VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to get this to convert to sn MKV, but the disc labels both tracks as Stereo like so:
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/QjNbFGn

Track 2 is definitely DTS 5.1, but I can't find software (even IfoEdit) so they appear normal. I want to rip the video with the DTS track, not the PCM 2. The weird things my receiver seems to think it's MC, but everything is just white noise is played as if I don't have a DTS de/encoder.

Its this a manufacturing error or is this salvageable? Thank you everyione.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-16 235927.png
Views:	22
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	78440  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-17 000104.png
Views:	17
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	78441  

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-17 000757.png
Views:	24
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	78442  

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-17 000937.png
Views:	22
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	78443  

Quote Quote  
  2. Use mediainfo to know the real audio codecs.
    I think Handbrake is right and both audiostreams are lpcm.

edit:
    tested video from pic #3, no DTS, one audio stream only:
    Stream 0:1, Audio, aac, 2 Channels, 96 kb/s
    Last edited by ProWo; 17th Apr 2024 at 03:27.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Use mediainfo to know the real audio codecs.
    I think Handbrake is right and both audiostreams are lpcm.

edit:
    tested video from pic #3, no DTS, one audio stream only:
    Stream 0:1, Audio, aac, 2 Channels, 96 kb/s
    I would agree, but the video plays normal LPCM 2.0 in audio track 1, but the normal FUZZZZZZZZZ sound of DTS without installing a decoder. Also I uploaded the wrong photo from IFOEdit. That picture is from AFTER I edited the IFO to make track 2 DTS. This is the original. Thank you!!

Also, I've included the cover which clearly displays DTS. When I originally bought it back in 2003, there was no issue with the DTS track. I've bought it again twice in the last 5 years, but both had this same issue. So I figured there's something wrong with the disc. But if you hit the info button while it's playing the FUZZZZ DTS track, the receiver clearly says DTS 5.1 as the input.
    [Attachment 78506 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 78505 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by astroashton; 20th Apr 2024 at 11:00. Reason: Additional info
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ifoedit clearly states LPCM for audiostream 2, not DTS.
    Maybe these are bad copies of the original.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Ifoedit clearly states LPCM for audiostream 2, not DTS.
    Maybe these are bad copies of the original.
    But why would it give the fuzz sound indicative of dts without a decoder, yet my receiver says the signal is dts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can imagine dts being subwrapped in pcm giving trouble. Maybe something went sideways during the rip.
    What software did you use to rip/recompile to iso/folder-structure?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DTS wrapped in PCM makes sense on those specially-encoded DTS audio CDs, but this is a DVD, and so DTS should always be its own native raw stream when demuxed.
    Something is wrong with the rip, or this is not an original disc, or this was a badly authored disc.
    If this IS a DTS-WAV, you'll need to extract it from the LPCM first. Do a search here on "DTS-WAV" to see historic discussion on that topic (of which I contributed a few times), as well as links - but those links are very likely outdated.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Found an old article on doom9 regarding dts embedded in wav
    Ffmpeg should be able to extract dts from wav with a simple command:
    Ffmpeg input.wav -c copy output.dts
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    DTS wrapped in PCM makes sense on those specially-encoded DTS audio CDs, but this is a DVD, and so DTS should always be its own native raw stream when demuxed.
    Something is wrong with the rip, or this is not an original disc, or this was a badly authored disc.
    If this IS a DTS-WAV, you'll need to extract it from the LPCM first. Do a search here on "DTS-WAV" to see historic discussion on that topic (of which I contributed a few times), as well as links - but those links are very likely outdated.

Scott
    I've used several programs to read the disc and rip. Handbrake mainly to rip, IFOEdit for reading the info. Every single one returns the 2nd audio track as LPCM 2.0 48, but when you play or rip the disc, it's obviously a DTS signal because of the noise it makes. HOWEVER, one time I though to use the info button on my receiver, it actually said DTS Input 5.1 48 -> Direct DTS Output 5.1 48. I have yet to replicate this. I've tried extracting the audio with PowerDVD, DVDFab, DVD Audio Extractor, VLC, Foobar, and more. When you said DTS wrapped in LPCM, this was my initial thought. Something is wrong in the authoring of the DVD. I figured that in the files, they must have screwed up and used the LPCM label on the DTS track. Authoring is new to me. But in IFOEdit, I can change the labels in the IFO and BUP files for that stream to DTS. But I don't know how to build a new DVD or ISO with IFOEdit, or if my idea would even work. But it was the most logical conclusion. The original copy I bought back in 2003 played absolutely fine in DTS. I lost it or it got too scratched up so I bought a new one. The new one was a 2017 release and this is where the issues started. I bought the thing two more times over the years, none of the 2017 releases work in DTS. Anyway, besides tracking down a 2003 copy somehow, any ideas or input? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried ripping the main program with MakeMKV?
    Quote Quote