+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lollo
    This clip is progressive.
    But each frame is different (when doublerate deinterlaced). There is major motion at every second frame, but the following frame is also (just) different; but it's certainly not the same. Your GIF shows this. Isn't this video PSF, as per post #18?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by VHSvideocapture View Post
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Thanks for that .
    Most of my captures are like this
    How should progressive source be handled?
    It should be handled progressive.

(just make sure that the capture SW does not unintended deinterlace the video)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    This clip is progressive.
    But each frame is different (when doublerate deinterlaced). There is major motion at every second frame, but the following frame is also (just) different; but it's certainly not the same. Your GIF shows this. Isn't this video PSF, as per post #18?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/413554-Deinterlacing-in-2024/page5#post2735907
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I'm confused I'm going to be adding another clip direct stream copy
    Quote Quote  
  5. Here is another clip
    VirtualDub direct stream copy
    The colorspace should be correct this time.
    Lagrith codec used, Lagrith does not flag interlacing always shows progressive but I don't think it is.
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/308503/riceD.avi

Thanks everyone for helping
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. The video is progressive (PsF), as before. There is no motion between the even and the odd field. Separating the fields and stepping through the fields gives a pattern like aabbccddeeffgghh..., with motion between the pairs only.

This is how interlaced would look like. Now you see motion between every field, not just between pairs of fields.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 1st Jul 2024 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VHSvideocapture View Post
    Here is another clip
    As Sharc already said this is again a "progressive" video, aka PsF.

You should get familiar with AviSynth and check the fields architecture by yourself. Here a simple script. You load it in VirtualdDub (for example) and step field-by-field analyzing the pattern repetition (aabbccddeeffgghh... in this case, as Sharc explained, meaning "progressive "source).

Code:
    video_org=AviSource("riceD.avi")

# separate fields tff
    video_org_sep_tff=video_org.AssumeTFF().separateFields()

# to check if progressive or interlaced
    return(video_org_sep_tff)
    Quote Quote  
  8. As a demo here a comparison of the 2 variants side-by-side, after separating the fields and stepping in slow motion through the fields as per Lollo's instructions.

Left is your progressive (aka PsF) source. Right is what you would get if your source were interlaced. You see that the progressive (PsF) version has motion with every 2 fields only, while the interlaced variant has motion with every field advancement.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Clip is progressive
    Originally Posted by VHS
    Is this correct?

"For a progressive or PSF source, don't deinterlace, just encode it as-is into whatever final format you want"?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Thanks for that .
    Most of my captures are like this
    720x576 25fps.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    "For a progressive or PSF source, don't deinterlace, just encode it as-is into whatever final format you want"?
    Please tell me the correct settings to use for Moviestudio.

If I choose progressive I get the interlaced looking lines.

It has quite a few options.

When I import it asks me do I want to match source if I do match source it imports it as progressive and if I encode it progressive I get interlaced looking lines, we know it's not because experts say it's PSF. I always get progressive source on both Huffyuv and Lagrith.

In project properties playback you have
    Upperfield
    Lowerfield
    Progressive

For de-interlacing you have blend fields or interpolate fields. (It only de-interlaces if upper or lower are chosen.

Then another confusing options disable resampling (I don't know what this does) and the reduce interlace flicker should that be left off or on? I've used it and it does get rid of jagged lines

If you right click source it's progressive by default, it can be changed to upper or lower fileds
    then when rendering the same issue you have 3 options render progressive upper field or lower filed, should everything match project
    properties?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always get progressive source on both Huffyuv and Lagrith.
    Are you sure? Just becasue Mediainfo says it's progressive, you should check it in Vdub2 to confirm.
    Secondly, if all your captures are progressive, something must be going wrong in your capturing process.

In general you set the project based on your requirements, then you properly define the source and how it should be handled.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn
    That question was more in relation to deinterlacing with QTGMC/VDub as opposed to using Magix, to which I didn't get an answer.

Originally Posted by VHS
    When I import it asks me do I want to match source if I do match source it imports it as progressive and if I encode it progressive I get interlaced looking lines, we know it's not because experts say it's PSF.
    In Magix, treat it as interlaced.

Originally Posted by VHS
    I always get progressive source on both Huffyuv and Lagrith.
    You haven't actually told us what your capture process is but, as Dave alludes to, you should not be getting "progressive". You may well get PsF (which looks like Progressive) but you'll still have fields (that's my understanding, anyway! ).

What is your capture device and what program are you using to capture?

Originally Posted by VHSVideoCapture
    This is for Magix Movie Studio. I agree, the settings are goobledigook!

