VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I noticed something on my VCR while digitalizing few tapes. When my VCR is cold and when I insert that paticulare tape to record, that same tape that I record the day after when VCR was hot, it record it without any sutter or maybe just one stutter in like hour, maybe even without any. They are not huge stutters just a half second or something like that stutter.

Could it be that capacitors in VCR are weak or something ? Or maybe it's elgato when it's colder it capture without stutter and when hotter it stutters ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure all equipment and the tapes themselves have been in a comfortably warm room,
    humidity not too high, for at least an hour before attempting to do anything
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Make sure all equipment and the tapes themselves have been in a comfortably warm room,
    humidity not too high, for at least an hour before attempting to do anything
    They were in my room (room temp.), but they are old from 80s/90s but no mold or anything like that, they are very clean.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They should all be together, in the same room/temperature. It's no good bring something from warm to cold
    or vice/versa. They need to sit in the same environment for at least an hour before playing/capturing.

Once this is OK and the humidity not too high, you can try fast forwarding to the end of the tape and back a couple of times,
    this sometimes help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    They should all be together, in the same room/temperature. It's no good bring something from warm to cold
    or vice/versa. They need to sit in the same environment for at least an hour before playing/capturing.

Once this is OK and the humidity not too high, you can try fast forwarding to the end of the tape and back a couple of times,
    this sometimes help.
    All of it is in my room vcr, elgato, tapes everything same temp. I also have dehumidifer, and regulary checking humidity in my room.

Didn't do that with FF and REW. I'll try that, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Connect the VCR to the TV to see if the stutter is caused by the VCR or the capture device/software.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Connect the VCR to the TV to see if the stutter is caused by the VCR or the capture device/software.
    I'll do that first, good point. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Laptop with Intel 4-5th gen was problem. I got i5 7th gen and no problem there. I think Elgato eats CPU alot.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you are encoding on the fly then yes, If you are capturing into uncompressed or losslessly compressed format it shouldn't burden the CPU that much.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Don't know, elgato video caputring usb doesn't have much options. I am even not capturing in HD. But CPU was on 90-100% on that 5th and 4th gen.
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 30th May 2024 at 04:49.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know, elgato video caputring usb doesn't have much options. I am even not capturing in HD.
    Interesting. What CPU use are you getting now with the 7th Gen?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Don't know, elgato video caputring usb doesn't have much options. I am even not capturing in HD.
    Interesting. What CPU use are you getting now with the 7th Gen?
    Core i5-7200U
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I meant what percentage use of the new CPU is being used when capturing with the Elgato?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Sorry, I meant what percentage use of the new CPU is being used when capturing with the Elgato?
    Oh my bad I didn't get you at first

around 30-50% CPU is now. And settings of elgato were set to capture around 1Mbps bitrate, default is 0.75. That's enough for this situation that I'm doing now.
    Last edited by Thermaltake; 31st May 2024 at 16:00.
    Quote Quote