Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Also I have spent hours on searching.
    Many more hours to come I am sure .....
    You're right.

Finally I fail to get a reliable second-hand camcorder which forces me to change my decision.

Recently I sent one Sony V8 tape to a profession shop, converting the PAL video to mp4 format and saved on an USB thumb stick/drive. On the whole the quality of the mp4 video is NOT bad, except certain short sections being slighly blurred and another short section tinted with yellow color.

Would it be possible to rectify those problems on video editor ? If YES, please advise HOW?

I'm running Kdenlive and Openshot here. Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. @satimis: No one has a crystal ball here. Sample?
    But basically yes, one can make corrections with any NLE (color wheels, filters etc).
    And there are powerful filters available in Avisynth, Vapoursynth, VirtualDub2 and so on.
    Last edited by Sharc; 14th Jul 2024 at 08:38.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @satimis: No one has a crystal ball here. Sample?
    But basically yes, one can make corrections with any NLE (color wheels, filters etc).
    And there are powerful filters available in Avisynth, Vapoursynth, VirtualDub2 and so on.
    Hi@sharc,

Sorry, I couldn't attached those problem sections of video here. I only attach their screenshots/screencaptures here.

1) The screen is not clear. It only happens occasionally, not throughout the whole video.
    2) Rail cars are yellow in color. There is a vertical blue margin on the right of screenshot. The aforesaid margin always happens throughout the whole video

Thanks

Regards

I have no idea whether the screencaptures can be attached here

https://files.videohelp.com/u/232978/screencapture_blur_screen.png
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/232978/screencapture_railway.png
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've found the green strip down the right edge appears on all Sony V8 tapes, whether they are played on a Video 8/Hi8 camcorder or D8. I can only assume that Sony expected that that area would be masked by overscan and therefore not visible when played on a TV. One does wonder why it's there at all though.

The bluriness could be focus; I don't think it's possible to selectively blur a tape as it is being captured.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I've found the green strip down the right edge appears on all Sony V8 tapes, whether they are played on a Video 8/Hi8 camcorder or D8. I can only assume that Sony expected that that area would be masked by overscan and therefore not visible when played on a TV. One does wonder why it's there at all though.
    Thanks for your advice. I found that margin on all video captured by Sony Handycam. I couldn't do anything on it.

The bluriness could be focus; I don't think it's possible to selectively blur a tape as it is being captured.
    The video was captured on car moving around in Sacramento, CA, USA. I set the videocam to auto focus.
    Only some sections are out of focus. The rest is in focus. I don't know why?

I have edited part of the video and upload to YouTube. On the whole the quality of the video is acceptable

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; 14th Jul 2024 at 09:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @satimis
    Railway color: Are you sure it should be "yellow"?
    Quickly using color wheels: Is this any better? I doubt.....
    [Attachment 80730 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @satimis
    Railway color: Are you sure it should be "yellow"?
    Quickly using color wheels: Is this any better? I doubt.....
    [Attachment 80730 - Click to enlarge]
    Please advise how to apply it to a section of the video?

Not apply to the whole video? Run Kdelive or OpenShot? Thanks

Besides I have edited part of the mp4 video, additing both words and oral narration, subtitles etc. and upload it to YouTube. Unfortunately I couldn't attach its link here.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Please advise how to apply it to a section of the video?
    I think it is similar for all NLEs/editors: Split the video in sections using the timeline. Every section can be individually edited.
    Or set keyframes/markers and apply transitions.
    Study the help documentation of your editor(s).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

I always assumed that that was simply tape detoiration, sure enough of the 9 V8 tapes that I converted, all were Sony bar 1 Fuji.

The fix was simple just a crop in nle.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=JN-;2750003]
    - snip -

The fix was simple just a crop in nle.
    Hi,

Could you please advise the steps. Tks

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's dead easy in Vegas Pro, Windows. But you use Linux?

In VP select the video event, click on the event pan/crop item that is located at the right end of event. If it's not there then edit the items that are displayed, click on the three dots … to edit visible buttons.

Then simply use mouse to reduce crop size by enough to eliminate green vertical bar.

You can reduce the crop amount further (ie less of a crop) by butting left side of crop area as close as possible to good left side and then adjusting as required. Then readjust left side.

Extremely important to take note of cursor location before doing this. If u want this to apply to all of the event make sure that the cursor is at the start of the event before u start.

After first selecting the event press key [ to go to event start. This means that any crop changes are applied to the already default 1st. keyframe.

Starting anywhere else than the start will auto generate a new keyframe and may not be what u want.

Use the small arrow keys over on the left side of this pan/crop dialog to fix direction of travel of crop piece. A vertical arrow means it can only go up or down. A horizontal arrow means u can only move it left or right. The third option is to move in all directions.

My bad. I only now saw u were referring to Alwyn's post ?
    Last edited by JN-; 10th Sep 2024 at 06:38.
    Quote Quote