VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I don't know how to get notifications on the forum. I have to always check all my posts manually. Do I have to change settings, or is this the way its meant to be?

Thank you

this is how it looks
    [Attachment 77865 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by geextah_2; 22nd Mar 2024 at 10:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check your forum settings.

The default is to receive an email notification automatically.

However that is not as straightforward as it might appear. Say you start a topic or reply to a topic, you get a notification for the next reply. However, you only get another notification once you have visited the forum again. So let's say that there are several replies but you only get the email notification for the first and must read the other replies direct. Then you get an email the next time someone posts to the topic.

You also have to ensure that automatic topic subscription is turned on.

Did you get the email for this reply ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No I don't want any emails (I don't check any emails), I want a notification on the forum like on reddit, github, discord, twitter etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Out of luck then
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A solution would be to bookmark https://forum.videohelp.com/subscription.php?folderid=0 then you can see if there are any new posts
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am familiar with that list.

But its a 'fudge' since it shows the last post in the topic whereas the actual automatic notificaion shows the first response since your last visit to the forum.

I am a member of a forum where there is not even an email notification nor such a list so the only way then is to physically check the topic.

BTW there are notifications to Private Messages which you will see at the top of the page as long as you have that setting enabled.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is a little icon to the right of the title as long as there is new activity, that will take you to the first new post. Those icons appear in regular forum list too. That icon may appear in different places but it's pretty standard on any forum software.
    Quote Quote