VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Ok, so if the majority of music videos were shot in film in 24p, then perhaps a 24p project is what I could aim for, but still open to suggestions.

So the current episode I'm working on uses this video, which is available from youtube in a 29.97p format.

Not sure how it got to that format, but here's my download for analysis - what would once suggest I do with this?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/c20qs48qvtgw47q3wn25s/Steve-Perry-Oh-Sherrie-Video.mp4?...7sdygprwd&dl=0

If you step through the video, every 4th, 5th frame are duplicates . TDecimate() default settings are 1 in 5 decimation, that gives you 23.976p unique frames/s

The most common cause of this problem is deinterlacing a telecined source . It should have been field matched, then decimated to return the original film frames
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Ok, so if the majority of music videos were shot in film in 24p, then perhaps a 24p project is what I could aim for, but still open to suggestions.

So the current episode I'm working on uses this video, which is available from youtube in a 29.97p format.

Not sure how it got to that format, but here's my download for analysis - what would once suggest I do with this?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/c20qs48qvtgw47q3wn25s/Steve-Perry-Oh-Sherrie-Video.mp4?...7sdygprwd&dl=0

If you step through the video, every 4th, 5th frame are duplicates . TDecimate() default settings are 1 in 5 decimation, that gives you 23.976p unique frames/s

The most common cause of this problem is deinterlacing a telecined source . It should have been field matched, then decimated to return the original film frames
    Excellent info - how do I do this?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post

Excellent info - how do I do this?
    Write a script

e.g.

Code:
    LSmashVideoSource("Steve Perry - Oh Sherrie (Video).mp4")
    TDecimate()
    That is for video only .

If you want to pass audio in the script:

Code:
    aud = LSmashAudioSource("Steve Perry - Oh Sherrie (Video).mp4")

LSmashVideoSource("Steve Perry - Oh Sherrie (Video).mp4")
    TDecimate()
    vid=last

Audiodub(vid,aud)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Where do I use this code? Only thing I've been using that has anything like this is avspmod, but this gives me an error "there is no function named LSmashVideoSource"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Where do I use this code? Only thing I've been using that has anything like this is avspmod, but this gives me an error "there is no function named LSmashVideoSource"
    avspmod is a great script editor , that will work

LSmashVideoSource is a source filter, that can open MP4/MOV without indexing . It's part of lsmash.dll

https://github.com/HomeOfAviSynthPlusEvolution/L-SMASH-Works/releases
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Where do I use this code? Only thing I've been using that has anything like this is avspmod, but this gives me an error "there is no function named LSmashVideoSource"
    avspmod is a great script editor , that will work

LSmashVideoSource is a source filter, that can open MP4/MOV without indexing . It's part of lsmash.dll

https://github.com/HomeOfAviSynthPlusEvolution/L-SMASH-Works/releases
    Ok - the processes I've followed had me opening the scripts in vdub, but when I use vdub I have to set a compression there.

I'd rather run this as a passthrough type thing, that is, end with the same format, just with less frames.

How do I accomplish this?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post

Ok - the processes I've followed had me opening the scripts in vdub, but when I use vdub I have to set a compression there.

I'd rather run this as a passthrough type thing, that is, end with the same format, just with less frames.

You can't really "passthrough", because avisynth frameserves uncompressed video and audio

You can't decimate an already lossy temporal compressed video (such as that YT video) without decoding first to uncompressed anyways .

In theory , if you had an I-frame format, you could discard every 5th frame, as a passthrough

So unless you're ok with uncompressed video/audio, you usually re-encode. If you're using that in another larger project, that's what I would do .

You could frameserve into vegas using avfs, but once you have many scripts, it becomes unstable. There is lots of overhead. A few should be ok
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

You can't really "passthrough", because avisynth frameserves uncompressed video and audio

You can't decimate an already lossy temporal compressed video (such as that one) without decoding first anyways
    Ok, what should I output to then?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post

An intermediate format suitable for vegas. For me and many users - that was cineform for many years.

Some recent reports of people having problems with it, however . If you're one of those having problems with cineform in vegas, maybe Prores or DNxHR .

Or high bitrate , short GOP or I frame AVC in MP4 works fine too. Actually at very high bitrates, the quality can 5-15 dB higher than even ProresXQ4444 or Cineform FS3
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

An intermediate format suitable for vegas. For me and many users - that was cineform for many years.

Some recent reports of people having problems with it, however . If you're one of those having problems with cineform in vegas, maybe Prores or DNxHR .

Or high bitrate , short GOP or I frame AVC in MP4 works fine too. Actually at very high bitrates, the quality can 5-15 dB higher than even ProresXQ4444 or Cineform FS3
    I think Cineform will be adequate for these low quality youtube downloads. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Ok - now comes the question of how to deal with the VHS capture that is the base of the project.

These clips are being used to replace the music video segments in a VHS recording of Friday Night Videos.

Capture wasn't done by me, found it here - https://archive.org/details/1984.05.18-kron-friday-night-videos

The mkv download is a 60p file, I'm guessing some sort of deinterlacing was done on a VHS capture to get to that point.

But being that the majority of the content is 24p film, it seems to make sense to make a project to render to 24p.

