VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

a cat. However,

I wonder if a QHD laptop display can works in FHD resolution, without problems or artifatcs thanks?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it can, but with enlarged, fuzzy text.

Normal QHD (2560x1440) on a QHD screen:
    [Attachment 79768 - Click to enlarge]

Full HD resolution (1920x1080) on a QHD screen:
    [Attachment 79770 - Click to enlarge]

In my experience, the best display quality will be when the resolution is set to the native screen resolution. On any other resolution, the display quality is degraded.

Edit: My comparison plan was thwarted by the screenshot coming out way better than the actual display, so I've replaced the FHD image with one I took with my phone, which "sort of" shows what I'm talking about.

The real difference is night and day; the FHD version looks ugly.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 9th Jun 2024 at 08:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ah ok

and you what resolution preferring? FHD QHD or UHD, for video editing?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm on a single QHD screen, 27 inches/68cm and it works well for me. Horizontally, that's 60cm and vertically, it's 34cm. That gives 43 pixels per cm, which I think is comfortable; not so small that you have to squint but still plenty of screen "real estate", as it were. When you split-screen, you have two "full sized" half screen for programs to be in. Nothing's squashed. And for video editing, enough program detail is on the screen to make it comfortable to work with, the issue being that a lot of the program's fixed features and menu text is not scalable. You can resize the video monitors and timeline but not the actual fixed features.

Some editors use two screens, but I would imagine that desired pixel resolution/density would be the same.

On a "4k" screen (which is actually UHD, 3840x2160) of 32 inches/81cm diagonal, the pixel density/res is 54, which is pushing the size of standard text a bit ie too small.

The other factor is the recommended scale % (on the Desktop, right-click to Display Settings). My laptop has a FHD display crammed into a 14 inch screen, giving a pixel density of 62! But the Windows "recommended scale" is 125% so that makes everything not as small.

I have considered getting a WQHD screen for more screen real estate without going two-screen; that's still 1440 pixels high but 3440 wide in a 34"/86cm diagonal screen, which gives approximately the same pixel density.

So the answer to your question: depends on the monitor size. For a single monitor, the 27"/68cm QHD screen will serve you well.
    Quote Quote