840x2160   50    │    1.57GiB 26286k https │ vp9           26286k video only          2160p50, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    628     mp4   3840x2160   50    │ ~  1.94GiB 32427k m3u8  │ vp09.00.51.08 32427k video only
    You can download one of the the 1920x1080 avc videos, plus m4a audio with:

Code:
    yt-dlp -f 299+139 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0xgzn7JO_k
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Jul 2024 at 11:53.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    the question is, how to create ones that can play them back
    If you think the problem is bitrate peaks you can use x264's vbv settings to limit bitrate peaks -- with either crf or bitrate based encoding.

http://www.chaneru.com/Roku/HLS/X264_Settings.htm#vbv-maxrate

GOP size is probably not an issue. But streaming usually uses about 1 second GOPs, ie 50 frames for 50 fps video. Youtube appears to use about 250 frame GOPs.

Decreasing ref from 5 to 4 may help.

Here's a list of all the versions available at youtube obtained with "yt-dlp -F https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0xgzn7JO_k"
    Code:
    ID      EXT   RESOLUTION FPS CH │   FILESIZE    TBR PROTO │ VCODEC           VBR ACODEC      ABR ASR MORE INFO
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    sb2     mhtml 48x27        0    │                   mhtml │ images                                   storyboard
    sb1     mhtml 80x45        0    │                   mhtml │ images                                   storyboard
    sb0     mhtml 160x90       0    │                   mhtml │ images                                   storyboard
    233     mp4   audio only        │                   m3u8  │ audio only           unknown             Default
    234     mp4   audio only        │                   m3u8  │ audio only           unknown             Default
    249-drc webm  audio only      2 │    3.35MiB    55k https │ audio only           opus        55k 48k low, DRC, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    250-drc webm  audio only      2 │    4.44MiB    73k https │ audio only           opus        73k 48k low, DRC, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    139-drc m4a   audio only      2 │    2.98MiB    49k https │ audio only           mp4a.40.5   49k 22k low, DRC, m4a_dash
    249     webm  audio only      2 │    3.43MiB    56k https │ audio only           opus        56k 48k low, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    250     webm  audio only      2 │    4.56MiB    75k https │ audio only           opus        75k 48k low, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    139     m4a   audio only      2 │    2.91MiB    48k https │ audio only           mp4a.40.5   48k 22k low, m4a_dash
    251-drc webm  audio only      2 │    8.67MiB   142k https │ audio only           opus       142k 48k medium, DRC, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    140-drc m4a   audio only      2 │    7.91MiB   129k https │ audio only           mp4a.40.2  129k 44k medium, DRC, m4a_dash
    251     webm  audio only      2 │    8.91MiB   146k https │ audio only           opus       146k 48k medium, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    140     m4a   audio only      2 │    7.77MiB   127k https │ audio only           mp4a.40.2  127k 44k medium, m4a_dash
    278     webm  256x144     25    │    5.86MiB    96k https │ vp9              96k video only          144p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    269     mp4   256x144     25    │ ~ 10.36MiB   169k m3u8  │ avc1.4D400C     169k video only
    160     mp4   256x144     25    │    3.98MiB    65k https │ avc1.4D400C      65k video only          144p, mp4_dash
    603     mp4   256x144     25    │ ~ 10.33MiB   169k m3u8  │ vp09.00.11.08   169k video only
    242     webm  426x240     25    │   12.08MiB   198k https │ vp9             198k video only          240p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    229     mp4   426x240     25    │ ~ 20.21MiB   330k m3u8  │ avc1.4D4015     330k video only
    133     mp4   426x240     25    │   15.01MiB   246k https │ avc1.4D4015     246k video only          240p, mp4_dash
    604     mp4   426x240     25    │ ~ 19.81MiB   324k m3u8  │ vp09.00.20.08   324k video only
    18      mp4   640x360     25  2 │ ≈ 34.11MiB   558k https │ avc1.42001E          mp4a.40.2       44k 360p, THROTTLED
    243     webm  640x360     25    │   23.23MiB   380k https │ vp9             380k video only          360p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    230     mp4   640x360     25    │ ~ 49.65MiB   812k m3u8  │ avc1.4D401E     812k video only
    134     mp4   640x360     25    │   26.37MiB   432k https │ avc1.4D401E     432k video only          360p, mp4_dash
    605     mp4   640x360     25    │ ~ 39.12MiB   640k m3u8  │ vp09.00.21.08   640k video only
    244     webm  854x480     25    │   42.99MiB   703k https │ vp9             703k video only          480p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    231     mp4   854x480     25    │ ~ 87.32MiB  1428k m3u8  │ avc1.4D401E    1428k video only
    135     mp4   854x480     25    │   57.58MiB   942k https │ avc1.4D401E     942k video only          480p, mp4_dash
    606     mp4   854x480     25    │ ~ 66.84MiB  1093k m3u8  │ vp09.00.30.08  1093k video only
    136     mp4   1280x720    25    │  116.61MiB  1908k https │ avc1.4d401f    1908k video only          720p, THROTTLED, mp4_dash
    247     webm  1280x720    25    │   89.38MiB  1463k https │ vp9            1463k video only          720p, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    302     webm  1280x720    50    │  151.89MiB  2485k https │ vp9            2485k video only          720p50, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    311     mp4   1280x720    50    │ ~231.73MiB  3789k m3u8  │ avc1.4D4020    3789k video only
    298     mp4   1280x720    50    │  190.85MiB  3123k https │ avc1.4D4020    3123k video only          720p50, mp4_dash
    612     mp4   1280x720    50    │ ~215.71MiB  3527k m3u8  │ vp09.00.40.08  3527k video only
    303     webm  1920x1080   50    │  264.57MiB  4329k https │ vp9            4329k video only          1080p50, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    312     mp4   1920x1080   50    │ ~387.00MiB  6328k m3u8  │ avc1.64002A    6328k video only
    299     mp4   1920x1080   50    │  334.68MiB  5476k https │ avc1.64002A    5476k video only          1080p50, mp4_dash
    617     mp4   1920x1080   50    │ ~353.95MiB  5788k m3u8  │ vp09.00.41.08  5788k video only
    308     webm  2560x1440   50    │  779.77MiB 12759k https │ vp9           12759k video only          1440p50, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    623     mp4   2560x1440   50    │ ~  1.02GiB 17012k m3u8  │ vp09.00.50.08 17012k video only
    315     webm  3840x2160   50    │    1.57GiB 26286k https │ vp9           26286k video only          2160p50, THROTTLED, webm_dash
    628     mp4   3840x2160   50    │ ~  1.94GiB 32427k m3u8  │ vp09.00.51.08 32427k video only
    You can download one of the the 1920x1080 avc videos, plus m4a audio with:

Code:
    yt-dlp -f 299+139 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0xgzn7JO_k
    For me Youtube is showing it is streaming the VP9 webm version of the video. What if I would reconvert to that format. I downloaded qencoder, it tried it, it seems to do nothing, or something is taking very long, the fan is speeding up but the meter is always at 0%. I tried the ffmpeg.exe in its library though, and that seems to start and work. What would be the optimal script for my video? I have no clue which CRF setting would fit Youtube, and whether to leave audio or not. I have found this command line, but my machine has only 4 threads and I have no clue what the title column and g parameters are for:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -b:v 0 -tile-columns 2 -g 240 -threads 8 -quality good -crf 31 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 1 -an -f null
    ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -b:v 0 -tile-columns 3 -g 240 -threads 8 -quality good -crf 31 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -c:a libopus -pass 2 -speed 4 -y output.webm
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm not real familiar with VP9 but from what I just read:

-g is the GOP size. This is standard for the ffmpeg command line.

VP9 multithreads by splitting the frame into tiles, ie strips. Each strip is encoded by a thread; the tiles are reassembled upon decompression. The number of columns is 2^N where N is the -tile-columns value you specify. So 2 means 2^2 or 4 tiles across the width of the frame. 3 means 2^3 or 8 tiles. There's also a tile-rows value for splitting the height too. With your 2 core 4 thread CPU you'll probably get the fastest encoding with -tile-columns 1 and -tile-rows 1 and -threads 4. ffmpeg is usually pretty good about picking optimal values for things like this so you may not need to specify any of that. It's easy enough to test.

you can get a list of vp9 settings with:

Code:
    ffmpeg -? encoder=libvpx-vp9
    or with output re-directed to a file:

