VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I found this card in my box from back in the days, I see on ebay that people are pricing that card for 200$. What's the deal with that card ? Is it working on Win 10 maybe ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Nothing, The software is useless, The hardware depends if you can get it recognized by modern OS under some old drivers. It could well be DV hardware locked, meaning you can't get lossless AVI, only DV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    According to the posts on the German Gleitz video forum, it should also be possible to capture uncompressed Avi with the Storm 2 using Virtual Dub.

https://gleitz.info/forum/index.php?thread/47781-frage-zu-canopus-dvstorm2-und-virtual...einstellungen/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. It does NOT capture uncompressed. You MAY be able to open/use it with vdub, but it is a DV device, and every thing coming into it is either Analog converted to DV or is a straight DV --> DV transfer. If vdub has options for other codecs, it is doing an ADDITIONAL conversion.

I know. I used to own this card/unit back in the early 2000s at my production company. One of the best & most versatile of DV cards at the time. (And contrary to what Dellsam34 said, the software was decent - again, at the time).
    But time and technology has long since passed this by...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I clearly said the software is useless, not was useless. Yeah Intel Pentium was decent too.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The card captures in DV, but the quality of its A/D conversion is at the top (codec is not the only merit figure). Excellent device.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    The card captures in DV, but the quality of its A/D conversion is at the top (codec is not the only merit figure). Excellent device.
    Any use of it today on new OS ? Has anyone tried ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Any use of it today on new OS ?
    No
    Quote Quote  
  9. So basically excellent card for older machines only ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Consider that it captures in DV, so a lossless approach is more adequate for analog capturing (modern cards have lower quality A/D conversion, but it is largely compensated by the lossless approach).

If you have a XP computer it's worth a try, otherwise stick to one of the recommended workflows.

If you get to do some capture with it (and eventually with a USB recommended card in parallel), post some samples here, so we can compare and give a feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have two caputing cards, elgato and Pinacle 710. For VCR I use JVC S9760E VCR, now I'm fixing HS-1000, a lot of trouble with it, but I think I will manage to get it work.
    Quote Quote