But for the material in the program between videos that I'll need to use the VHS capture for, how should I deal with the 60p? What's the best option to get that to 24p?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Ok - now comes the question of how to deal with the VHS capture that is the base of the project.

These clips are being used to replace the music video segments in a VHS recording of Friday Night Videos.

Capture wasn't done by me, found it here - https://archive.org/details/1984.05.18-kron-friday-night-videos

The mkv download is a 60p file, I'm guessing some sort of deinterlacing was done on a VHS capture to get to that point.

But being that the majority of the content is 24p film, it seems to make sense to make a project to render to 24p.

But for the material in the program between videos that I'll need to use the VHS capture for, how should I deal with the 60p? What's the best option to get that to 24p?

Yes, it's mostly 23.976p content with a pattern of triplicates and duplicates (ie. "23.976 in 59.94") . To decimate and bring it back to 23.976, it would be TDecimate(cycleR=3, cycle=5) , for 3 in 5 decimation

However, some sections have true 59.94p content (if you go frame by frame, you see different motion each frame) - If you decimate those sections to 23.976 it will become jerky

If you leave it as 23.976 in 59.94 , it will appear as typical judder on a 60Hz display. NTSC audiences are "used" to judder

One option would be to retime the 59.94 sections as 23.976 using optical flow/ motion interpolation such as mvtools2 or RIFE . But sometimes there are artifacts

You can have to decide on the tradeoffs you want to make
    Quote Quote  
  13. If a project is going to need to use both 24p and 25p sources, what options are there, and what are the pros and cons of each?

Perhaps a best compromise that favors the 24p material, one that favors the 25p material, and one thats a best overall compromise?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    If a project is going to need to use both 24p and 25p sources, what options are there, and what are the pros and cons of each?

Perhaps a best compromise that favors the 24p material, one that favors the 25p material, and one thats a best overall compromise?
    Easiest is probably to speedup the 24fps material to 25fps. In Avisynth
    Code:
    AssumeFPS(25,sync_audio=true)
    For music videos one may want to apply pitch correction to preserve the original pitch.

Alternatively one may apply Euro-pulldown to the 24fps stuff. This would preserve the movie duration and the audio pitch. Not sure about player support issues though.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks for the suggestion.
    However - any speed adjustments are completely out of the question.
    Also, I'm expecting the majority of the material to be 24p, so whatever the best option for converting 25p to 24p, or converting 24p and 25p to another format, would be a better direction to go in I'm thinking.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Euro-pulldown doesn't change the speed.

ChangeFPS(25) preserves the speed as well but would insert frames (duplicates or blends).
    See also here for more options:
    https://avisynthplus.readthedocs.io/en/latest/avisynthdoc/corefilters/fps.html

If you reduce 25fps material to 24fps you would have to drop frames.

More complicated are framerate conversions by means of temporal interpolation. Prone to artifacts though.
    Quote Quote  
  17. For Loverboy vid, I'd try double blend removal. The pattern is 3 "good" frame, 2 blends

Code:
    LSmashVideoSource(y2mate.is - Loverboy Queen Of The Broken Hearts Official Video -hWSLgpQGw3I-480pp-1711828654.mp4")
    srestore(frate=23.976, omode="pp2")
    preroll(24)
    tdecimate()
    Some scenes aren't "fixed" that well, but others look ok
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    For Loverboy vid, I'd try double blend removal. The pattern is 3 "good" frame, 2 blends

Code:
    LSmashVideoSource(y2mate.is - Loverboy Queen Of The Broken Hearts Official Video -hWSLgpQGw3I-480pp-1711828654.mp4")
    srestore(frate=23.976, omode="pp2")
    preroll(24)
    tdecimate()
    Some scenes aren't "fixed" that well, but others look ok
    Thanks for that. Kinda sad that the "official" uploads to youtube get things wrong like this - the TV rips I can understand, but the official ones....

Anyways, I'm missing some pre-requisites. I determined I needed to download Srestore.avsi, but now I'm getting an error "Script error: there is no function named 'average'", and it's calling on line 53 in Srestore - must be a pre-requisite that I can't seem to find, and with a term as generic as "average", googling isn't quite finding what I need.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post

Anyways, I'm missing some pre-requisites. I determined I needed to download Srestore.avsi, but now I'm getting an error "Script error: there is no function named 'average'", and it's calling on line 53 in Srestore - must be a pre-requisite that I can't seem to find, and with a term as generic as "average", googling isn't quite finding what I need.
    Prerequisites and links to them should be listed on the avisynth wiki , including links to average which is listed on the srestore page

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Srestore
    Quote Quote  
  20. My plug-ins aren't playing nice with each other, not sure how I'm supposed to get a stable environment with this scenario.

I found average.

Now I get the error "Average: All clips must be have same or greater number of frames as the first one"

Yes, that's right, must be have same.

Googling led me to a suggestion of a version of smdegrain being a culprit, went to a "current" site and downloaded a copy, got a syntax error.

I'm on 64bit versions of these plug-ins.

What do I need to do to get stability and get these to all play nicely?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Ok, managed to find newer versions of plug-ins and yet new pre-requisites, and got that script working. Thanks again.

