VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've ripped lots of retail DVDs last 20 yrs using DVDShrink and I just looked at them and I think all those VOBs that I ripped came out 720x480. Is there a way to rip DVDs to HD VOB or HD MP4 files (1280x720)? (I don't think quality of my ripped VOBs came out as the same quality of the retail DVDs.)
    Are there options in DVDShrink to rip DVDs to different VOB resolutions (1920x1080 or 1280x720)? Ultimately, I'd like to make HD MP4 files from ripped DVDs if that's possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Simple answer is NO. The DVD standard is 720 x 480 or in the case of PAL discs 720 x 512
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only way to make dvdshrink rips to 1280x720 0r 1920x1080 is to re-encode them after the ripping,they won't look and not worth it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cool09 View Post
    ...I don't think quality of my ripped VOBs came out as the same quality of the retail DVDs.
    Then you possibly have ripped with DVDShrink set to fit the videos within certain boundaries. A much used workflow was to set target size to a single layered dvd-disc, forcing videos having to be recoded. At which point you are at the mercy of the encoding quality DVDShrink offers, also in relation to how much "shrink-ratio" is needed. It's been a while since I used DVDShrink, but from what I remember you can set it to not recode video, but rip as-is. Quality will be the same as the original disc but obviously output size will be bigger compared to "shrunk" videos.

Any specific reason why you'd target mp4 container (and not stay with video-dvd or go for mkv for example)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    .... but from what I remember you can set it to not recode video, but rip as-is. Quality will be the same as the original disc but obviously output size will be bigger compared to "shrunk" videos.
    Yes. After importing the DVD select 'No compression' in the Compression Settings tab.
    (Alternatively one can set in the Menu under Preferences .... a custom target size. Set it large enough and DVDShrink won't compress and will preserve the original quality.)
    Also keep in mind when converting to .mp4 or whatever one will loose the DVD menu etc., and just upscaling to HD resolution is usually pointless as it doesn't create any more details. It's still DVD quality.

If you don't need the DVD menus you can probably also use MakeMKV to rip the video files to .mkv preserving the original quality.
    Last edited by Sharc; 2nd Jul 2024 at 04:03.
    Quote Quote