VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here with another wubikens thread, although it should hopefully be the last one for awhile after this.

Running into an issue with chroma "flickering" and having a difficult time finding a good solution. Looking closely at the fur of the bear in the video, you should see some flickering occurring.

I experimented with a bunch of different filters from the Avisynth external filters page. The temporal ones helped the most (and some of the spatio-temporal ones like MCTD) but they all also introduced some pretty heinous detail destruction and an awful motion blur of some sort. The exception was vsCnr2, which instead caused some chroma ghosting.

I was wondering if anyone might have any advice on some good filters to use for this issue, or some suggestions for settings? Having a hard time making any headway by myself currently. Thanks as always!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try this, seems to work:
    Code:
    vsTTempSmooth(maxr=2)
    neo_f3kdb (preset="high/nograin", dither_algo=2)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by buzz1891 View Post
    Try this, seems to work:
    Code:
    vsTTempSmooth(maxr=2)
    neo_f3kdb (preset="high/nograin", dither_algo=2)
    Thank you so much! Yeah that seems to do a good job of getting rid of the flickering on the fur. I was wondering if there were any possible alternatives to temporal filtering, though? One nasty issue that I run into with any temporal filter is blurring during scenes in motion. Here's a completely unrelated scene from the same video where the temporal filtering always ends up blurring the details:

[Attachment 79334 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try something like
    Code:
    AVISource("bear.avi")
    converttoYV16()
    MCDegrainSharp() #or tweak Temporaldegrain2(....), the flicker is mostly in the U plane
    # ... you may want to add some chroma sharpening here ...
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 24th May 2024 at 03:27.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Try something like
    Code:
    AVISource("bear.avi")
    converttoYV16()
    MCDegrainSharp() #or tweak Temporaldegrain2(....), the flicker is mostly in the U plane
    # ... you may want to add some chroma sharpening here ...
    This worked beautifully, thanks! I actually tried TemporalDegrain2 beforehand, and while I noticed a slight improvement, I think this does a much better job imo. It also doesn't cause as much detail loss as TD2 did (or really any detail loss, from what I can see).
    Quote Quote