VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I had a DCR-TRV17E wich it have 800k pixels of resolution and 400k effective pixels and I was a bit shocked about how pixelated it was. A lot of zones of the video was heavily pixelated and very noticeable and if I zoom a bit it gets only worse.

[Attachment 77834 - Click to enlarge]

I captured the footage at 720x576 with chroma subsampling planar 4:2:0 with firewire and deinterlaced in staxrip with QTGMC. Then after deinterlace I resized the video to 768x576 with Lanczos to be square pixels and 4:3 with a PAR of 1:1.

But at the same time it makes sense because even this camcorder had 400k pixels wich is less than the required 414k for PAL resolution but a lot of pixelation for only 14k pixels of difference in the resolution? I don't know...

Analog camcorders didn't pixelate the videos I think even if they had less resolution than a TRV17E...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I would think it's a resizing artifact, This is why it is always better to resize to a higher resolution such 1440x1080 or leave the original resolution alone and flag the AR, Can you post a raw sample?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I would think it's a resizing artifact, This is why it is always better to resize to a higher resolution such 1440x1080 or leave the original resolution alone and flag the AR, