VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been experimenting with interlaced footage and found a video that seems to have been interlaced twice. Here are two frames of the video:
    [Attachment 79214 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 79215 - Click to enlarge]

I was able to get rid of the first "layer" of interlacing using my normal method of dgbob+yadif filters in avidemux, see below:
    [Attachment 79212 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 79213 - Click to enlarge]

The problem is, the lines are too thick to de-interlace using my current method. I can resize the video vertically to 1/5th size (since the lines are 5 pixels wide) and de-interlace that way due to the lines now being the standard 1 pixel, and resize it back to normal, but the result is a significant loss of resolution.
    [Attachment 79219 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 79220 - Click to enlarge]

(The video had a weird screen wipe effect in transitions, this is "normal")

Is there a known method of de-interlacing interlaced footage with large lines?
    I've attached a short sample of the video. Thanks!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. also - is there a better thread to post this? I'm new here lol
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This kind of artifact is usually the result of the video being resized vertically while it was still interlaced.
    This mingles the two fields and this problem becomes baked in.

Search the forum for Debicubic and Debilinear for examples and attempts to reverse this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, the video was downscaled from 576 lines to 480 lines while interlaced. The De[*]ResizeMT() filters are for video that's been upscaled, so they won't work here. About the best you can hope for is to blur the comb artifacts away.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, thank you for the information it's interesting.

Last edited by beyonslay; 26th May 2024 at 16:44.
    Quote Quote