VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all…
    I’ve run into an issue while burning dvds which I hope someone will be able to shed some light on.
    I’ve been burning my own dvds, for dance shows that I film, for about 5 years.
    I started off using single layer verbatim dvd-r, but have now moved up to verbatim DL.
    I've no formal training in this so have learned everything from trial and error, and all was going well until this current project.
    I’m running windows 11 on quite a high spec machine, editing on Movavi video editor and authoring on Nero video.

When im playing back on a Sony dvd player, it plays ok until I try to skip forward and then it will stutter and freeze to the point I have to eject it.
    I have a batch of 15 dvds that I have burned and 6 of them have this issue, I don’t know if this is a software/hardware problem or that I’ve got a bad batch of discs?

I’m burning the discs on an Asus usb drive.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Brizzol; 20th May 2024 at 11:11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you checked thoroughly that the disk plays properly on the PC? This would at least indicate the disk is burned and organized properly if so.
    That it doesn't play reliably on your standalone player probably indicates marginal media/burn that the device doesn't like.
    See here for some tips, including links to some utilities for assessing a burn.
    https://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-tests.htm
    Last edited by davexnet; 20th May 2024 at 13:14.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply davexnet

Yes, the discs that dont play on the dvd player also dont work properly on the pc.
    The dvd drive is less than two years old and its a reputable band , but I have ordered a new one as I dont have another working dvd writer to swap out.
    I have also ordered another pack of dvds to eliminate that also, thanks for the link that is helpful information, although I cant seem to be able to download the discspeed program it keeps coming up with a forum error, i will try again tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try copying the video_ts folder from the DVD to the PC. See if it copies relatively quickly, without retries and/or failure at a certain
    point. If it copies OK try playing it from the copied version

I think you need to be a member to download from there, here it is, I downloaded it myself.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that, I am registered and logged in so not sure why it won’t let me download it.
    I haven’t tried copying the TS folder yet, I will try that later.
    I installed the disc speed program and ran that on the disc which took quite a while, the results were…
    Surface scan
    Good - 99.5%
    Damaged - 0.1%
    Bad - 0.4%

Having never scanned a disc with this program before, should that be coming back as 100% good?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I have just tried to copy the video_ts folder from the disc, and it stops on 55% everytime saying it cant read from the source file or disc.

That would make sense as its the beginning of the second half of the dvd where it starts freezing.
    So im wondering if that points to a bad disc, or the burner is faulty, could it be possible that is the point where it changes to the second layer?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brizzol View Post
    So I have just tried to copy the video_ts folder from the disc, and it stops on 55% everytime saying it cant read from the source file or disc.

That would make sense as its the beginning of the second half of the dvd where it starts freezing.
    So im wondering if that points to a bad disc, or the burner is faulty, could it be possible that is the point where it changes to the second layer?
    make sure that you are burning the discs at 4x speed and use imgburn to burn and use good quality media such as verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sectors corresponding to "Bad" are unreadable, while "Damaged" (according to Nero's doc) means:
    Yellow-Damaged sectors that can still be read using the recorder’s internal error correction feature

If the computer drive it was written on can't read it successfully, I would guess that the standalone device
    would struggle even worse. This probably explains what you're seeing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So using a new Hitachi dvd writer and a new pack of Verbatim DVD+R DL its now burning perfectly!
    20 discs so far and not one coaster made!

Thanks for all the help
    Quote Quote