VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have an old UK (British) VHS player (VCR) that previously worked perfectly with an older large UK TV we had years ago. Recently, I tried connecting this VCR to another older UK TV we have. The TV recognizes that a tape is inserted in the VCR, but it will not display the picture. There is very faint sound. I have used a normal SCART and a SCART and sound adaptor. I have tried these in many combinations. But it's possible I'm just missing something very simple.

Both the TV and VCR were fully functional when they were last used, and they have been stored carefully, so nothing should have happened to stop them from working. Both devices are from around the same era, with the TV being slightly newer. I have tried playing several tapes, including both pre-recorded tapes and ones recorded from TV broadcasts, but none display a picture.

Additionally, I previously purchased a SCART to HDMI converter to use the VCR player on my modern TV. However, when using this setup, the screen remains blue and blank, only acknowledging there is a tape but not showing a picture. Often, it says "no signal," but the sound from the tape plays perfectly. I also tried this out on a neighbour's VCR and the same thing happens.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	79895  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 (1).JPG
Views:	12
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	79896  

Name:	1 (2).JPG
Views:	11
Size:	2.72 MB
ID:	79897  

Name:	2 (2).JPG
Views:	14
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	79898  

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	79899  

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	79900  

Name:	IMG_2926.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	79901  

Name:	IMG_2927.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	4.61 MB
ID:	79902  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can you display the menu settings of the VCR correctly?
    What happens exactly/is displayed on screen when you start playing a tape?
    Also use the SCART1/AV1 output from the VCR, often the SCART2/AV2 is configured for input/pass-through connecting decoders/set-top boxes.

When connecting with the fully wired SCART cable , check the SCART input settings of your TV, it should be set for Composite/Cvbs input.
    With a correctly wired SCART cable the TV should detect/switch automatically to the activated input.

Curious, on a dutch forum here there was almost exact the same problem reported.
    I not know if it was solved or not.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 15th Jun 2024 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a VCR out option on your remote?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The switch on that SCART plug looks like it is on IN. It should be on OUT.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello, i did multiple combinations, in / out / scart to tv/ tv to scart /switching the plug option and also just using a normal scart without the audio connectors.

When the VCR was plugged in originally to the old TV, it was with just a simple scart.

I don't have the remote for the VCR.
    AV2 says "Scart In"
    AVI says "Video In"
    YUV
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's odd. I see two SCART connectors one of them MUST be for IN and OUT, you can't have both acting as IN.
    Is there another connector on your VCR?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't have a remote, press the program button up or down on the VCR front panel and see if it changes from P01 to VCR1 or VCR2
    Presumably P01 was the TV channel when you used TV antenna in the past
    Quote Quote