VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only posted there about QAAC issues but then stayed for 2 years but regretted since It a total mess of people who can't handle any criticism and hostile as anything as well.

LAME MP3 - Claim It garbage and refuse to shut up about It when no one asked. When I found a work around for full transparency at V1 by using the Allshort switch got nothing but abuse.

AAC - I have no idea how QAAC is so higly rated had nothing but issues where Dark Ambient isn't transparent till 224 ~ 256kbps, 3KHz tonal synths choke the encoder even at 320kbps.

Vorbis - Only decent at 256kbps It not that good at ~176kbps at all If anything Is noise rich.

Musepack - Pretty much the GOAT at ~176kbps never once found a single issue, It what I use on my phone for music.

Opus - Better than other 3 MDCT codecs by miles at 175kbps but not that keen on It favoring 48KHz and bit rate bloat a issue where some ambient tracks can shoot up to 245 ~ 310kbps when other codecs are 64 ~ 144kbps?.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Fox256 View Post
    Musepack - Pretty much the GOAT at ~176kbps never once found a single issue, It what I use on my phone for music.
    Please shed some light how you are listening music on your phone...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by Fox256 View Post
    I use Poweramp which supports MPC. All the 3 other codecs have some annoying issue mainly from Encoder limits than the Codec(AAC, Vorbis, MP3) that seems to set off HA users, Yet Opus and Musepack seem to be free of this issue. Hence I stick with Musepack at Q6 and 256kbps VBR MP3(for friends/family).

Never met a community so hostile...that I don't like AAC/Vorbis and favour MPC/MP3.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Poweramp which supports MPC. All the 3 other codecs have some annoying issue mainly from Encoder limits than the Codec(AAC, Vorbis, MP3) that seems to set off HA users, Yet Opus and Musepack seem to be free of this issue. Hence I stick with Musepack at Q6 and 256kbps VBR MP3(for friends/family).

Never met a community so hostile...that I don't like AAC/Vorbis and favour MPC/MP3.
    Are you listening through the phones built-in speakers or do you have a high quality head set/ear buds?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Fox256 View Post
    Well, this is only half of information - software but second half is hardware - so it would be nice if you can share also this second half...

Why? I don't think community is hostile - people just express their opinion - in many democratic countries this is usually one of the basic human rights.
    I can understand your perspective - MPC is younger brother of MPEG-1 Layer 2 and with sufficient bitrate it may outperform other codecs as less invasive in terms of used compression. But with high bitrate MPC is very close to lossywav+flac where different coding approach is used.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Are you listening through the phones built-in speakers or do you have a high quality head set/ear buds?
    Etymotic ER4XR with extra 4db bass(105Hz low shelf) since the app has a PEQ built in.

Why? I don't think community is hostile - people just express their opinion - in many democratic countries this is usually one of the basic human rights.
    I can understand your perspective - MPC is younger brother of MPEG-1 Layer 2 and with sufficient bitrate it may outperform other codecs as less invasive in terms of used compression. But with high bitrate MPC is very close to lossywav+flac where different coding approach is used.
    It one thing stating a opinion but It another on being unlikeably hostile where I had them claim I lie while openly ignoring my samples when I stated Musepack benefits, Then got banned not long after. Yeah I consider Musepack a faux-lossless codec since I've had Merzbow style music average 350 ~ 540kbps with some sections reaching 890kbps. Pretty sure the highest bit rate It can do Is 1.4mbit which is what 16/44 PCM uses.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!