VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have this deck, it has Svideo inputs/outputs and when I connect the VCR to it, the video is shown on the front screen. But I would like this to output via DV cable, is that possible? Or would it only output through Svideo?

[Attachment 80271 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 80272 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I made the connections but there was no video signal via Firewire on the receiver, which accepts signals up to 720 x 480
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by "receiver"? Firewire is normally accepted by a computer through a Firewire port, so the flow would be VCR > S-Video+audio cables > DSR 45A > Firewire cable > Computer.

You may have to adjust the settings in the 45A to set up the passthrough.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    What do you mean by "receiver"? Firewire is normally accepted by a computer through a Firewire port, so the flow would be VCR > S-Video+audio cables > DSR 45A > Firewire cable > Computer.

You may have to adjust the settings in the 45A to set up the passthrough.
    I will try again, I'll do the settings better, but my receiver or capture card it's an DVD recorder ''Philips DVDR 3355'', which accepts i-link input.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I understand. Are you using the 45A as a passthrough for any reason, because you could just connect your VCR direct to the DVD recorder (via S-Video would be best, if you have it) and record/burn your DVD that way.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I think I understand. Are you using the 45A as a passthrough for any reason, because you could just connect your VCR direct to the DVD recorder (via S-Video would be best, if you have it) and record/burn your DVD that way.

Yes, that's exactly what I do, I use the s-video output directly on the DVDR, I'm using a D-VHS that also has an I-link output, but it never worked, so I just wanted to do a test using the DSR-45A as a pass-through.
    Last edited by Litaiff; 29th Jun 2024 at 08:51.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Hello. I performed the test, D-Vhs Super video to DVcam super video input and firewire output.

Clearly the super video direct to the Philips DVDR 3355 recorder is better than coming out via the DVcam's firewire as a pass-through.

[Attachment 80466 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 80467 - Click to enlarge]

It remains to be seen what it would look like outputting directly through the D-Vhs firewire, which I never managed to do.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Another doubt. I have the D-VHS with I-link output. I still have no idea if it's working... But, if I connect this I-link/Firewire output from the D-VHS to the Firewire input of the Sony DVCAM DSR-45A and manage to receive the signal from the D-Vhs, and record it on a DVCAM tape, Would it theoretically be better than the super video output? Of course, I have to convert this DVcam tape later.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The answer to that would only come with a test. Looking at the examples you posted above, I'd reckon probably not; passing through to Firewire isn't as good, in my view. It would certainly be simpler to go straight from your DVHS to the DVDR via S-video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Can anyone tell me which conditions of the heads is like? Good? Bad?

[Attachment 80816 - Click to enlarge]

Another question... I've pressed the reset button on this device a few times, would that imply also resetting this informations?
    Last edited by Litaiff; 19th Jul 2024 at 05:49.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Litaiff View Post
    Hello. I performed the test, D-Vhs Super video to DVcam super video input and firewire output.

Clearly the super video direct to the Philips DVDR 3355 recorder is better than coming out via the DVcam's firewire as a pass-through.

[Attachment 80466 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 80467 - Click to enlarge]

It remains to be seen what it would look like outputting directly through the D-Vhs firewire, which I never managed to do.
    It's not better, but it has a different color range. It looks like SVideo just has the lower range cut off.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I believe because there is a little more detail in the video definition, S-video is still better connected directly to the DVDR recorder.

[Attachment 80836 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 80837 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Later I will do some tests with just S-video cables on the DVDR and Computer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    This "better" video looks like it's already pre-filtered (probably by DVDR*). But it's missing some hair, so there's something wrong with the color range. That's why it looks sharper by the way.

https://i.imgur.com/8sEZONp.png

Edit: *Your DVDR is based on LSI Logic, which is why it filters the image so nicely (the same can be achieved in software). However, this workflow loses some colors in this sequence.
    https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/1558-lsi-logic-chipset.html
    Last edited by rgr; 22nd Jul 2024 at 04:16.
    Quote Quote