VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm looking at build a new PC about 4 to 6 months after the new AMD Ryzen 9000 series cpu's are released.

I'm thinking of switching to AMD main because they seem like they are faster then the Intel stuff and run cooler.

What I'm looking at doing is running an Intel Arc card for increased encoding speed because I run Handbrake and other encoding software a lot.
    From what I have seen a lot of youtubers and other media outlets say that Intel Arc's encode a good bit faster then everything else on the market and are also a good bit cheaper.

I'm also planning on waiting until Intel release their second gen video cards because the only turn off for me right now is that with the current gen they use more power at idle then most other video cards and less while encoding and I want to see if Intel fixes the idle power thing and if not most likely just get an A580 card anyway as the extra power draw isn't a big concern of mine.

I would have just thrown an A580 into my current rig but it doesn't have PCI-e 5.0 which you need to see the increased encoding speeds.

What has been your experience's running Intel Arc cards,I know when they first came out they had a lot of driver problems which seem to have been sorted out which doesn't matter to me because that was mainly problems for gamers which I won't be doing much of if any.
    Quote Quote  
  2. from what i have seen, nvidia's latest cards produce higher quality encodes than intel's cards, if that's worth anything.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by frank_footer View Post
    from what i have seen, nvidia's latest cards produce higher quality encodes than intel's cards, if that's worth anything.
    Where did you see that was it from a review or something,I sure hope that wouldn't be case but in todays world nothing surprise's me anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by frank_footer View Post
    from what i have seen, nvidia's latest cards produce higher quality encodes than intel's cards, if that's worth anything.
    That times are over.
    Intel is the new king of encoding.
    I use A770 and can compare directly with RTX 3080 even 4070 Ti.
    Intel gets the higher compression and better quality.
    Max 16 bframes vs Nvidia max 5 bframes.

It works with PCIe 4.0 16x
    Resizable BAR is needed to enjoy the faster speed or the AMD equivalent for AMD boards.

Last edited by dietboby; 4th Jun 2024 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AMD has never run cooler, still doesn't.

Intel GPUs are still behind AMD and Nvidia, in terms of graphics output.

For faster editing, I switched to Mac M2 Pro. But I still restore and encode on an older Windows system. The bottleneck is always me or the software, not the hardware. Sometimes "faster" isn't really faster.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote