VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Problem with Pinnacle USB 710. In VD2 and VD 1.9 I have "some kind of picture" scrambled signal or something via composite out but via s-video just black screen. I tried switching to windows WDM and selecting Pinnacle 710 but VirtualDub2 froze every time.
    Any idea whats happening here ?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	79453  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	79454  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	79455  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Out of interest, what version of Windows?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Win 10 latest updates fresh install. Everyone is saying it's working on win 10.

Tried to switch from overlay to preview mode, but then I only got black screen or green.

I manage to get picture in OBS but no sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
    Problem with Pinnacle USB 710. In VD2 and VD 1.9 I have "some kind of picture" scrambled signal or something via composite out but via s-video just black screen.
    I see exactly the same "distorted image" with my Dazzle DVC100 and Virtualdub when the overlay option is active.
    When switching to preview option then then image shows correctly.

Edit:
    Ok that is not working for you i read now (too late).

Try it with AmaRecTV ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everyone is saying it's working on win 10.
    Not me. Mine stopped showing up at all in VDub and AmarecTV on Win 10 last year and now Win 11 either. Oddly, the DV over USB works great.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Everyone is saying it's working on win 10.
    Not me. Mine stopped showing up at all in VDub and AmarecTV on Win 10 last year and now Win 11 either. Oddly, the DV over USB works great.
    What revision do you have I have 1.0.

Didn't try AmarecTV, but will do now.
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 30th May 2024 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I got this error when selecting pinnacle 710 in amarectv

Name:	20240530_163718.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	79456  

Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    To switch to S-Video you need the crossbar thing, Your screen display is a driver issue, try re-installing the Win 7 driver again from the pinnacle driver page, It's somewhere online, I just can't find it now. Alternatively try Captureflux, make sure to capture lossless not in DV.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I installed Win 7 64 bit drivers from pinnacle web directly. It should work on Win 10 without problems as I read.

I tried to switch it, but no changes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Thermaltake
    I've got Rev 1.0 as well.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    They said that's the best version with good chip inside.

It's working in Pinnacle Studio 20 without any problems video and sound.

In amarectv I got error message that I attached above.

In VD no picture or sound, when WDM is selected software froze.

In OBS I got picture but no sound.
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 31st May 2024 at 04:31.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Did you try my alternative suggestion in my previous post?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Did you try my alternative suggestion in my previous post?
    I reinstall the drivers downloaded from pinnacle website for win 7 x64. And download captureflex I got audio and video there. Audio is little crackling tried to mess with crossbar when I apply link related streams or anything else in that menu, audio is ok for 5 seconds, than it starts to crackling again. Tried different audio cable same. Video is I assume ok, it's better via RCA than s-video for some reason (I use scart to s-video and 2xRCA). On s-video I got some tiny spider net over the picture. Also dont know what bitrate or anything that it is capturing in. In preview window it looks like it's zoomed in a lot.

Is this software better than amarectv and VD ?

Here is video of problem with audio:
    https://streamable.com/x18bpi (RCA)

https://streamable.com/opuqz6 (s-video)

Name:	20240531_210214.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	79529  

Last edited by Thermaltake; 31st May 2024 at 14:35.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Windows OS not good at previewing audio from another audio card, the system always seem to screw with audio monitoring, I personally don't like tapping into the captured audio stream by the onboard audio monitoring card run by Windows, Try capturing some video and see how it sounds, This is why vdub doesn't like monitoring and capturing audio at the same time, Other manufacturers like BM in their MediaExpress disable Windows from monitoring audio at the driver level to prevent problems. CaptureFlux seem to manage previewing audio without affecting the captured audio better than any other software I've tried so far.

The noise in S-Video is a good indication of non shielded and/or non coaxial cable.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You were right. Audio is only like that in preview mode. When captured it sounds ok. But picture is awful and it's zoomed in dont know how to configure that thing. On my Elgato capturing card picture is clear without tearing and quality of picture is around 1Mbps I dont want to put 3.5 because file would be like 12GB. And that's too much for this situation.

How come I dont have noise on s-video via Elgato, picture is clear.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That is not what the "Rev." refers to on these units. The same "Rev." can have changes. In fact, I've never seen a unit that wasn't "Rev. 1.0", but there are definitely visible differences over time, to say nothing of the firmwares.

I'm honestly not even sure that "Rev." actually means revisions with these units. It should (standard abbreviation jargon), but we're assuming.

