VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, in a previous thread i managed to record interlaced with amarectv, the problem is that i get the 50 fields but the video is still stuttering,
    I don't get the smoothness i have when playing my tapes on my CRT.

I noticed that my capture card driver is locked on 25 fps, while my Capture Card says it can record PAL, NTSC, SECAM.

How can I remedy to this ?

Thanks for considering
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's nothing to remedy, you should be capturing at 25 frames per second. On the Graph1 tab, in the Format box, the "25fps" is 25 frames a second, which will yield your capture of 50 fields per second.

How does the video look as you are capturing it ie in the Amarec window? Is it stuttering then or only when you're playing back the AVI?

Other things you can try:

-Go thru my Amarec guide to check settings

-Try a different codec

-Try capturing to a different drive.

If you could post a short clip (~10 seconds), unretouched, the experts can analyse it and may be able to offer some tips.

Stick with it!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Alright, i tried recording with amarectv and then with my phone (30 fps)
    It's less visible when shooting with 30 fps with my phone but still there's no stuttering in the viewfinder, neither on the crt
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's no good. A consumer camcorder would never handle that waving around. I can't even keep up with it myself without feeling sick.

I meant a piece of the footage you have already taken that shows the stuttering. You can use Virtual Dub to trim a clip down to 10 seconds. Put both Video and Audio onto Direct Stream Copy and then Save Video... then attach that here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Here you go, an old footage i got
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. There's nothing wrong with amarec(20240703-1023).avi. It's interlaced, top field first. Deinterlaced with QTGMC(). amarec(20240703-1224).avi is fine too.

You probably failed to encode interlaced with the correct field order, or deinterlaced with the wrong field order (AVI doesn't flag the field order).
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 3rd Jul 2024 at 08:23.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That second sample 1224 is much better for assessing the stutter. I think that is probably pretty realistic given the rough camerawork. You can see the difference after it is deinterlaced. If you double-rate deinterlace (eg VDub Deinterlace filter on YADIF and Double Frame Rate TFF), you get 50 frames per second and the video will be noticeably smoother which is a big bonus in this wobbly case. As per Jagabo's encodes, using QTGMC in AVISynth will yield an even better result.

Firewire would be a bit better still (although it will also benefit from double rate deinterlacing).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hamilthon View Post
    Hi, in a previous thread i managed to record interlaced with amarectv, the problem is that i get the 50 fields but the video is still stuttering,
    I don't get the smoothness i have when playing my tapes on my CRT.
    As mentioned, your captures are fine interlaced.
    Just your PC player does not know it is interlaced and plays it as 25P.
    Also not al codecs support proper flagging the files as interlaced so the players can handle it as such.

If you check the info of your clip, there is no indication of interlacing.
    Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC):
    [Attachment 80396 - Click to enlarge]

If you encode it with correct interlace settings, i used here AviDemux, it should play (more) smoothly on your PC if your player handles interlaced video properly.
    Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC-HC):
    [Attachment 80397 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by The_Doman; 3rd Jul 2024 at 11:59.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Hamilthon, What PC player are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Note that AVI doesn't generally flag videos as interlaced or the field order. It's up to you to specify that when you import the video into an editor or player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I'm using VLC, i think that's it the deinterlaced video jagabo sent me look great, i think i missed something when deinterlacing
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Note that AVI doesn't generally flag videos as interlaced or the field order. It's up to you to specify that when you import the video into an editor or player.
    I think the deinterlacing gone wrong somewhere in the settings, that's why i got a jaggy 25p video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You want to capture interlaced. Worry about deinterlacing (or encoding interlaced, for example DVD) later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hamilthon View Post
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I'm using VLC, i think that's it the deinterlaced video jagabo sent me look great, i think i missed something when deinterlacing
    Again, you should not worry about de-interlacing when capturing.
    Many AVI codecs not support interlacing flagging, but DV does.
    After capturing you should decide to de-interlace your video yourself (see jagabo's clip examples) or keep it interlaced (my clip examples) and let the players/TV do the de-interlacing.
    Both have their pro's and con's, also depends on what your target playout is.

Also you can set VLC to specifically de-interlace too if you want it to.
    De-interlacing playback works better with hardware supported codecs as in the H264 interlaced examples.

[Attachment 80402 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote