VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want to render a video from Sony Vegas through Debugmode Frameserver. I have used this method successfully in the past. For example I loaded camcorder mts files into Vegas, edited them, then run Debugmode Frameserver and could load the output avi file with AviSource into the encoder.

Recently I have edited an .mpg file, but AviSource doesn't open the Debugmode Frameserver avi output of that project. I says: 'Couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc DFSC"

I thought maybe the problem is that though the Debugmode Framserver output is an avi file, in reality the content is mpeg. So I copied DGDecode.dll to the AviSynth+ plugin library, and Tadaam, the Mpeg2Source command opened the Debugmode Framserver avi output. Rendered the video successfully.

BUT, today I noticed there was some problem when I edited the video in Vegas, so I corrected the errors. Then I moved onto rendering the project again with Debugmode Frameserver and Mpeg2Source, and it no more works. The error message I get: DGIndex.exe is missing. I thought, okay I copy DGIndex.exe as well to the plugin library of avisynth. But this way nothing happens, CMD.exe is started when running the script, but it freezes.

So what can I do in this case?

This is the Mediainfo of the mpeg file being edited:

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : C:\Users\bencuri\Videos\Obligatoire\primus.mpg
    Format                                   : MPEG-PS
    File size                                : 268 MiB
    Duration                                 : 5 min 35 s
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 6 688 kb/s
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
    Writing library                          : (dvd5: Oct 27 2015)

Video
    ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
    Format                                   : MPEG Video
    Format version                           : Version 2
    Format profile                           : Main@Main
    Format settings                          : CustomMatrix / BVOP
    Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15
    Format settings, picture structure       : Frame
    Duration                                 : 5 min 35 s
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 6 171 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate                         : 7 000 kb/s
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
    Standard                                 : PAL
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Interlaced
    Scan order                               : Bottom Field First
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.595
    Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed                         : Closed
    Stream size                              : 247 MiB (92%)
    Writing library                          : (dvd5: Oct 27 2015)
    Color primaries                          : BT.601 PAL
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.470 System B/G
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I am not sure that will solve problems alone. If I start exporting with DebugMode Frameserver, the Avi it creates works. If I open it in mediaplayer, it starts playing. It is only avisynth that cannot read it now. It could in the past, though. Back then I used avisynth 32 bit 2.6.0. I changed to avisynth+ 64bit recently. I wonder If that change causes the problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Something strange is going on here. If I use avisynth+ 64 bit, it doesn't work. I get the error that I mentioned above. If I use avisynth+32 bit, it works. AviSource opens the avi output from Vegas. But then the problem is, I cannot get my script working on avisynth+ 32 bit. Somehow it's just not compatibile.

At the same time my Vegas is 64 bit and the FramServer Plugin is for 64 bit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    At the same time my Vegas is 64 bit and the FramServer Plugin is for 64 bit.
    Maybe the Avisynth FrameServer Plugin x64 has a wrong version...
    Check if the 32 bit plugin is from the same developer as the 64 bit plugin.
    The 64 bit plugins have to be into the AviSynth+\plugins64+ folder.
    Last edited by ProWo; 6th Jun 2024 at 08:07.
    Quote Quote  
  5. for 64bit, you need frame server 3.0 , or however it is labeled now, https://www.debugmode.com/frameserver.html , I checked that website, it has a green button for 64bit version
    maybe you updated to 64bit avisynth or 64bit Vegas, but using old 32bit frame server
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    for 64bit, you need frame server 3.0 , or however it is labeled now, https://www.debugmode.com/frameserver.html , I checked that website, it has a green button for 64bit version
    maybe you updated to 64bit avisynth or 64bit Vegas, but using old 32bit frame server
    I do have 2.15 installed, but when you install it, it asks where to install, and you can select: Sony Vegas 64 bit.

