VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

    I'm searching a second-hand PAL Hi8 Analog Camcorder to rip my old Sony V8 magnetic tapes to PC.

    I found following model on Internet;
    Sony PAL Digital8 Camcorder 2.5-in LCD - Video Transfer - VGC (DCR-TRV130E)

    Please advise whether it can work for me.

    Thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia-PAL Land
    Search Comp PM
    Satimis, Almost every camcorder has it's manual either on the Sony website or manualslib.com. The TRV-130E manual is readily available. In the first few pages, or the Playback section, it will mention if the cam can play Video8 and Hi8 tapes.

    In this case, the answer is No. Check the "Playing Back Tapes" section of the manual. The 130 only plays D8 tapes.

    There's a similar thread going here:

    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/414882-Do-all-consumer-Hi8-camcorders-with-FirePor...apture-equally

    Note, in particular, the Wiki.
    Quote Quote  
  3. @satimis
    And check out your old threads where many of your questions have been adressed.

    For example, see here (links are from former replies):
    https://transfervideotapes.com/digital8-camcorders-with-8mm-and-hi8-playback/
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00025041
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00026519

    P.S.
    In case you forgot you can find your former threads here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/search.php?searchid=3177330
    Last edited by Sharc; 12th Jun 2024 at 01:29.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    @satimis
    And check out your old threads where many of your questions have been adressed.

    For example, see here (links are from former replies):
    https://transfervideotapes.com/digital8-camcorders-with-8mm-and-hi8-playback/
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00025041
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00026519
    Thanks for your links.

    What I can't resolve;
    Can I rip my old V8 tapes to PC via digitizer as .mp4 files

    P.S.
    In case you forgot you can find your former threads here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/search.php?searchid=3177330
    Your link is not working.

    My headache is the old V8 tapes on PAL system.

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Sharc again,

    Just found on eBay;
    Sony PAL Handycam Camcorder Standard8/Hi8/Digital8 Video Transfer (DCR-TRV110E)

    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xqsAAOSwJsxlgAjE/s-l1600.webp

    from UK.

    Please advise can it work for my purpose, ripping V8 tapes to PC as .mp4 files? I'll contact the seller later after having received your advice.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Hi Sharc again,

    Just found on eBay;
    Sony PAL Handycam Camcorder Standard8/Hi8/Digital8 Video Transfer (DCR-TRV110E)

    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xqsAAOSwJsxlgAjE/s-l1600.webp

    from UK.

    Please advise can it work for my purpose, ripping V8 tapes to PC as .mp4 files? I'll contact the seller later after having received your advice.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards
    Here's the manual
    https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-trv110e/manuals

    on page 10:
    Your camcorder records and plays back pictures
    in Digital8 system. Also, your camcorder plays
    back tapes recorded in the Hi8 /standard 8 (analog) system.
    Image Attached Thumbnails TRV110E english.pdf  

    Last edited by Sharc; 12th Jun 2024 at 16:21.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Sharc,

    Thanks for your further advice.

    Looking at the photo of "Sony PAL Handycam Camcorder Standard8/Hi8/Digital8 Video Transfer (DCR-TRV110E)", it seems carrying with a digitizer. I suppose I don't need purchasing a digitizer if it can work? Please advise.

    I just found another offer of eBay "Sony DCR-TRV80E"
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/285892228851?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%...34B82MH768YZZW

    Which of them is a newer model? DCR-TRV80E or DCR-TRV110E ? I need purchasing a digitizer separate?

    What I need is a Sony Hi8 camcorder to convert my old V8 tapes to .mp4 files. I won't use the camcorder anymore afterwards

    Please advise. Thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Which of them is a newer model? DCR-TRV80E or DCR-TRV110E ? I need purchasing a digitizer separate?
    What you need (compliant cameras for V8, interfaces, converters/digitizers etc.) has been advised to you many times in your former threads. Why repeat again and again?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411611-Seeking-for-advice-converting-old-V8-tapes
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411992-About-tapes-used-on-Digital-8-camcorders#post2710075

    The TRV80E won't play your V8, as a quick check of the manual indicates.
    https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/product/dcr-trv80e/manuals
    on page 21 for example:
    Your camcorder is based on the DV format. You
    can use only mini DV cassettes with your
    camcorder.
    Last edited by Sharc; 13th Jun 2024 at 02:38. Reason: link added
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Which of them is a newer model? DCR-TRV80E or DCR-TRV110E ? I need purchasing a digitizer separate?
    What you need (compliant cameras for V8, interfaces, converters/digitizers etc.) has been advised to you many times in your former threads. Why repeat again and again?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411611-Seeking-for-advice-converting-old-V8-tapes
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411992-About-tapes-used-on-Digital-8-camcorders#post2710075
    Hi Sharc,

    Sorry for that.

