VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I decided to copy some VHS tapes to my computer. For this purpose, I bought a GV-USB2 grabber. I also received an S-VIDEO cable. I connect as follows: SCART output of the VCR -> SCART to S-VIDEO adapter, S-VIDEO cable, S-VIDEO grabber input, I configure it and I have a black and white image. I switch to Composite (RCA) and I have a color image. Since I want to rip tapes, I want better image quality. Nothing comes out. I connect it to a DVD recorder. Also with S-VIDEO I have a black and white image, and with RCA I have color! I take a multimeter and I get this connection in the SCART-S-VIDEO adapter.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	schemat scart.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	80448  

Quote Quote  
  2. What model is your VHS player? I seems to simply not support S-Video. A SCART-to-SVideo adaptor does not help in this case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What VCR are you using?
    The S-Video connection on those SCART adapters can only work correctly if there is a S-Video signal available on the SCART, they not convert composite to S-Video.
    Regular VHS players not have S-Video on the SCART connector, only composite video.
    This then will indeed give you a B/W image when using the S-Video connection.

If it IS a S-VHS VCR you have to specifically configure the SCART for composite or S-Video or use the dedicated S-Video connector when available.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jebaniec View Post
    Sharp VC-MH78
    This is a VHS recorder only. It does not support S-VHS (S-Video).
    Quote Quote  
  5. ok. Do you know any converter Component RGB to 4 pin s-video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jebaniec View Post
    ok. Do you know any converter Component RGB to 4 pin s-video?
    Of course there are various signal converters available.
    But if you are thinking about using the SCART RGB output signal for that, that is not going to work with VCR's.
    There is only composite or (with S-VHS) S-Video available on the SCART output of VCR's.
    Quote Quote