Serial numbers, revisions, etc -- those often do not mean what laymen end users think those do. It's for internal use, not your use. The meanings are not universal.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    That is not what the "Rev." refers to on these units. The same "Rev." can have changes. In fact, I've never seen a unit that wasn't "Rev. 1.0", but there are definitely visible differences over time, to say nothing of the firmwares.

I'm honestly not even sure that "Rev." actually means revisions with these units. It should (standard abbreviation jargon), but we're assuming.

Serial numbers, revisions, etc -- those often do not mean what laymen end users think those do. It's for internal use, not your use. The meanings are not universal.
    And how to know if I have unit that you approve, can you tell us what to look for ? Do I need to open it up and check chip or what ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have video with Captureflux and the 710. Since mine is a Lordsmurf-provided 710, I therefore assume that it will indeed not work on VDub with Win 10 (or 11).

@Dellsam, it appears we can't choose a capture video codec in Captureflux. It only captures uncompressed YUV. Is that your experience?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I have video with Captureflux and the 710. Since mine is a Lordsmurf-provided 710, I therefore assume that it will indeed not work on VDub with Win 10 (or 11).
    Can you try and let me know if your works if you have W10 like me.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 710 works OK with Captureflux, but it only captures YUV/Uncompressed video by the looks of it. Have to wait for Dellsam to advise on this.

Audio is fine; the "volume" control doesn't affect the capture volume and I can't get any monitoring of the audio before or during capture. "Trust me", it says!

Bit of an odd setup, but beggars can't be choosers.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The 710 works OK with Captureflux, but it only captures YUV/Uncompressed video by the looks of it. Have to wait for Dellsam to advise on this.

Audio is fine; the "volume" control doesn't affect the capture volume and I can't get any monitoring of the audio before or during capture. "Trust me", it says!

Bit of an odd setup, but beggars can't be choosers.
    I ment is it working i VD, cause mine don't.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    CaptureFlux can capture lossless AVI in 8bit and 10bit as well as DV, WMV, see attached screenshot, I'm not sure if you can add codecs to it, I've never tried since I don't use it primarily.

When captured it sounds ok. But picture is awful and it's zoomed in dont know how to configure that thing. On my Elgato capturing card picture is clear without tearing and quality of picture is around 1Mbps I dont want to put 3.5 because file would be like 12GB. And that's too much for this situation.
    Not sure what are you doing but CF does not zoom in video, It has a full screen preview that looks awful but it captures the entire frame.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-31 235257.png
Views:	117
Size:	623.2 KB
ID:	79540  

Quote Quote  
  23. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Did you try clicking on the speaker icon?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Arrh, sorry, I misread you. No, it stopped working in Win 10 last year, and it doesn't work in Win 11. With VDub 1.9.11, it's in the device list but I can't access the capture pin, which eventually crashes VDub.

That fixed it. As I said, and odd setup.

So it basically just captures whatever the digitiser is spitting out, within the limits of the Capture Pin. Without the fancy BM stuff, we're stuck with Uncompressed-Lossless (as opposed to Compressed-Lossless).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Arrh, sorry, I misread you. No, it stopped working in Win 10 last year, and it doesn't work in Win 11. With VDub 1.9.11, it's in the device list but I can't access the capture pin, which eventually crashes VDub.

That fixed it. As I said, and odd setup.

So it basically just captures whatever the digitiser is spitting out, within the limits of the Capture Pin. Without the fancy BM stuff, we're stuck with Uncompressed-Lossless (as opposed to Compressed-Lossless).
    lordsmurf is claiming that his 710 are working on Win 10 with VD if I'm correct ?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf is claiming that his 710 are working on Win 10 with VD if I'm correct ?
    He is. I'd like to know what version his Win10 is at.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You can use vdub2 for that when trimming start and end of capture or any noise in between, set output in vdub2 to whatever lossless compressor you have, It can also be part of the de-interlacing, cropping, upscaling and/or encoding process if you use vdub2 as an output processor like I do.
    Quote Quote  
  28. So basically pinnacle 710 is garbage cause you can't use it in real softwares like VDub...
    Quote Quote  
  29. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There is no such real software, Vdub started out as a TV recording software for TV tuner cards with the capability of capturing video input, That's why it still has so many settings that are no longer relevant to analog tape formats such as broadcast TV sub formats like PAL-B, BG, DK ...etc. Vdub should have been simplified and tuned towards capturing analog video with the option of automatically detecting the source format, frame rate and resolution like CaptureFlux does.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As alternative, just use AmarecTV, which is far better than VirtualDub for modern OSs and cards
    Quote Quote