Moving right along, here's another "official" youtube post - thoughts on this one?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nr95ka96px03onhcyqdvd/Thompson-Twins-Doctor-Doctor-Vide...iwerfo2tc&dl=0
    Quote Quote  
  22. Nothing particularly wrong with it. 29.97fps progressive IMO.
    Little sharpening and framerateconverted (using RIFE) to 23.976fps if this is what you have in mind:
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 12th Jul 2024 at 04:30.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Nothing particularly wrong with it. 29.97fps progressive IMO.
    Little sharpening and framerateconverted (using RIFE) to 23.976fps if this is what you have in mind:
    Cool, thanks.

Is one able to determine what the original framerate was? I was finding most of these videos were originally shot at 24 or 25, so the 29.97p seemed an odd rate, like the result of a previous conversion?

What steps did you take to do the conversion, so I could repeat this myself on future clips?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    Is one able to determine what the original framerate was?
    Not really for clean conversions. For poor conversions one can often conclude on the specific artifacts (blends, repetition patterns ...) what the original framerate has most likely been.

What steps did you take to do the conversion, so I could repeat this myself on future clips?
    Installation of RIFE:
    - Copy the rife.dll in Avisynth's plugins64+ folder
    - Copy the models in a folder 'models' in Avisynth's pugins64+ folder

Avisynth script which I used for that video:
    Code:
    a=LWLibavAudioSource("Thompson Twins - Doctor! Doctor! (Video).mp4")
    v=LWLibavVideoSource("Thompson Twins - Doctor! Doctor! (Video).mp4")
    Audiodub(a,v)
    awarpsharp() #sharpen

# frame rate conversion with RIFE:
    v_RGB=z_ConvertFormat(pixel_type="RGBPS", colorspace_op="709:709:709:l=>rgb:709:709:f") # RIFE works with RGB floats
    v_RIFE=v_RGB.RIFE(gpu_thread=1, model=25, fps_num=24000, fps_den=1001, sc=true, sc_threshold=0.3) # motion interpolate to 24000/1001 fps, model=25 (find the 'best' model by trying, minimizing artifacts)
    v_YV12=v_RIFE.z_ConvertFormat(pixel_type="YUV420P8", colorspace_op="rgb:709:709:f=>709:709:709:l") # convert back to YV12
    return v_YV12
    Last edited by Sharc; 12th Jul 2024 at 07:45. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Not really for clean conversions. For poor conversions one can often conclude on the specific artifacts (blends, repetition patterns ...) what the original framerate has most likely been.

Installation of RIFE:

Code:
    Audiodub(a,v)
    awarpsharp() #sharpen

v_RGB=z_ConvertFormat(pixel_type="RGBPS", colorspace_op="709:709:709:l=>rgb:709:709:f") # RIFE works with RGB floats
    v_RIFE=v_RGB.RIFE(gpu_thread=1, model=25, fps_num=24000, fps_den=1001, sc=true, sc_threshold=0.3) # motion interpolate to 24000/1001 fps, model=25 (find the 'best' model by trying, minimizing artifacts)
    v_YV12=v_RIFE.z_ConvertFormat(pixel_type="YUV420P8", colorspace_op="rgb:709:709:f=>709:709:709:l") # convert back to YV12
    return v_YV12

Thanks for this.

The uploaded sample seems to cut early, so I'm trying to run this myself to correct that.

However, I keep running into "RIFE: failed to load model"

I've not used rife before, I did install it and the pre-requisites - but these various scripts from various sources are a hot mess of garbage getting to work.

How can I get a consistent stable install of RIFE?

How can I get a stable situation where it isn't a hot mess every time someone recommends another plug-in?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post

Installation of RIFE:

Code:
    Audiodub(a,v)
    awarpsharp() #sharpen

return v_YV12
    You reference copying models into a folder called models, and the RIFE documentation references models.

What are models? Where are models? Where do they get them? How are end users expected to know this without any actual explanation about this? (not asking to be a dick, honestly trying to understand this - is this being poorly documented? Or is there actually something listed on the page that I'm overlooking?)
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    The uploaded sample seems to cut early, ....
    I cut it for demo. Here the full length:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    The uploaded sample seems to cut early, ....
    I cut it for demo. Here the full length:
    Thanks, that solves the immediate issue. Appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by armyofquad View Post
    You reference copying models into a folder called models, and the RIFE documentation references models.

What are models? Where are models? Where do they get them? How are end users expected to know this without any actual explanation about this? (not asking to be a dick, honestly trying to understand this - is this being poorly documented? Or is there actually something listed on the page that I'm overlooking?)
    From the link which I provided you have to download the models (file models.7z) as well, unzip it and you'll get a pile of folders. Create a new folder 'models' in the plugins64+ folder to copy these folders you got from unzipping models.7z into.

So
    - download models.7z
    - create an empty new folder 'models' in the plugins64+ folder
    - unzip the content of models.7z into that newly created folder
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-07-12 172118.png
Views:	10
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	80658  

Last edited by Sharc; 12th Jul 2024 at 10:46.
    Quote Quote