3.0 is not available online any more, only 5.0 which is only for the most recent versions of Vegas that I don't have.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    3.0 is not available online any more, only 5.0 which is only for the most recent versions of Vegas that I don't have.
    old software versions are archived on this site

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Debugmode-FrameServer/old-versions
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    Recently I have edited an .mpg file, but AviSource doesn't open the Debugmode Frameserver avi output of that project.
    AviSource() can only open AVI files. It cannot open MPG files. Use Mpeg2Source(), ffmpeg, or LSMASH source filters instead.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    Recently I have edited an .mpg file, but AviSource doesn't open the Debugmode Frameserver avi output of that project.
    AviSource() can only open AVI files. It cannot open MPG files. Use Mpeg2Source(), ffmpeg, or LSMASH source filters instead.
    It does open them But only when the 32 bit Avisynth is installed. The 64 bit one has problems with the avi output of the Debugmode Frameserver. The latter one doesn't work no matter which source filter you use.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    old software versions are archived on this site

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Debugmode-FrameServer/old-versions
    Tried but unfortunately 3.0 doesn't work with Vegas older versions. My Vegas crashes when trying to render. So only 2.14 and Avisynth 32 bit is what works. But that is a pity because my script doesn't work on 32 bit.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What version of vegas are you using ?

Other options:

lossless/near lossless intermediate

or

mp_pipeline with x86 AVISource (since that works for you) in x64 host script
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Vegas 12 64 bit. The 2.14 Debugmode installer is offering to copy it for 64 bit Vegas, though. But maybe it means nothing and the frameserver is still 32 bit.

The interesting is, though, as I mentioned above: Mpeg2Source worked for a while with avisynth+ 64 bit. I added dgdecode.dll to the plugin folder, and it did open the video and could convert. But after a few days it started asking for DGindex.exe. Don't know what changed that is started behaving like that. So it no more works. If I could make it not look for the exe file maybe it could work again.

When you mean lossless which settings do you mean exactly? There are various lossless options, sometimes I tried them but got chaotic results.

mp_pipeline with x86 AVISource: how to do that, can you link a guide?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    Vegas 12 64 bit. The 2.14 Debugmode installer is offering to copy it for 64 bit Vegas, though. But maybe it means nothing and the frameserver is still 32 bit.
    Not sure, maybe you're mixing up versions. Try uninstalling , reinstalling

The interesting is, though, as I mentioned above: Mpeg2Source worked for a while with avisynth+ 64 bit. I added dgdecode.dll to the plugin folder, and it did open the video and could convert. But after a few days it started asking for DGindex.exe. Don't know what changed that is started behaving like that. So it no more works. If I could make it not look for the exe file maybe it could work again.
    It shouldn't work at all because the frameserved data is uncompressed, not mpeg2. Maybe you make a mistake or mixed something up

When you mean lossless which settings do you mean exactly? There are various lossless options, sometimes I tried them but got chaotic results.

A lossless codec like lagarith , ut video - in RGB mode. You are frameserving RGB with debugmode anyways . You need lots of storage space

mp_pipeline with x86 AVISource: how to do that, can you link a guide?

https://github.com/pinterf/MP_Pipeline
    https://github.com/pinterf/MP_Pipeline/blob/master/Documentation/MP_Pipeline_readme_avsplus.avs

mp_pipeline simple example should look like this

Code:
    MP_Pipeline("""

### platform: win32

AVISource("frameserver.avi")

### ###

### platform: win64

# x64 filters

### ###

""")
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    No no and no.

I did not mix up versions. 2.14 is the highest that works with Vegas 12. 3.0 needs later versions of Vegas. When I install the frameserver, it asks if I am using Vegas 32 bit or 64 bit. I select 64 bit, it installs. And then I can render by it using avisynth+ 32 bit. 64 bit doesn't work, cannot open any videos with any filters.

Mpeg2Source was an exception for a while. As I mentioned. But it only worked for a short period, now it doesn't work any more, but it is asking for DGIndex.exe. When I copy that to the avisynth+ plugin folder, the rendering starts but freezes. I have no idea how it could work before, but I rendered a full video with it.

Debugmode is processing with YUV as well, or YUY, I am not sure about which one, but not only RGB.

