VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This was just drawn to my attention:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGfQpY__F3U
    so I tried it with a Panasonic NV-GS180 and a Panasonic NV-GS500 and they both transferred SD DV from MiniDV tapes to Windows Movie Maker in full DV quality via USB cable. It even worked on an old WindowsXP computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Let's see an actual sample from your test. No re-compression or anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a firewire transfer:
    https://youtu.be/zoTzuOFnOyE
    and here's the USB transfer of the same footage:
    https://youtu.be/WsdATv1rWQs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. YT tells us nothing. I know what has been done but still want to see these actual videos uploaded here as attachments (or elsewhere if too big). I did say 'no-recompression' which is what YT does etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DB83, enough. Read my speil on my website here: "DV over USB".

Consider yourself "learned".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Indeed, some newer generation models can transfer/stream the full DV stream through the USB.
    I have used it too, many years ago.
    And some similar discussion then too.

Camcorder output quality USB 2.0 vs DV firewire? OP Update 01/08

Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    Some DV camcorders indeed can transfer the full DV stream through USB, from the specs from that Panasonic it seems possible.
    http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/dv/global/products/nv-gs320/
    USB 2.0 compatibility lets you upload DV data to a PC at high speed over a single USB cable.
    The problem is getting the right software to work, most only support DV through firewire.

But you should try the (now free!) ScenalyzerLive
    http://www.scenalyzer.com/

I have used that software myself capturing the full DV data through USB from camcorder, it's worth a try.
    Try that Scenalyzer and see if it works or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    db83 - there were a couple very specific panasonic dv cams that came with special driver that allowed them to capture miniDV over usb. it didn't always work because usb2 back then was cpu controlled and the stream could be interrupted.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If no USB camcorder available Pinnacle made some DV to USB adapters for DV and D8 camcorders such as 700-USB and 500-USB, Here is a D8 DV sample I posted on YT.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    No. YT tells us nothing. I know what has been done but still want to see these actual videos uploaded here as attachments (or elsewhere if too big). I did say 'no-recompression' which is what YT does etc.
    Transfer DV/D8 over USB does not affect the original video quality as long as you are using the right application, For instance WinDV and ScLive have no capability to transcode the video, they are real time 1:1 streamers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To all.

Atleast, with one notable exception, the responses to my comment are civil.

Even so, I see no harm in asking for these samples purely for the purpose of comparison. And since, apparently, this feature is limited to certain devices it is not a total solution.

And another thing. That YT video was produced by a former, since banned, member on here (whether he is back on here with another username is not relevent to this discussion unless....). When he first started to post I asked him, due to his username, his level of 'expertise' on matters re DV. If memory serves he said he had none. With that in mind what was I to think ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree with @DB83.
    The rule for over 2 decades now is that most dv-based cams do not support transfer of full DV quality over USB, regardless of app used, but there a few exceptions. And those exceptions are specific models, using specific transfer apps, with specific drivers. And those other non-exception ways to transfer via USB really only suppored for stills or for lower rez, lower quality facsimiles.

That there is some "new breakthrough" in dv that allows that rule to be broken or bypassed is an assertion that needs to be received skeptically, and should be backed by actual, non-YT-recompressed samples.
    To pretend that it is not that way is non-scientific and misinformation. With some possible gaslighting bullying thrown in, as well. Yet, it is the responsibility of the new asserter to prove their case, not the critic relying on established rule.

The phrase is: put up or shut up. Also, pix or it didn't happen.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No one claimed all camcorders can transfer full DV over USB, Countless of threads here about the certain models that have that capability to do so, Usually later models of the era after USB 2.0 was widely available on computers. I had the assumption that DB83 is doubting the capable camcorders and I answered accordingly, maybe I should have mentioned the word "USB capable".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    That there is some "new breakthrough" in dv that allows that rule to be broken or bypassed is an assertion that needs to be received skeptically, and should be backed by actual, non-YT-recompressed samples.
    To pretend that it is not that way is non-scientific and misinformation. With some possible gaslighting bullying thrown in, as well. Yet, it is the responsibility of the new asserter to prove their case, not the critic relying on established rule.
    The phrase is: put up or shut up. Also, pix or it didn't happen.
    Scott
    The main problem is this Youtuber has a lot of wrong information in his videos. It's all half-assed (dis)(mis)information that only his fellow newbies fall for.

Students need to finish reading a book before trying to teach it to others.

If you read the comments, all it did was create more confusion.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote