VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would Macrovision block CD playing non-legit discs too?

I need a CD or DVD player I can find used in Brazil with coaxial RCA output that would allow me to use it as a transport to play CDs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Macrovision only blocks discs with a macrovision flag,if a disc is really dirty as in scratches then a false macrovision flag might appear.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    CDs do not have Macrovision, nor need it since std CDs are audio only.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 11th Jun 2024 at 07:12.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then I remembered that only a few specific DVD players brought HDMI output, some brought RCA coaxial digital. Then all BD players had HDMI output, and very rarely RCA coaxial digital, only the very high priced ones.

Next I was reminded that the player also had to accept alternative audio type files, like wav, flac and ape, and some might not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Almost NONE will accept APE. Sounds like you are better off getting a getting a general media player device, or even better, a dedicated HTPC.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you're right. I have already tried and been more than surprised with the superb quality you can get with an Ethernet home network using a Raspberry loaded with Picoreplayer.

My wife's request for a simpler system that allowed to play our CDs made me go back to physical disc playing.

In any case APE was not used on any CDs I did: I converted all ape files to wav.
    Quote Quote