In my Vegas I can only find Lossless Avi. But I am not sure which options I need to choose here on its panel:

[Attachment 79748 - Click to enlarge]

That pipeline script seems to be quite convenient I will test it. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I have tried the pipeline method, I couldn't make it work with my recent script:

Code:
    MP_Pipeline("""

### platform: win32

AviSource("frameserver.avi")

### ###

### platform: win64

Crop(10,0,-6,-0)
    QTGMC()
    ColorMatrix(mode="rec.601->rec.709", clamp=0)

Dehalo_alpha(rx=2.0, ry=1.0, darkstr=2.0, brightstr=2.0)
    ***SMDegrain(thsad=1000, tr=3, prefilter=4) 

nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=960, fheight=720)
    ***aWarpSharp2(depth=5)
    ***CAS(0.5)

nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize")
    ***CropResize(1920,1080, 20,8,-10,-6, CropDAR=4.0/3.0, Resizer="Resize8", Borders=true)
    ***aWarpSharp2(depth=5)
    ***CAS(0.5)

### ###

""")
    The lines that I marked with the three ***, if they are included in the script, I get the error message: "Unable to create slave process."
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Well, finally I managed to find a solution. I could get my script working in avisynth+ 32bit. This way the behavior of Debugmode Framserver is not a problem (as I mentioned with avisynth+ 32bit, it works when I am opening the video with AviSource).

The only problem is that I get an errormessage on Dehalo Aplha, saying the color space is incorrect. I did a research, I found Dehalo Alpha supports only YV12, the output from the frameserver is YUY2. So I modified my code. Could you confirm it is correct this way, or now I messed up something with the colors instead?

Code:
    AviSource("frameserver.avi") 
    Crop(10,0,-6,-0)
    QTGMC()
    ColorMatrix(mode="rec.601->rec.709", clamp=0)  /the video being edited in Vegas is mpg/
    ConvertToYV12()
    Dehalo_alpha(rx=2.0, ry=1.0, darkstr=2.0, brightstr=2.0)
    SMDegrain(thsad=1000, tr=3, prefilter=4)

nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=960, fheight=720)
    aWarpSharp2(depth=5)
    CAS(0.5)

nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize")
    CropResize(1920,1080, 20,8,-10,-6, CropDAR=4.0/3.0, Resizer="Resize8", Borders=true)
    aWarpSharp2(depth=5)
    CAS(0.5)

prefetch(3)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    The lines that I marked with the three ***, if they are included in the script, I get the error message: "Unable to create slave process."
    But it works with QTGMC ? Interesting...

The only problem is that I get an errormessage on Dehalo Aplha, saying the color space is incorrect. I did a research, I found Dehalo Alpha supports only YV12, the output from the frameserver is YUY2. So I modified my code. Could you confirm it is correct this way, or now I messed up something with the colors instea

Dehalo_alpha_mt2 should work with 4:2:2 in planar (and high bit depths) if you have newer version of masktools
    https://github.com/realfinder/AVS-Stuff/blob/master/avs%202.5%20and%20up/DeHalo_alpha_mt2.avsi

ConvertToYV16()

All newer filters work in planar formats . All interleaved formats like YUY2 are depreciated and slower
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Maybe it is a dumb question, but I don't know too much about color settings. But in my script, is the Converttoyv16 at the proper place? I also don't know if it is in the script, does the 706-709 color matrix setting need to be included, or not necessary?

"Dehalo_alpha_mt2 should work with 4:2:2" it means dehalo can handle YUY2? I have no clue about these things sorry
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    Maybe it is a dumb question, but I don't know too much about color settings. But in my script, is the Converttoyv16 at the proper place? I also don't know if it is in the script, does the 706-709 color matrix setting need to be included, or not necessary?

If your final output is YV12 (8bit 4:2:0) , it doesn't matter, use YV12 as your original script. If you wanted to keep 4:2:2 , replace ConvertToYV12 with ConvertToYV16

matrix only matters for YUV<=>RGB conversions . If you have YUY2 frameserving , converting frameserved YUY2 to YV12 or YV16 is YUV to YUV - so matrix doesn't matter

"Dehalo_alpha_mt2 should work with 4:2:2" it means dehalo can handle YUY2? I have no clue about these things sorry
    No it only works with planar formats

YUY2 is packed 8bit 4:2:2 - essentially the same thing as YV16 (planar 8bit 4:2:2), but stored differently. Planar vs. Packed. YUY2 is Not compatible
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    I still don't get a few things:

1."If you wanted to keep 4:2:2 , replace ConvertToYV12 with ConvertToYV16"
    The source being edited in Vegas is BT.601 4:2:0. The Frameserver is outputting YUY2. So what should be that part of the script that sets the colors? I guess ConverttoYV12, isn't it? Or the frameserver inbetween changes it to 4:2:2?

