Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Originally Posted by schlimfi View Post
    The loss of Redfox is a tragedy and a hard blow for the community,
    In the era of streaming, with Netflix/Hulu/etc so widely adopted now, I have to wonder how large the community is now. There's not much demand for copying discs anymore, not like the 2000s.
    plus disc manufactures like Sony discontinuing burnable media to consumers -
    https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/sony-stops-producing-blu-ray-and-optical-di...l-unprofitable
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    In the era of streaming, with Netflix/Hulu/etc so widely adopted now, I have to wonder how large the community is now. There's not much demand for copying discs anymore, not like the 2000s.
    The community is the guys who are movie enthusiasts that want best picture and best sound. But most - like me - don't burn to disc anymore but play ISOs from hard disk. Streaming is not there (yet).
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moody_Blues View Post
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The community is the guys who are movie enthusiasts that want best picture and best sound. But most - like me - don't burn to disc anymore but play ISOs from hard disk. Streaming is not there (yet).
    Streaming is capped at -- what (?) -- 2K ? Plus lordsmurf seemed to be overlooking their streaming products, Anystream and whatever the Fab product was called, for whatever those were worth. But I have to suppose that the folks who populate all the Scene Release sites with very-quick-turnaround posts of most popular movies and shows, at up to 2K res., must be utilizing better means than said programs.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    (And streaming is capped at Zero, when you have lousy WiFi infrastructure for it, as I do.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by wsc4 View Post
    I don't know in which directory it should be in and AnyDVD HD my license has expired, thats the problem.
    They would have e-mailed you a file like this: AnyDVDHD_Key_LMR-EBT.AnyDVDHD

If you you only bought a 6 months or 1 year subscription and it has expired, then you are doomed, sorry. I would say when you insert your disc with an expired version, AnyDVD is trying to call home, but home does not exist any more, I have a lifetime licence which works off-line and that is why it still works.

Xreveal

Have you tried VLC Media Player with Xreveal running. It works with 4K UHD and the Pioneer drive. However, I have a one-year full software license for Xreveal and that may be the reason.
    Yes, i bought a 1 year license for AnyDVD HD, and it has expired on 1st. of July. I am doomed, you're right. But with Xreveal and FindVUK i can play my 4k movie discs with the program PlayerFab. Thats all i want, watch my movies on my pc with an internal 4k drive. Not interested in copy or ripping.

The streaming services are good and have their advantages but also disadvantages. I rarely use them and they don't have all the films I want to watch. In addition, the picture and sound quality is compressed compared to a 4k film disc. There you have totally uncompressed Quality, best possible picture and sound.
    Last edited by schlimfi; 29th Jul 2024 at 19:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad for anyone who has better and enjoys it, but I'm still content with my old 1080P plasma sets. No interest in upgrading, until and unless they should fail at some point. If and when that happens, most likely repairs won't be a practical, viable option. I'm not sure what (non-streaming) gear -- if any -- might then be able to feed 2K or 4K to the current bigscreen sets, with excellent quality, but if there is such I'm sure it will be quite expensive. Aren't BR-or-better decks pretty much a thing of the past ? No way I'm paying big bucks for something ordered from Japan, that has no dealer or service presence in this country. I'll leave that to the experimentalists with very deep pockets. (The local high-end Home Theater shop I got a lot of my present gear from went belly-up years ago, as did I think most of their competitors.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. The people who are completely sufficient to watch DVDs and Blu-rays films or series discs naturally have the advantage of saving money and simply watching them on the PC with an internal drive, without the restrictions of the special 4K copy protection, which you only use with tricks can look at.

There should even be people who have still an HD DVD filmdisc collection at home and use them. This is also possible with tricks to watch them on the PC.

It is completely unclear to me why Intel and the film industry want to prevent all means to legally watch 4k filmdiscs and series on the PC. Everyone should only use the television with a 4K player. Alternatives are undesirable. That makes no sense at all.

With the argument there would be too few users to look at the film disc on the PC, you don't need to come, that is an excuse.
    I am for alternatives where the end user can choose and not for compulsion.
    Same problem in the PC Games Industry.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 4K players will disappear from the market in a few years. You can then only use streaming services.
    A completely crazy development in my opinion.
    Last edited by schlimfi; 30th Jul 2024 at 12:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I could afford to do if I really wanted to is one thing (and much less of an impediment) vs. what I feel compelled to do or am willing to bother with. So it is with 2K or 4K. I had thought 4K was pretty much the province of digital projection in cinemas these days, but I may not be sufficiently up to date on these things. _Or_ quite possibly an option for those with fancier home theater setups. (Even as I gather that 8K gear has appeared at CES -- the annual Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas.) Probably more as a companies' demo and bragging rights sort of thing ?

Watching movies on a PC ? Nah, not for me. But then I'm also totally flummoxed by the predilections of the generation that will watch movies on their cell phones. The PC viewing is of course a real step up from that, but one that still falls way short -- if you care at all about the film experience.

All that said, I would really snap to attention if & when there is ever high-resolution, good-sized good quality, no special glasses required, holographic projection for home use. (Unlikely, within our lifetimes ?) But then, you'd still need the abundant program content to support it.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 1st Aug 2024 at 13:37.
    Quote Quote  
  9. And that too will be encrypted. (holographic images)
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In addition, the picture and sound quality is compressed compared to a 4k film disc.
    Discs are also compressed delivery formats.

Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Streaming is capped at -- what (?) -- 2K ? Plus lordsmurf seemed to be overlooking their streaming products, Anystream and whatever the Fab product was called,
    Most of that stuff is just stream downloaders, or re-recorders (lose quality).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. When trying to start Star Trek II from the 4k film disk in the pc drive, Xreveal gives the error message: no decryption file found in keydb.cfg
    Other films that I have tested so far worked perfectly.
    Quote Quote