Code:
    ffmpeg -? encoder=libvpx-vp9 >help_libvpx-vp9.txt
    Code:
    Encoder libvpx-vp9 [libvpx VP9]:
        General capabilities: dr1 delay threads 
        Threading capabilities: other
        Supported pixel formats: yuv420p yuva420p yuv422p yuv440p yuv444p yuv420p10le yuv422p10le yuv440p10le yuv444p10le yuv420p12le yuv422p12le yuv440p12le yuv444p12le gbrp gbrp10le gbrp12le
    libvpx-vp9 encoder AVOptions:
      -lag-in-frames     <int>        E..V....... Number of frames to look ahead for alternate reference frame selection (from -1 to INT_MAX) (default -1)
      -arnr-maxframes    <int>        E..V....... altref noise reduction max frame count (from -1 to INT_MAX) (default -1)
      -arnr-strength     <int>        E..V....... altref noise reduction filter strength (from -1 to INT_MAX) (default -1)
      -arnr-type         <int>        E..V....... altref noise reduction filter type (from -1 to INT_MAX) (default -1)
         backward        1            E..V.......
         forward         2            E..V.......
         centered        3            E..V.......
      -tune              <int>        E..V....... Tune the encoding to a specific scenario (from -1 to INT_MAX) (default -1)
         psnr            0            E..V.......
         ssim            1            E..V.......
      -deadline          <int>        E..V....... Time to spend encoding, in microseconds. (from INT_MIN to INT_MAX) (default good)
         best            0            E..V.......
         good            1000000      E..V.......
         realtime        1            E..V.......
      -error-resilient   <flags>      E..V....... Error resilience configuration (default 0)
         default                      E..V....... Improve resiliency against losses of whole frames
         partitions                   E..V....... The frame partitions are independently decodable by the bool decoder, meaning that partitions can be decoded even though earlier partitions have been lost. Note that intra prediction is still done over the partition boundary.
      -max-intra-rate    <int>        E..V....... Maximum I-frame bitrate (pct) 0=unlimited (from -1 to INT_MAX) (default -1)
      -crf               <int>        E..V....... Select the quality for constant quality mode (from -1 to 63) (default -1)
      -static-thresh     <int>        E..V....... A change threshold on blocks below which they will be skipped by the encoder (from 0 to INT_MAX) (default 0)
      -drop-threshold    <int>        E..V....... Frame drop threshold (from INT_MIN to INT_MAX) (default 0)
      -noise-sensitivity <int>        E..V....... Noise sensitivity (from 0 to 4) (default 0)
      -undershoot-pct    <int>        E..V....... Datarate undershoot (min) target (%) (from -1 to 100) (default -1)
      -overshoot-pct     <int>        E..V....... Datarate overshoot (max) target (%) (from -1 to 1000) (default -1)
      -ts-parameters     <dictionary> E..V....... Temporal scaling configuration using a :-separated list of key=value parameters
      -auto-alt-ref      <int>        E..V....... Enable use of alternate reference frames (2-pass only) (from -1 to 6) (default -1)
      -cpu-used          <int>        E..V....... Quality/Speed ratio modifier (from -8 to 8) (default 1)
      -lossless          <int>        E..V....... Lossless mode (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
      -tile-columns      <int>        E..V....... Number of tile columns to use, log2 (from -1 to 6) (default -1)
      -tile-rows         <int>        E..V....... Number of tile rows to use, log2 (from -1 to 2) (default -1)
      -frame-parallel    <boolean>    E..V....... Enable frame parallel decodability features (default auto)
      -aq-mode           <int>        E..V....... adaptive quantization mode (from -1 to 4) (default -1)
         none            0            E..V....... Aq not used
         variance        1            E..V....... Variance based Aq
         complexity      2            E..V....... Complexity based Aq
         cyclic          3            E..V....... Cyclic Refresh Aq
         equator360      4            E..V....... 360 video Aq