    After having collected relevent information I couldn't find a reliable second-hand PAL Hi8 camcorder. Then I stopped turning to convert thousands of old photos captured worldwide to digital images and built slideshows on some of the digital images.

    The aforesaid jobs are nearly completed. Now I come back to convert my old Sony V8 tapes to mp4 files on PC.

    The TRV80E won't play your V8, as a quick check of the manual indicates.
    https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/product/dcr-trv80e/manuals
    on page 21 for example:
    Your camcorder is based on the DV format. You
    can use only mini DV cassettes with your
    camcorder.
    Thanks for your advice.

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Sharc,

    Can "Samsung PAL Hi8 camcorder VP-L710" be suitable for my use?

    Samsung Video Camcorder
    8mm
    COLOUR LCD
    VP-L700U/L700/L710/
    L750/L750D/L770
    https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200305/20030526080938015_L700-UK_CHIN.PDF

    Thanks?

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  11. Should be ok (best guess ....).

    Manual page 54:

    In case of VP-L700/L710/L750/L750D/L770, you can use an
    S-VIDEO cable ....

    -> requires an external digitizer as has been explained to you in your former threads

    The playback system (Hi8/8mm) is selected automatically,
    depending on the tape format.
    ■ VP-L700/L710/L750/L750D/L770 can playback both Hi8 and
    8mm.
    ■ This camcorder does not support LP recording and playback


    Frankly, please study the manuals yourself as you have all the information what is needed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Should be ok (best guess ....).

    Manual page 54:

    In case of VP-L700/L710/L750/L750D/L770, you can use an
    S-VIDEO cable ....

    -> requires an external digitizer as has been explained to you in your former threads

    The playback system (Hi8/8mm) is selected automatically,
    depending on the tape format.
    ■ VP-L700/L710/L750/L750D/L770 can playback both Hi8 and
    8mm.
    ■ This camcorder does not support LP recording and playback


    Frankly, please study the manuals yourself as you have all the information what is needed.
    Thanks.

    I went through the manual before posting and couldn't find whether it needs V8 tape or mini V8 on the manual.

    So I need purchasing a digitized to connect the camcorder to PC for converting video recorded on V8 to PC as mp4 file?

    IO DATA GV-USB2 USB connection video capture
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/334865810285?norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-167022-008381-2&mkci...RoC5fUQAvD_BwE

    OR

    Rubber Av Capture Card Portable Video Device Recorder Vhs to Digital
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/305586566065?norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-167022-008381-2&mkci...BoC4P0QAvD_BwE

    ???

    Please advise. Thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  13. The I-O DATA GV USB2 is recommended by some users here for capturing into lossless 4:2:2 from S-Video. After capturing you need to encode the captured .avi to AVC in .mp4 container.
    Alternatively you could go for a D8 camcorder which reads V8 and digitizes it internally and outputs it digital as DV via Firewire, as discussed before. You don't need an external digitizer then.
    Search the forum and scan your former threads. See also here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/414882-Do-all-consumer-Hi8-camcorders-with-FirePor...apture-equally
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Sharc; 14th Jun 2024 at 06:55.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    The I-O DATA GV USB2 is recommended by some users here for capturing into lossless 4:2:2 from S-Video. After capturing you need to encode the captured .avi to AVC in .mp4 container.
    Alternatively you could go for a D8 camcorder which reads V8 and digitizes it internally and outputs it digital as DV via Firewire, as discussed before. You don't need an external digitizer then.
    Search the forum and scan your former threads. See also here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/414882-Do-all-consumer-Hi8-camcorders-with-FirePor...apture-equally
    Good luck.
    Hi Sharc,

    Just found following Youtube video:
    How To Convert Your 8mm Tape To Digital Using A PC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLmfZo93TkE

    It is very useful to me. He uses Windows PC on demonstration. I'm running Ubuntu Linux here.

    I'm now searching a demonstration video on Linux PC

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Should be ok (best guess ....).

    - snip -
    ■ This camcorder does not support LP recording and playback[/I]
    Hi Sharc,

    Could you please explain in more detail "... not support LP recording and playback"

    Thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia-PAL Land
    Search Comp PM
    @Satimis, you will have to do some research on drivers for the GV-USB2 on Linux. I've had a bit of a look around but found nothing concrete.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    @Satimis, you will have to do some research on drivers for the GV-USB2 on Linux. I've had a bit of a look around but found nothing concrete.
    Hi Alwyn,

    For Linux PC I found the steps here;
    Download OBS Studio
    Select Your Operating System
    https://obsproject.com/download#linux

    Ubuntu Instructions (22.04+)
    Run these commands to install OBS Studio on Ubuntu via the official PPA:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install ffmpeg obs-studio
    What I'm waiting for is to get a reliable PAL Hi8 camcorder and a digitizer. The camcorder is the V8 tape player. Then I can start my adventure.

    Regards
    Last edited by satimis; 15th Jun 2024 at 05:16.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Australia-PAL Land
    Search Comp PM
    @Satimis, read closely what I wrote. I said the driver for the GV-USB2. That is the digitiser. OBS is simply the capture software. OBS uses the GV-USB2 to capture the video. You need Linux drivers or some other way of getting it (the GV-USB2 or any other digitiser you intend installing) on Linux.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 15th Jun 2024 at 10:09. Reason: Last sentence edited.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Should be ok (best guess ....).

    - snip -
    ■ This camcorder does not support LP recording and playback[/I]
    Hi Sharc,

    Could you please explain in more detail "... not support LP recording and playback"

    Thanks

    Regards
    LP= Long play
    https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/camcorders-and-video-cameras-dvd-camcord...icles/00129667

    Which means if you shot your V8 videos in LP mode this camera can't play your tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Should be ok (best guess ....).

    - snip -
    ■ This camcorder does not support LP recording and playback[/I]
    Hi Sharc,

    Could you please explain in more detail "... not support LP recording and playback"

    Thanks

    Regards
    LP= Long play
    https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/camcorders-and-video-cameras-dvd-camcord...icles/00129667

    Which means if you shot your V8 videos in LP mode this camera can't play your tapes.
    Hi Sharc,.

    Thanks for your advice.

    I only use this Samsung camcorder as a player for playing back old PAL V8 tape. I won't use it for recording video therefore it won't affect my use?

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Should be ok (best guess ....).

    - snip -
    ■ This camcorder does not support LP recording and playback[/I]
    Hi Sharc,

    Could you please explain in more detail "... not support LP recording and playback"

    Thanks

    Regards
    LP= Long play
    https://www.sony.co.th/en/electronics/support/camcorders-and-video-cameras-dvd-camcord...icles/00129667

    Which means if you shot your V8 videos in LP mode this camera can't play your tapes.
    Hi Sharc,.

    Thanks for your advice.

    I only use this Samsung camcorder as a player for playing back old PAL V8 tape. I won't use it for recording video therefore it won't affect my use?

    Regards
    As I wrote:
    Which means if you shot your V8 videos in LP mode this camera can't play your tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=Sharc;2739604][QUOTE=satimis;2739592][QUOTE=Sharc;2739590][QUOTE=satimis;2739579]
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Should be ok (best guess ....).

    - snip -

    As I wrote:
    Which means if you shot your V8 videos in LP mode this camera can't play your tapes.
    I couldn't recall exactly.

    All my old PAL V8 tapes were shot in the first generation of Sony Handycam. I don't think there was such a feature.

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Hi@Sharc,

    Would "Sony ccd trv47e camcorder" have such LP restriction?

    Sony ccd trv47e
    User manual
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/3868/38683251M.pdf

    Is it suitable for my use ?

