VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Panasonic DMR-EH55 I only use for video passthrough for analog video capture. Recently the HDD has failed and I cannot replace it with an unformatted drive using the widely documented firmware install via DVD method because the DVD-RW device in the machine is broken. An alternative approach seems to be cloning an existing HDD image to a new disk which when placed back in the machine will allow it to recognise the disk and provide an option to reformat it using the on-screen display options.

I'd be hugely grateful if anyone with one of these machines (preferably a 2006+ PAL model) has a bit-copy image of the machine's HDD I can use for this purpose. The disk itself can contain no recordings - in fact its better if it doesn't to result in a small image size. There is some suggestion that a device copy from the source HDD need only capture the first 100MB of data as this contains the boot information required by the Panasonic.

I'd recommend anyone looking to get good life out of the device do this anyway, as DVD-RW drives in these and similar machines are failing and working replacements expensive and hard to come by. Capturing an image of the HDD will provide you with an alternative way of replacing the HDD and ensuring the machine is at least useable without a functional DVD-RW.

From reading around, the simplest most reliable way to capture an image from the Panasonic HDD is using a *NIX OS (including MacOSX) and the command-line 'dd' device copy tool. Panasonic added protections to prevent straightforward copying of recordings off it's PVRs in Windows which makes the process a bit more tricky.

Process to create an image of the HDD
    Note: Commands and paths are correct for Mac OSX but other *nix environments may differ in some areas.

1. Power off and unplug DMR-EH55
    2. Open case, detach 40-pin connector and molex cable from HDD.
    3. Unscrew disk enclosure from base of case and remove.
    4. Connect disk to IDE interface, or a SATA-to-IDE interface adaptor if you only have SATA. SATA/IDE adaptors that use the Marvell chipset are recommended (e.g StarTech).
    5. Connect the drive to a machine running a *nix OS.
    6. If the OS recognises the disk and provides an option to reformat it - Don't
    7. Identify the disk's location using the command line tool diskutil, (run: diskutil list).
    8. Unmount the disk if the system has mounted it (attempts by the OS to mount the disk while cloning may cause errors). On the command-line run "diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN " (Where N is the disk letter ID).
    9. [EDIT]Read the First 100MB from the source Panasonic disk and write to an image file: "sudo dd if=~/dmr_eh55_hdd_100MB.bin bs=1m count=100 of=/dev/diskN" (These were around the wrong way and would write from the disk to the disk image file!!)
    10. [Optional] Check the integrity of the cloned image using the cmp command: "cmp /dev/diskN ~/dmr_eh55_hdd_100MB.bin" (Only worth it if you've cloned an entire disk image).

That's it! If someone is able and willing to create this partial device image file and post it somewhere accessible online this would be fantastic. An image from an NTSC machine may work as well but I'm using a PAL unit so this is more likely to succeed.

Thank you!
    Last edited by mp52; 16th Jun 2024 at 18:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Buy another: ES10, ES15, EH55, EH57, EX77 to name a few.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have uploaded an image to the Internet archive https://archive.org/details/panasonic-dmr-eh-55-firmware-hdd-100
    The image contains the first 100MB from a Panasonic DMR-EH55 (PAL version).
    I have replaced my panasonic hard drive with a ssd, After writing this image to the ssd the panasonc recognized the new ssd,

greetz
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by btwarden View Post
    I have uploaded an image to the Internet archive https://archive.org/details/panasonic-dmr-eh-55-firmware-hdd-100
    I have replaced my panasonic hard drive with a ssd, After writing this image to the ssd the panasonc recognized the new ssd,
    Very nice this
    I think it should also work with similar Panasonic models from about the same generation/period?
    As what read/understand the Panasonic just checks the HDD for a certain Panasonic ID mark.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by btwarden View Post
    I have uploaded an image to the Internet archive https://archive.org/details/panasonic-dmr-eh-55-firmware-hdd-100

greetz
    Amazing - thanks so much for this. It's a great help! Someone mentioned buying another Panny unit but they're few and far between in my part of the world and international shipping is more than the cost of the unit in most cases. Glad the SSD is working out for you - if I was still using mine for recording that's the way I'd go too.

Will update how I get on but still waiting on the remote to arrive before I can complete the work.

Throw up a Buy Me a Coffee link if you like - more than deserved
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok, so the good news is that with a replacement disk with the image copied, the machine no longer displays the undocumented "STFAIL" and "DRV NG" errors, instead displaying the U61 error briefly and this on the monitor:

Self check did not complete.
    1. Press ENTER. Then the unit opens the disc tray, and turns to standby.
    2. Press POWER to restart. If this message still appears, please refer to the contact information listed on the operating instructions.
    If I can get it past this DVD drive self-check so I can select channels I'll be sorted but will need the remote to experiment.

Unfortunately, disconnecting the DVD-RW has no effect. Possibly with the remote I can put it into function mode and complete a HDD format which at least might make the difference. Or force it into one of the AV modes to get signal passthru using the Service Commands.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, for anyone reading, I'm pleased to report that with the replacement remote control I ordered off Ali Express, and the bit copied HDD image above, I am now able to put the device into service mode and set the AV connection to PAL 01 which provides working pass-thru! I have confirmed this is working for S-Video and Composite output via the AV4 output.

To get the machine into this mode (PAL units):
    1. Power on holding down the CH^ + Open/Close + Record buttons on the unit for 5 secods.
    2. Wait for SERV (Service Mode) to appear on the FL display.
    3. Enter [8][0] on the remote. You should see video output to any device plugged into the AV4 on the back of the machine.
    Quote Quote