VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. this is the website i want to download Alien Isolation mission 8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MWwf82sPkA&list=PLVQ6T3bxoOVo-DdskI4FQFygSLZLEMOGp&index=9

yt-dlp.exe

with ffmpeg 7.0.1 Windows 64-bit
    yt-config.txt has
    --format best
    --output '%(title)s.%(ext)s'

yt-dlp.exe makes 640x360 resolution and its subtitles are too mushy
    could you fix my yt-config.txt for me to download 760p as 1st priority and maybe 1080p too (because 1080p could be too big a file)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by sommers View Post
    could you fix my yt-config.txt for me to download 760p
    Do you mean 720p?

Try:
    yt-config.txt should be:
    --format-sort res:720
    --output '%(title)s.%(ext)s'
    Last edited by ProWo; 8th Jul 2024 at 02:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your source has a 720p60 version of that video. To download it, you can use a .bat file referring to the youtube's code for that resolution (298) and m4a audio type (140):
    Code:
    yt-dlp -f 298+140 "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MWwf82sPkA"
    pause
    Your ffmpeg in the same folder will mix both into the final mp4 (you'll see it in the log).

Codes for the other available resolutions can be found for that URL using another .bat file:
    Code:
    yt-dlp -F "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MWwf82sPkA"
    pause
    Quote Quote  
  4. SET P0=C:\Programs\YOUTUBE-DL
    SET P3=aria2c.exe
    SET P4=%P0%\WIN10\yt-config.txt
    SET F5=--ffmpeg-location "C:\Programs\FFmpeg\ffmpeg.exe"
    REM ----------------------------
    SET G1=--no-part
    SET G2=--format-sort res:720
    SET G3=--compat-options multistreams
    SET G4=--external-downloader %P3%
    SET G5=--config-location %P4%
    ::SET G6=--output '%(title)s.%(ext)s' does not work in command line
    ::it must be implemented in --config-location yt-config.txt

yt-dlp.exe %F5% %G1% %G2% %G3% %G4% %G5% "website address"

I forgot many ffmpeg.exe and yt-dlp.exe command line syntaxes at the moment
    why doesnt --output '%(title)s.%(ext)s' work in command line? and it only works in --config-location yt-config.txt

now i kind of remember the reason i used --format best was it made all output to MP4

but when --format-sort res:720 was used, it made webm or mkv
    1st stage it makes aaa.f289.mp4 video then
    it makes a sound aaa.webm file
    then it turns them into a aaa.mkv

is there a way to make a final output as MP4? without going through ffmpeg.exe again
    I forgot where i got this --output '%(title)s.%(ext)s, it is not in yt-dlp.txt

--output '%(title)s.mp4' didnt work
    --output bbbb.mp4 didnt work, it just makes bbbb.mp4.mkv

mkv is slower than mp4
    mkv doesnt scroll well like fast forwarding or rewinding
    i dont have a mkv cutter and joiner
    Quote Quote  
  5. You could take a look at the new yt-dlp frontend:
    ytdlp-interface
    Quote Quote  
  6. ytdlp-interface made mp4, worked well as to where my batch with my syntax understanding about ffmpeg.exe and yt-dlp.exe failed.

but i still need to do with my "drag and drop batch" for windows explorer and a batch file that links with ztree

SET URL=%*
    this command makes a drag and drop batch possible

i didnt include in above but i also need these
    SET F1=--write-auto-sub
    SET F2=--sub-lang en
    SET F3=--sub-lang de
    SET F4=--convert-subs srt

SET H1=--exec "C:\ZTREE\SHELL-VIDEO.BAT"
    SET H2=--output "M:\zzz-temp.MP4" (... didnt work well)

in other words, i can max&growing-customize with only a batch file and i can put some batch intelligence into it.

i would like to ask how to convert mkv to mp4 in ffmpeg.exe post some other time.
    i have done this a little bit before, and i forgot much, because currently i dont have a batch file for it.

yt-dlp -f 298+140 "URL" made mp4 and worked well and downloaded about 2 times faster than when aria2c.exe was used(does this mean aria2c.exe is not that good anymore?)
    but i dont know what 298+140 means. the numbers seemed to differ by every other different videos and how would i determine these possible variables?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sommers View Post
    yt-dlp -f 298+140 "URL" made mp4 and worked well and downloaded about 2 times faster than when aria2c.exe was used(does this mean aria2c.exe is not that good anymore?)
    yt-dlp works better without aria2c.

Originally Posted by sommers View Post
    but i dont know what 298+140 means. the numbers seemed to differ by every other different videos and how would i determine these possible variables?
    The numbers refers to the relative streams (298 video, 140 audio).
    To see the numbers, type
    yt-dlp -F "url"

-F to list all available streams
    -f to select the streams
    Quote Quote  
  8. there are many questions here, maybe not organized, please keep that in mind

yt-dlp.exe - 20240707.exe has the same download rate text colors as when aria2c.exe was used. so i think a new yt-dlp.exe probably integrated with aria2c.exe

is there any chance that NEW yt-dlp.exe could download ~1k or ~10k or ~100k bytes/sec, low bit(converted to byte)rate?, i observed this ~10k and ~100k bytes/sec few times. these were the behaviors of Youtube-DL.exe and old yt-dlp.exe before aria2c.exe was introduced, and with it i have never experienced with yt-dlp.exe taking the low bit rate past several years

--format best worked with a new yt-dlp.exe till 2~3 day ago, but currently --format best syntax is NOT working at all with any kind of yt-dlp.exe, old versions and the newest version... this is very strange, i deleted any left cache, no work....is there other cache location or setting location other than C:\Users\AAA\.cache\yt-dlp\ or where yt-dlp.exe was installed?

--format best had a better quality than --format-sort res:360... i need to verify this more. but --format best is not working any more. now i can only tell this by comparing the old videos with the new same videos with --format-sort res:360

all of sudden, yt-dlp.exe DOES NOT convert it to MKV anymore, at the same time --format best is broken in mine, i dont know why

i think --format best probably used the lowest resolution that youtube provided, because i had many videos with 720 with it. and the speed of whatever related(downloading and sampling and codecking or something)was great,

i learned that --format-sort res:720 chooses the resolution closer to 720 from what the youtube video originally provides, thereofore -sort res:NUM doesnt take 600 or 640 or.. any numbers other than 360 480 720.... this will help me greatly

---------------------
    SET G1=-f "bestvideo[vcodec^=avc1][height<=1080]+bestaudio[acodec^=mp4a]/best[vcodec^=avc1][height<=1080]"
    SET G2=--format best

yt-dlp.exe %G1% %G2% URL
    past several years, i used %G1% %G2% both to make subtitles work as below, although now i forgot why two and how, or it was maybe my imagination or maybe was a strange tweak.
    SET F1=--write-auto-sub
    SET F2=--sub-lang en
    SET F3=--sub-lang de
    SET F4=--convert-subs srt

maybe if you can add few words as to what the long G1 does? because it makes 1080 and not 720
    now i changed old G1 and old G2 to a new G2=--format-sort res:720 only

my final thought
    *not making MKV was a big help
    *--format-sort res:720 takes a resolution closer to the original contents
    Last edited by sommers; 11th Jul 2024 at 22:52.
    Quote Quote