    Regards

    Edit
    ===


    Checking the user manual I couldn't find the ports on the camcorder for connecting "I-O DATA DEVICE INC. I-o USB connection video capture GV-USB2" ?
    There are 4 plugs, black, green, white and red.

    https://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/266597171937

    Can you help? Thanks
    Last edited by satimis; 15th Jun 2024 at 20:41.
    Quote Quote  
  24. The TRV47E has no LP restriction, but it comes with other weaknesses:
    - Composite video output only, no S-Video. S-Video would be better
    - No TBC (which would be another benefit)
    - Mono audio only. You would connect the black audio plug to either the white or the red of the GV-USB2, and it will work.

    Otherwise it's minimalist ok and should basically work with the GV-USB2.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    The TRV47E has no LP restriction, but it comes with other weaknesses:
    - Composite video output only, no S-Video. S-Video would be better
    - No TBC (which would be another benefit)
    - Mono audio only. You would connect the black audio plug to either the white or the red of the GV-USB2, and it will work.

    Otherwise it's minimalist ok and should basically work with the GV-USB2.
    Hi@Sharc,

    Thanks for your advice.

    Coming back to Samsung PAL Hi8 camcorder VP-L710, igore LP restriction. Would it have more benefit?

    About connecting "IO DATA USB DVD connection video capture Cable GV-USB2", how to connect it to the camcorder ?

    https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200305/20030526080938015_L700-UK_CHIN.PDF
    Page 53
    (Playing back the Tape)

    Still mono audio ?
    Do I need a RCA composite cable?

    Thanks

    Regards
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Coming back to Samsung PAL Hi8 camcorder VP-L710, igore LP restriction. Would it have more benefit?
    See post #11. It has S-video which is usually better than Composite

    About connecting "IO DATA USB DVD connection video capture Cable GV-USB2", how to connect it to the camcorder ?
    You need for the Samsung L710:
    - an S-Video cable for the video connection. Item 13 on page 14 (not included)
    - the Video/Audio cable to connect the audio. Item 4 on page 14 (should be included)

    No warranty that it works. It's up to you.

    Best option for digitizing your V8 have been given multiple times already (all 3 below apply):
    - D8 videocam which can play V8
    - S-Video output for GV USB-2, or Firewire for direct digital transfer to PC
    - Preferable with TBC functionality, if available
    Last edited by Sharc; 16th Jun 2024 at 04:49.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=Sharc;2739684]
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    - snip -

    Best option for digitizing your V8 have been given multiple times already (all 3 below apply):
    - D8 videocam which can play V8
    - S-Video output for GV USB-2, or Firewire for direct digital transfer to PC
    - Preferable with TBC functionality, if available
    Sorry for the confusion.

    I have been advised searching for Hi8 camcorder which can play V8 tape.

    I'll start again, searching for PAL D8 videocam.

    What is TBC functionality?

    Thanks

    Regards

    Edit
    ===

    Some camcorders list as;
    Sony NTSC Handycam Camcorder Standard8/Hi8/Digital8 Video Transfer (DCR-TRV110)

    What is "Video Transfer"
    Last edited by satimis; 16th Jun 2024 at 05:13.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Again and again..... V8,Hi8,D8, cameras and compatibility, capture options, TBC, reading and commenting manuals for you etc. etc. We are all wasting our breath it seems.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411611-Seeking-for-advice-converting-old-V8-tapes
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411611-Seeking-for-advice-converting-old-V8-tapes/...e2#post2706126
    and following.
    Recommendations have been given. You will never take a decision but rather just continue trolling and moving in circles.
    Maybe someone else may want to continue.
    Last edited by Sharc; 16th Jun 2024 at 06:05.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Again and again..... V8,Hi8,D8, cameras and compatibility, capture options, TBC, reading and commenting manuals for you etc. etc. We are all wasting our breath it seems.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411611-Seeking-for-advice-converting-old-V8-tapes
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/411611-Seeking-for-advice-converting-old-V8-tapes/...e2#post2706126
    and following.
    Recommendations have been given. You will never take a decision but rather just continue trolling and moving in circles.
    My problem here is to get a suitable camcorder for use. Either have no reply from the seller to my questions or the seller just replied that there was no gurantee on the working condition of camcorder.

    Also I have spent hours on searching. I'm extreme sorry for that.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Also I have spent hours on searching.
    Many more hours to come I am sure .....
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!