For your VHS captures, which will be Interlaced, TFF (even though they might look like they're progressive):

-set the movie framerate to 50fps and 720x576, 4:3.

-if you have version 2022 or later, there's a new bug with analogue video import. In the video object properties, set the aspect ratio to 1.33 (not 1.33333 or 4:3).

-set the Interlacing to TFF (should already be set from the clip info).

Leave the other interlacing options in video object properties unticked.

That should result in a smooth, progressive video.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM

If I choose progressive I get the interlaced looking lines.

It has quite a few options.

When I import it asks me do I want to match source if I do match source it imports it as progressive and if I encode it progressive I get interlaced looking lines, we know it's not because experts say it's PSF. I always get progressive source on both Huffyuv and Lagrith.
    Post the output file.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Are you sure? Just becasue Mediainfo says it's progressive, you should check it in Vdub2 to confirm.
    Secondly, if all your captures are progressive, something must be going wrong in your capturing process.

In general you set the project based on your requirements, then you properly define the source and how it should be handled.
    I'm getting PsF it looks progressive I need to learn how to deal with PsF in Moviestudio
    They aren't actually progressive, only lagrith shows as progressive, Huffyuv wrong shows it BFF lower field first so it's not progressive.

I need someone to tell me the correct settings for Moviestudio.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    Post the output file.
    I did, before here it is again the rice.avi clip is how all my captures look
    The experts say it's PsF I don't know how to handle Psf video in Moviestudio or VD..

I just noticed 1 thing in the capture pin tab of virtualdub the quality level is set to half way other settings are fine 720×576 PAL
    25 FPS.

I'm using Huffyuv, will having the quality slider half way effect final file quality?

Will I have to recapture. If I'm using ES15 will this also effect quality and make the video progressive?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    What is your capture device and what program are you using to capture?
    GV-USB2 wave option selected in driver settings to keep it interlaced.

Virtuldub 1.911 because it's what is suggested the modt for capture.

For your VHS captures, which will be Interlaced, TFF (even though they might look like they're progressive):

-set the movie framerate to 50fps and 720x576, 4:3.

-if you have version 2022 or later, there's a new bug with analogue video import. In the video object properties, set the aspect ratio to 1.33 (not 1.33333 or 4:3)
    I will do that what about the most confusion. De-interlace method none I'm assuming but other options are blend fields or interpolate

-set the Interlacing to TFF (should already be set from the clip info).

Leave the other interlacing options in video object properties unticked.

That should result in a smooth, progressive video.
    In Moviestudio TFF is upper field first
    What about the project properties in timeline (right click) that is set to progressive should I set that to upper field too?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by VHSvideocapture View Post
    De-interlace method none I'm assuming but other options are blend fields or interpolate
    Blend fields blurs the two fields together. I don't know if your software is smart (only blending where there's obvious combing) about that or not but you generally want to avoid blending. But with all your horizontal time base jitter, noise, and uneven brightness between the two fields, it may improve the video.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Blend fields blurs the two fields together. I don't know if your software is smart (only blending where there's obvious combing) about that or not but you generally want to avoid blending. But with all your horizontal time base jitter, noise, and uneven brightness between the two fields, it may improve the video.
    True blend is not recommended I'm not sure if moviestudio is smart or not.
    Reduce interlace flicker cleans up the issue that option also blends. the fields but I don't think its recommended.

Uneven brightness is because I was using the ES15 it is known for having brightness issues without using one some tapes flag.
    Noise can be removed I'm sure I have a plugin in virtualdub that can remove noise it's called VHS I think? It has a chroma option a noise option.

What would be the bes de-interlace t option in virtuldub?

Virtuldub has interpolate with Yadif Bob, Blend, other options top field first, bottom field first
    Remove top-bottom field. Topfield -Bottomfiled first double frame rate.
    Would Yadif blend be better in Virtualdub than vegas?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Of course blend deinterlace isn't generally recommended. With real interlaced video it makes every frame with motion look like a double exposure. But your video isn't interlaced. It has comb artifacts from the bad horizontal time base, uneven brightness of the two fields, and lots of noise. I was just suggesting a blend deinterlace might make it look better.

Yadif double rate is usually the best option in VirtualDub.

TFF vs. BFF depends on which your video is.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VHSvideocapture
    In Moviestudio TFF is upper field first
    What about the project properties in timeline (right click) that is set to progressive should I set that to upper field too?
    For the avoidance of doubt, I'm talking about Magix Movie Studio, not Vegas Movie Studio.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 21st Jul 2024 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote