VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, I'm trying to restore a VHS capture for an anime. I have a couple copies of the VHS tape, and it seems that in the actual footage of the anime, there's some damage present on the animation itself, with black lines running across the screen at the same exact point in the same exact way on both tapes. Luckily it's only present for like a few frames, so it goes by quick. But I was wondering, since the damage will appear on every copy of the VHS, is it possible to extract the frames, fix them manually in like Photoshop (or even Paint) and then re-insert them into the video via VirtualDub? If so, are there any guides on the steps or programs needed? Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can export captured video as images, edit few of them and later import whole sequence.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You can export captured video as images, edit few of them and later import whole sequence.
    Agree.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would just export the few affected frames . I see no reason to convert the entire video to images

You can reassemble the affected frames back into video you can use avisynth (splice, trim) , or a video editor

Depending on the source video type, you might not even have to re-encode the thousands of frames, just a few, and append the video segments . This will be much faster (and higher quality if source video was YUV)

Other options -

Photoshop extended can open many types of video directly. Or you can use avfs to create a "virtual" file that PS can open

Depending on what needs to be "fixed" , you might not even need PS , or there might be more appropriate tools to fix that type of problem. e.g. AE shares many PS tools - but is more appropriate for many video tasks such has rotoscoping/animated masks , motion tracking. It can save a lot of time when you have more than a few frames
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by wubikens View Post
    is it possible to extract the frames, fix them manually in like Photoshop (or even Paint) and then re-insert them into the video via VirtualDub? If so, are there any guides on the steps or programs needed? Thank you so much!

If you were using lossless I frame compression such as some of the videos in your recent threads - this is easy in vdub/vdub2

e.g.
    01.avi might be the 1st section
    02.avi might be the problem frame section
    03.avi might be last section

For SD progressive video (assuming you've IVTCed already), all the default YUV<=>RGB conversions in vdub are ok (601, progressive) . (It's a bit more tricky for non SD video (other matrices 709/2020), or interlaced video with 4:2:0 with vdub)

You can mark in/ mark out (home and end keys are the hotkeys), video=>direct stream copy, and file => save video for each of 01.avi and 03.avi

You can mark in/ mark out and file => export image sequence for the problem middle section .

Edit in PS or whatever program

To reassemble , open the 1st image and vdub will load the sequence. Video=>frame rate to set the frame rate. Video=>compression to the same compression as the other segments; file=>save video ("02.avi") in this example

File => append avi segment to join segments back together, file => save video (e.g. "final.avi")

Make sure video=>direct stream copy for all cutting operations , and the final append
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by wubikens View Post
    is it possible to extract the frames, fix them manually in like Photoshop (or even Paint) and then re-insert them into the video via VirtualDub? If so, are there any guides on the steps or programs needed? Thank you so much!

If you were using lossless I frame compression such as some of the videos in your recent threads - this is easy in vdub/vdub2

e.g.
    01.avi might be the 1st section
    02.avi might be the problem frame section
    03.avi might be last section

For SD progressive video (assuming you've IVTCed already), all the default YUV<=>RGB conversions in vdub are ok (601, progressive) . (It's a bit more tricky for non SD video (other matrices 709/2020), or interlaced video with 4:2:0 with vdub)

You can mark in/ mark out (home and end keys are the hotkeys), video=>direct stream copy, and file => save video for each of 01.avi and 03.avi

You can mark in/ mark out and file => export image sequence for the problem middle section .

Edit in PS or whatever program

To reassemble , open the 1st image and vdub will load the sequence. Video=>frame rate to set the frame rate. Video=>compression to the same compression as the other segments; file=>save video ("02.avi") in this example

File => append avi segment to join segments back together, file => save video (e.g. "final.avi")

Make sure video=>direct stream copy for all cutting operations , and the final append
    This is perfect, thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by wubikens View Post
    Hey, I'm trying to restore a VHS capture for an anime. I have a couple copies of the VHS tape, and it seems that in the actual footage of the anime, there's some damage present on the animation itself, with black lines running across the screen at the same exact point in the same exact way on both tapes. Luckily it's only present for like a few frames, so it goes by quick. But I was wondering, since the damage will appear on every copy of the VHS, is it possible to extract the frames, fix them manually in like Photoshop (or even Paint) and then re-insert them into the video via VirtualDub? If so, are there any guides on the steps or programs needed? Thank you so much!
    If it's only for a single frame, you can just replace that frame with a duplicate of the previous one before it, or the next frame after it. If it's multiple frames in a row, I wouldn't know what to suggest without screenshots or a video sample to look at.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I would just export the few affected frames . I see no reason to convert the entire video to images
    It is obvious - unknown format and codec used to perform capture - recently more and more newly opened threads imply use of some lossy, interframe video codec - in such case to get linear access to every video frame is to export whole sequence as series of pictures - also this depends on editor possibilities - for NLE it is probably easier to navigate and export and later substitute single pictures but for linear editors with limited functionality (mostly limited to split, cut, combine) whole series of the separate pictures may be easier to control.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have some experience in restoration of videos having multiple frames (as many as 2000 in one of my cases) with line-dropping. The workflow consisted of these steps in Avisynth + Photoshop:

1. Copying the affected frames in pair with adjascent good ones. It's easy to do using AVSpMod (Avisynth frontend) since it suggests frame numbers in file names. You can mark good files e.g. with '+' added to file names while saving.

2. Repairing bad frames in Photoshop: in most cases an adjascent good frame can be used as background under the bad frame treated with 'rubber' tool.

3. Building a video sequence from the repaired frames. It must have the same number of frames as the original video, with the unused frames blanked. This can be done directly using CoronaSequence function of the Avisynth plugin ImageSequence. It will take properly numbered files from a folder you specify.

4. Combining the two video sequences, you can use 'RemapFrames' Avisynth plugin for replacing bad frames with repaired ones of the same frame number. The function you choose from that plugin is ReplaceFramesSimple. It will use frame numbers from a text file.
    Last edited by Alex_ander; 7th May 2024 at 08:02.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    Originally Posted by wubikens View Post
    Hey, I'm trying to restore a VHS capture for an anime. I have a couple copies of the VHS tape, and it seems that in the actual footage of the anime, there's some damage present on the animation itself, with black lines running across the screen at the same exact point in the same exact way on both tapes. Luckily it's only present for like a few frames, so it goes by quick. But I was wondering, since the damage will appear on every copy of the VHS, is it possible to extract the frames, fix them manually in like Photoshop (or even Paint) and then re-insert them into the video via VirtualDub? If so, are there any guides on the steps or programs needed? Thank you so much!
    If it's only for a single frame, you can just replace that frame with a duplicate of the previous one before it, or the next frame after it. If it's multiple frames in a row, I wouldn't know what to suggest without screenshots or a video sample to look at.
    Thankfully, upon closer inspection, the frames that were damaged were duplicate frames of good frames, so I ended up not having to use Photoshop. I was able to just duplicate the good frames and delete the bad. It was multiple frames in a row (5 total: 2 good, 3 bad).
    Quote Quote