      -level             <float>      E..V....... Specify level (from -1 to 6.2) (default -1)
      -row-mt            <boolean>    E..V....... Row based multi-threading (default auto)
      -tune-content      <int>        E..V....... Tune content type (from -1 to 2) (default -1)
         default         0            E..V....... Regular video content
         screen          1            E..V....... Screen capture content
         film            2            E..V....... Film content; improves grain retention
      -corpus-complexity <int>        E..V....... corpus vbr complexity midpoint (from -1 to 10000) (default -1)
      -enable-tpl        <boolean>    E..V....... Enable temporal dependency model (default auto)
      -min-gf-interval   <int>        E..V....... Minimum golden/alternate reference frame interval (from -1 to INT_MAX) (default -1)
      -speed             <int>        E..V.......  (from -16 to 16) (default 1)
      -quality           <int>        E..V.......  (from INT_MIN to INT_MAX) (default good)
         best            0            E..V.......
         good            1000000      E..V.......
         realtime        1            E..V.......
      -vp8flags          <flags>      E..V.......  (default 0)
         error_resilient              E..V....... enable error resilience
         altref                       E..V....... enable use of alternate reference frames (VP8/2-pass only)
      -arnr_max_frames   <int>        E..V....... altref noise reduction max frame count (from 0 to 15) (default 0)
      -arnr_strength     <int>        E..V....... altref noise reduction filter strength (from 0 to 6) (default 3)
      -arnr_type         <int>        E..V....... altref noise reduction filter type (from 1 to 3) (default 3)
      -rc_lookahead      <int>        E..V....... Number of frames to look ahead for alternate reference frame selection (from 0 to 25) (default 25)
      -sharpness         <int>        E..V....... Increase sharpness at the expense of lower PSNR (from -1 to 7) (default -1)
    Try encoding with something like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i source.mp4 -g 240 -quality good -crf 18 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -c:a libopus -speed 4 -y output.webm
    Once again, beyond frame size and frame rate, it shouldn't matter what you upload. Youtube will reencode with the settings it wants. It's generally recommended you upload with the highest bitrate you can tolerate -- so youtube at least starts with a high quality video.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Jul 2024 at 17:11.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Well, the only difference left to consider in that case is the video format. The video that is not lagging for me on Youtube is streamed in VP9, the lagging video is AVC. The only problem is if I upload the 1080 50p VP9 video, Youtube still streams that as AVC. Have no clue how the other uploader could force VP9.
    Quote Quote  
  23. The requirement used to be in order to get VP9 treatment on YT (ie. to make VP9 versions available for viewers), either you have to be a "VIP" with many viewers , or upload something 2560x1440 or greater (upscale if you have to) . It does not matter what you do for the upload in terms of the compression type or settings, that does not affect what YT uses for re-encoding choices
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    Have no clue how the other uploader could force VP9.
    By uploading a 3840x2160 video.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PDR
    The requirement used to be in order to get VP9 treatment on YT...or upload something 2560x1440 or greater
    This is still the case. 1440 vertical size is the trigger; for example, 1920x1440 will trigger VP9 encoding by YT.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 13th Jul 2024 at 22:51. Reason: Example note added.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Another thing to keep in mind: playing the video on youtube means your browser is doing the work, not VLC. One may be using hardware encoding the other not. If both are using software decoding, they are using different software. So you don't necessarily expect the same result from both.

