VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several image editing softwares including Focusviewer, Corel Graphics Suite and Canon Photo Professional Editor.
    I'm having trouble editing this 680x1024 jpg image (from Getty Images). The original resolution isn't the best and it looks like it has some kind of noise in it (it looks a little grainy). The original jpg resolution is 96 dpi 24-bit.
    I tried unsharpening and sharpening it and adjusting contrast to make it look better and don't see much improvement.
    What do you think I need to do to it to make it look clearer/sharper?

[Attachment 79298 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. In general you want to start with the highest quality quality version as a starting point - for anything.

A 1360x2048 jpeg preview is available , has more detail / fewer artifacts

If you're going to be using it - you should pay the license fee , and there is a higher quality version available (not a preview)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gettyimages-635943765-2048x2048.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	79300  

Quote Quote  
  3. The image is already sharp. The problem is all the noise and other small, low contrast details are gone due to the over compression. You're left with DCT blocking, DCT ringing, and posterization artifacts. You can't get the details back.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're going to be using it - you should pay the license fee , and there is a higher quality version available (not a preview)
    The image is already sharp. The problem is all the noise and other small, low contrast details are gone due to the over compression. You're left with DCT blocking, DCT ringing, and posterization artifacts. You can't get the details back.
    I can't pay $175 to purchase this. I've downloaded other jpg Getty Images and turned them into 28"x36" posters online. My walls are filled with posters of my guitar heroes (you would think I'm still a teenager but I'm 60 now and played I've the guitar 45 years).
    I got a larger jpg of this image which is 1360x2048 300dpi 24-bit. I guess I'll just have to make the best of what I have.
    Quote Quote