2."matrix only matters for YUV<=>RGB conversions " Okay, but this gonna be an .mpg SD to .mp4 FullHD conversion. In that case the Matrix should be changed, shouldn't it? When I check the colors of the mp4 left in BT601 they look different, for example the contrast.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post

1."If you wanted to keep 4:2:2 , replace ConvertToYV12 with ConvertToYV16"
    The source being edited in Vegas is BT.601 4:2:0. The Frameserver is outputting YUY2. So what should be that part of the script that sets the colors? I guess ConverttoYV12, isn't it? Or the frameserver inbetween changes it to 4:2:2?

2."matrix only matters for YUV<=>RGB conversions " Okay, but this gonna be an .mpg SD to .mp4 FullHD conversion. In that case the Matrix should be changed, shouldn't it? When I check the colors of the mp4 left in BT601 they look different, for example the contrast.

Internally, vegas works in RGB

You're already changing the matrix in YUV with colormatrix . If you frameserve RGB instead, you can skip that and specify the matrix directly

The "contrast" change might be because of vegas - studio RGB vs. computer RGB . Vegas treats some sources differently. It uses studio RGB for most native camera sources . Nwer Magix versions of Vegas have more options to control the behaviour

For frameserver, you might have to use ConvertToYV12(matrix="PC.601") depending on how you setup the project (you do this typically when you frameserve RGB, PC vs. Rec won' t change the contrast if you frameserve YUY2), or use a computer RGB to studio RGB levels filter within vegas or vice versa before exporting , or use a Levels filter in avisynth to change the contrast back. You might have to do some tests like colorbars, because I don't know the details of how you have this project setup

601 vs. 709 doesn't really change the contrast . Pc vs. Rec in avisynth changes the contrast for RGB<=>YUV conversions. Studio RGB vs. Computer RGB behaviour in vegas changes the contrast
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 10th Jun 2024 at 08:23.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know what the 601 to 709 conversion changes, but when I leave 601 and upscale to FullHD, the dark parts become darker, even if I directly convert the source file skipping Vegas. Especially when I upload to Youtube, it becomes very visible.

Me I don't set anything in Vegas. I don't even see where I can set Colors. I see there is a Colorspace setting for videos on the timeline, for me it is at Default. I can see other options there but no RGB, YUV or similar mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  23. 601 vs 709 shifts the colors slightly, it doesn't increase the contrast

"dark parts getting darker" implies increasing contrast

If it's a studio/computer RGB issue in vegas, you would either apply computer RGB to studio RGB preset before frameserver in vegas, or levels(0,1,255,16,235,false) in avisynth after avisource

Post more information, such as video before/after if neither fixes the issue
    Quote Quote  
  24. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what the 601 to 709 conversion changes, but when I leave 601 and upscale to FullHD, the dark parts become darker, even if I directly convert the source file skipping Vegas.
    The command Colormatrix("Rec.601->Rec.709") is required when you upscale from SD to HD in AviSynth while always staying in YUV color space.

If you use Vegas or else, you introduce another variable in the equation, because there is a RGB conversion, so better follow pdr recommendations...
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    I don't know what the 601 to 709 conversion changes, but when I leave 601 and upscale to FullHD, the dark parts become darker, even if I directly convert the source file skipping Vegas.
    The command Colormatrix("Rec.601->Rec.709") is required when you upscale from SD to HD in AviSynth while always staying in YUV color space.

If you use Vegas or else, you introduce another variable in the equation, because there is a RGB conversion, so better follow pdr recommendations...
    That's fine, I mean the fact that Vegas introduces RGB conversion. However I still don't understand why it is so important to emphasize that? I assume it makes no sense in connection with the Avisynth script, because as I mentioned, Debugmode Frameserver outputs in YUY. It can output in RGB, but YUY as well, and YUY is my default selection. So why is it important to emphasize what Vegas does with the colorspace, when the video data entering to Avisynth is no more RGB but YUY?
    Quote Quote