Your best solution is to stop buying 10 year old laptops. Get something more modern.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    You may be right particularly about that playback thing, but it is useless to debate about accelerations when the situation is that seemingly there are scenarios when there is no lagging, so it would be more useful to investigate how that is possible than debating about what causes the lagging in the other video on the hardware side.

What to buy is an oversimplification of the problem in my philosophy. Millions is the world have worse device than mine, if they have any, and when my target audience is among them, it would be unwary to just let their playback problems be overlooked when actually there seem to be solutions. But it is just one part of the story, because personally I noticed there are instances when a modern device does not necessarily perform better, and annoying situations can occur. A good example is our new LG Smart TV that was quite expensive, but handles simple mpeg2 videos with such a struggle sometimes that our 12 year old Philips TV expells it in most situations. But I could also mention that case again with the MainConcept AVC rendering option in Vegas: the 1080 50i videos it created was lagging sometimes on that 2012 manufactured Philips, when that 1080 50i technology was 4-5 years old at least by then, moreover the TV supported that format anyway. And as soon as you switched to other mp4 rendering methods, that problem was gone. Or the classic example from that era: anything I recorded with my Canon camcorders were big, so much that my laptop back then was unable to handle it, the source and rendered files were lagging, renders were big, while HD videos downloaded from Torrent were ridiculously small, sharp, and were never lagging. You could obviously see back then that my laptop was not suitable handling the HD videos, yet you were confused about how they could render videos for torrents so effectively that they played fine even on my laptop. So all in all, what I learnt during the years about video technology is that many times you don't get what you expect for your money and playability of even outdated technologies are often a problem on most of the devices owned by users.

In this particular case I know: if I purchased the new flagship Asus Rog, verly likely I would have no such problems. But would that help on the multitude of viewers who would be still annoyed, especially when it seems there would be solution for them, too? And I use the word: very likely, because personally I experienced it very rarely that the expensive devices I purchased performed 100% as you expected. There were cases like that: in the 80's when we used turntables, and you purchased a good Thorens turntable, it was worth the money. But I could buy the expensive Sony SA CD player in the 2000's, it could not play CDs any more when they had some small scratches, ones that basic quality players could easily handle, and failed to play the newly purchased Sony release Shakira CD, because their own copy protection technology confused their own player. So yes, very likely a better machine would do better job, but until I can solve things other way I don't want the new disappointments. Better stick to what works anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  28. it seems it's a decoding issue, the video that is not lagging is vp9 and the one that is lagging is avc.

my guess is that the vp9 video is always being decoded by the gpu and the avc video is sometimes being decoded by the cpu because the video may not conform to an avc profile that is supported for hardware acceleration by your video card.

i have stopped using avc and hevc, i only use mpeg-2, vp9 or av1,
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Try encoding with something like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i source.mp4 -g 240 -quality good -crf 18 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -c:a libopus -speed 4 -y output.webm
    Once again, beyond frame size and frame rate, it shouldn't matter what you upload. Youtube will reencode with the settings it wants. It's generally recommended you upload with the highest bitrate you can tolerate -- so youtube at least starts with a high quality video.
    ffmpeg has a -threads parameter, but I am reading at certain places that it tends to work oddly. For this CPU, what would be the optimal threads value for ffmpeg?
    Amd Ryzen 5 3600xt

6 cores 12 threads

I see you included -speed in the command what is that for?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by frank_footer View Post
    it seems it's a decoding issue, the video that is not lagging is vp9 and the one that is lagging is avc.

my guess is that the vp9 video is always being decoded by the gpu and the avc video is sometimes being decoded by the cpu because the video may not conform to an avc profile that is supported for hardware acceleration by your video card.

i have stopped using avc and hevc, i only use mpeg-2, vp9 or av1,
    we'll see I do a test soon and then it will turn out

what do you use to render into vp9?
    Quote Quote