VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Looks like you cannot handle that one for now. It is most advanced and complex thing to set up for Avisynth. I'd recommend small steps first. Instead use BWDIF deinterlacer to 60p. Maybe later try to set up QTGMC deinterlacer. Not now.

Only after you manage to make BWDIF deinterlacer to work, only then proceed to set up QTGMC.

How to set up BWDIF, manual here, read it, yes read it, it takes hours to set up things like that first time.
    I think you have Avisynth+ installed. Make sure it is 64bit version.
    Then download DLL for BWDIF, download from that bwdif web page, 7z file to download is on the top page on the right. Unzip it using 7z file manager or maybe windows can unzip it as well, not sure. After you unzip it you find Bwdif.dlll in that directory.

Move that dll into C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth+\plugins64+ directory

Using avspmod use script:
    Code:
    AviSource("blah.avi")
    BWDIF(field=3)
    note, using manual to make that top field first video to double frame rate is set up by argument field. In our case field=3. That what is a manual for. Almost always read a manual for a filter and choose a proper arguments. There is a reason why filters have many arguments, different videos and different needs need to have different values.

Not sure if bwdif accepts 10bit video, as was your avi, perhaps yes. But to encode video to 8bit mp4 (video H.264 and audio AAC) perhaps you should end up with 8bit video. Make yourself clear what you want.

After it is working in avspmod preview, you can encode that avisynth script into a video. Not sure how far are you in that problem, if you have tried to encode avisynth script.

Also note, Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable Package (x86 / x64) is needed to be installed on your windows, for that to work
    Last edited by _Al_; 8th Jul 2024 at 01:18.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am not interested in wasting further time in doing things the incorrect way and having to redo them later. Please stick to the topic of the thread, anything off topic will be flagged as threadcrapping.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Don't you see I try to get you going towards seting up QTGMC?
    Threatening, are you serious? With that "interlace" problem of yours you moved forward only me bitching at you for days about samples AND small steps. That was an hour ago. Did you forget about that already? Setting up bwdif is a small step for you to set up qtgmc, knowing that avisynth+, avspmod, or encoder are setup properly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry, I'm just getting really frustrated that I feel like I keep getting pulled in every direction but the one I want to go in.

I've been banging my head against QTGMC with various things here and there, nothing I'd call an understandable overview or instruction, and have managed to get this so far

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wop6v4xpseubin29idseu/test.avi?rlkey=ygn2zmcxi3aafn11nm8cetzlq&dl=0

I'm a bit puzzled at the 59.896 framerate that vegas is picking up when importing it, I was expecting 59.94. Not sure what is up with that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Also , setting up that bwdif is just one of those things you'd need to set up for qtgmc, so it's not like you'd do something in different direction.
    qtgmc needs to set up other fifteen or twenty other dll's, similar like that bwdif.dll so it is exactly what you should do.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Sorry, I'm just getting really frustrated that I feel like I keep getting pulled in every direction but the one I want to go in.

I've been banging my head against QTGMC with various things here and there, nothing I'd call an understandable overview or instruction, and have managed to get this so far

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wop6v4xpseubin29idseu/test.avi?rlkey=ygn2zmcxi3aafn11nm8cetzlq&dl=0

I'm a bit puzzled at the 59.896 framerate that vegas is picking up when importing it, I was expecting 59.94. Not sure what is up with that.
    Your linked example (test.avi) is progressive video. No need to deinterlace any further. Either your camera shot it like this, or a deinterlacer in your workflow kicked in, or your QTGMC installation did its job as expected. Only you can tell.
    Its frame duration is 0.016695 seconds (rounded) which means 1/0.016695=59.898fps which is what Vegas reports apparently (rounded figures). Nothing to worry. Vegas will handle it properly even though it is not exactly the standard 59.94 fps which you expected to see.
    The frame size is 720x540 which means it is already square pixel, so nothing to resize anymore. Either your camera shot it as square pixels or a resizer in your workflow kicked in. Only you can tell.
    Bottom line: Keep as is. Nothing to fix. Don't deinterlace progressive video. No further "technobabble" (your word) needed.
    Uploading samples always helps to give advice.
    Last edited by Sharc; 8th Jul 2024 at 08:23. Reason: typos
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Please advise!

Just use Hybrid. Its the easiest way to deinterlace with qtgmc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Sorry, I'm just getting really frustrated that I feel like I keep getting pulled in every direction but the one I want to go in.

Your linked example (test.avi) is progressive video. No need to deinterlace any further. Either your camera shot it like this, or a deinterlacer in your workflow kicked in, or your QTGMC installation did its job as expected. Only you can tell.
    Its frame duration is 0.016695 seconds (rounded) which means 1/0.016695=59.898fps which is what Vegas reports apparently (rounded figures). Nothing to worry. Vegas will handle it properly even though it is not exactly the standard 59.94 fps which you expected to see.
    The frame size is 720x540 which means it is already square pixel, so nothing to resize anymore. Either your camera shot it as square pixels or a resizer in your workflow kicked in. Only you can tell.
    Bottom line: Keep as is. Nothing to fix. Don't deinterlace progressive video. No further "technobabble" (your word) needed.
    Uploading samples always helps to give advice.
    But Vegas sets a project with a custom fps of 59.898 when I import the video. If I set the project to 59.94, the frames of the video will not align to the frames of the project. Which has me concerned whether or not I do that, if I render to something other than 59.898, it'll do funky things or blend frames or things like that.

Which is a mess.

Why did the QTGMC not give me a standard framerate and instead this non-standard framerate which is going to cause further problems?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Why did the QTGMC not give me a standard framerate and instead this non-standard framerate which is going to cause further problems?
    Probably the framerate of the source was slightly off as well for this short video snippet. It's not QTGMC's fault.
    Put at the end of your script
    Code:
    AssumeFPS(59.94)
    or
    Code:
    AssumeFPS(60000,1001)
    Last edited by Sharc; 8th Jul 2024 at 11:52.
    Quote Quote  
  10. And now virtualdub is giving me files with broken indexes that I can't do a thing with - is there something that will actually give me a working file already?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only get "broken index" errors when Vdub has aborted and I subsequently try to load the partially created file into Vdub.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well, it's happening to me all the damn time, multiple machines, multiple files, multiple attempts. As far as I can tell, virtualdub is a broken pile of crap, and no one seems to have a solution to get consistent stability from file creation for it, or a method to fix the broken files.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Post a few seconds of your original, unprocessed capture (the one which now fails with VirtualDub) so someone may take a look.
    Quote Quote  
  14. But shorter segments don't have the problem. It seems to be that videos over a certain length frequently cause problems with virtualdub and virtualdub2

I've finally found a repair tool, but now that's yet another slow step in the workflow.
    Quote Quote  
  15. If you start with a file that does not have one of those frame rates:

23.976p (24000/1001),
    25p,
    25i,
    29.97p (30000/1001),
    29.97i (30000/1001)
    50p
    59.94p (60000/1001)

maybe 30p or 60p

You basically must repair that video for your project, you are fixing a video, if your video does not have that frame rate.
    Doing that outside of Avisynth you are bound for freak results.

qtgmc is a bob deinterlacer. It doubles frame rate. For fixing a frame rate there is avisynth.

You can always let Vegas to fix it, and they use their mighty force of blend or resample to make it to a project frame rate. It will not be optimal, might go out of sync, because video is not right.

With videos like that, weird frame rate , do not let Vegas set properties by your clip. You give it a proper frame rate in properties. If Vegas fails to fix it into that properties frame rate, you have to fix it before hand (whatever, Avisynth, whatever works, AND, there is no manual 1, 2, 3 for that don't ask), example, maybe simple AssumeFPS(59.94) in Avisynth would work, maybe not.
    Quote Quote  
  16. For example, you can try to fix the odd framerate by opening this Avisynth script in VirtualDub2 and encode it to the format you prefer (Cineform, x264 ... etc.)
    Code:
    a=LWLibavAudiosource("test.avi")
    v=LWLibavVideosource("test.avi")
    AudioDub(a,v)
    assumefps(60000,1001)
    Does the attached file import properly in Vegas as 59.94fps?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. It seems the assumefps command fixes the problem here. I have a working method of qtgmc at the moment, although I feel like my windows install is cluttered with so many video tools I installed at times and I have no idea what I do or don't need, for example I now have like 4 avisynth installs. Part of me wants to just wipe out this windows install and start over, but it would be so time consuming to try and rebuild it better this time.

Perhaps another time.

Moving on to figuring out what I want to do with my deinterlaced files now. Some of the camcorder recordings used a letterboxing effect, which ought to be zoomed in and cropped out and formatted for widescreen, but that means pillboxing the segments that don't use it. But of course zooming in on a VHS capture will degrade the quality. I suppose that brings us to the topic of upscaling and the AI tools around these days, but that would be for another thread.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    It seems the assumefps command fixes the problem here. I have a working method of qtgmc at the moment, ...
    Glad that it seems to work for you now.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Army
    As far as I can tell, virtualdub is a broken pile of crap, and no one seems to have a solution to get consistent stability from file creation for it
    If you're not getting a 29.97 capture, I'd say your AIW or Cineform (or your software setup)is a pile of crap, not VDub.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Army
    As far as I can tell, virtualdub is a broken pile of crap, and no one seems to have a solution to get consistent stability from file creation for it
    If you're not getting a 29.97 capture, I'd say your AIW or Cineform (or your software setup)is a pile of crap, not VDub.
    My problem isn't with the capture. I am getting a 29.97 capture. Not sure where you're getting the idea I'm not.

My problem with vdub is that consistently when creating large files, it creates them without an index or with a broken index.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am getting a 29.97 capture.
    Where's this 59.898 file coming from then?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I am getting a 29.97 capture.
    Where's this 59.898 file coming from then?
    beats me, I didn't design QTGMC, don't ask me why it gets screwy with the fps sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  23. The "off" framerate is not a QTGMC issue, it's more likely a problem with your source file, or source filter version
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    My problem isn't with the capture. I am getting a 29.97 capture. Not sure where you're getting the idea I'm not.
    Post a sample.
    Quote Quote