VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.
    So I am in need of some assistance please. I have tried the search function but could not find the answer to my problem.

So I have a file downloaded from my CCTV camera which was recorded as an H256X file format.
    I have no way to play this file back on my PC. I also cannot play it in the CCTV software once downloaded from the camera. Quite useless in my opinion.

Anyway I need the file to be converted ASAP as it has captured a break-in and theft of a car from a house opposite and the Police have asked for a copy.
    I sent them what I have but they are also unable to convert / view the file.

I assume it has something to do with the X on the end of the file? As when I search online for a H256X converter ALL results come back as H256 minus the X. I have no idea how to remove the X from the file name.

So if I post the file PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone convert it for me and send it back so I can upload to the police link?

Where / how would I upload it as I did try here and this the result: 01_2024-06-16_041000_041500.h265x - Invalid File
    There is a copy renamed as an MP4 uploaded but that does not work / play.

Thanks. Wayne
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your file has no content (160 Bytes!!) and is useless.
    Post the correct file, so we can take a look.
    zip the file, so you can post it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    File zipped and uploaded. Do not know where it is though as I cannot see it?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Remove the x from the extension. Many programs will be able to open the resulting file.

Remuxed (after rename) to mp4 with ffmpeg...
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you jagabo. I did try to remove the x from the extension by: Right click - properties - rename. Theat wouldn't let me change the extension.
    How would I change it for future reference please?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Insane Wayne View Post
    Thank you jagabo. I did try to remove the x from the extension by: Right click - properties - rename. Theat wouldn't let me change the extension.
    How would I change it for future reference please?

Thanks again.
    You don't have rightclick, rename?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Yes I do as stated in the quote you replied to. So to clarify:

I did try to remove the x from the extension by: Right click - properties - rename. That wouldn't let me change the extension.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Insane Wayne View Post
    Yes I do as stated in the quote you replied to. So to clarify:

I did try to remove the x from the extension by: Right click - properties - rename. That wouldn't let me change the extension.
    Not
    Right click - properties - rename, but only right click - rename.
    What is your OS?
    Last edited by ProWo; 10th Jul 2024 at 07:56.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not
    Right click - properties - rename, but only right click - rename.
    What is your OS?
    Same happens with right click rename. I can rename as .h265 and save.
    When I hover my mouse over the file afterwards it still says:TYPE H256X file
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, just right click -> rename. If that doesn't work reboot the computer (in case some crashed but still running program has the file open) then try again.

If you can't see the extensions from Explorer, change View (menu bar) -> Options -> Change Folder and Search Options -> View (tab) -> Advanced Settings -> Hide Extensions For Known File Types to unchecked.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Jul 2024 at 08:13.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Insane Wayne View Post
    Same happens with right click rename. I can rename as .h265 and save.
    When I hover my mouse over the file afterwards it still says:TYPE H256X file
    I think the second fix in my prior post will fix this. Windows tries to protect you from accidentally changing extensions by not showing them in Explorer. If you try to rename video.h26fx without seeing the extension you will end up with a file named video.h265.h265x. So the extension remains unchanged (and unseen), you just added .h265 to the base name.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you can't see the extensions from Explorer, change View (menu bar) -> Options -> Change Folder and Search Options -> View (tab) -> Advanced Settings -> Hide Extensions For Known File Types to unchecked.
    Thank you. I followed your instructions and was able to change the file extension. Something so simple but can cause so much grief if you are not aware of it. So thank you again. Now to try and convert the file myself and see if I have any success with that.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Insane Wayne View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Thank you. I followed your instructions and was able to change the file extension. Something so simple but can cause so much grief if you are not aware of it. So thank you again. Now to try and convert the file myself and see if I have any success with that.
    No need to convert it.
    Mux it to mp4 or mkv.
    Quote Quote