VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I have a question: I recorded many TV shows on DVD. That DVD player broke so I recover those videos as .VOB files then I encode them to .mp4 with Handbrake. Sometimes I get menu box on top of video. Why that happens? It reads texts like PAL, DVD, EDIT and Date / Time.
    I can try to provide screenshot about problem if it helps to solve it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Epona46 View Post
    I have a question: I recorded many TV shows on DVD. That DVD player broke so I recover those videos as .VOB files then I encode them to .mp4 with Handbrake. Sometimes I get menu box on top of video. Why that happens? It reads texts like PAL, DVD, EDIT and Date / Time.
    I can try to provide screenshot about problem if it helps to solve it.
    I stopped using Handbrake because it makes my computer really hot during encoding.
    Try MKVToolNix Gui. Just add the VOB files in the right order and you should get an mkv file in a very short time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Which filetype is better to convert videos: .mp4 or .mkv ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Epona46 View Post
    Neither container is better than the other. MKVToolnix only remuxes the video from the source into the MKV file. The video does not change at all, it's just as good or bad as the original VOB, and the size of the MKV file is close to the size of the original VOB file (just different amounts of container overhead). Handbrake normally re-encodes the video -- which takes much longer and may reduce the quality. But you can specify different amounts of compression and filtering to clean up the video and get a smaller or larger file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    [Attachment 78609 - Click to enlarge]

So. That box is my problem. It happens sometimes when I encode .VOB to .mp4
    How to remove that from happening? I know .VOB files are segmented to chapters. Does that box happen because of it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Looks like you used also vob file containing a basic menu. Skip file VTS_0[number]_0.VOB. Edit: it also can be VIDEO_TS.VOB. I don't remember what create standalone recorders as I no longer use such mpeg files.
    Last edited by noemi7; 25th Apr 2024 at 03:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Epona46 View Post
    MKV has the advantage that you can add several streams to it like subtitles and audio files in different languages and then watch on TV and select the streams that you prefer.
    As mentioned before, you seem to have added the VIDEO_TS.VOB file and this is the menu file.
    You can open it very briefly with VLC or for as long as you wish with PotPlayer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I only get those VTS files when I recover them with Isobuster from DVD disc. That is why they have that VTS name. Only some videos give that White box not all videos and that is strange. I bet it happens because some programs have commercials and I try to cut them off. That is why video gets multiple segments / chapters there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Aw dang it. I guess I test few more encoders and see what happens. I downloaded few more here.
    Quote Quote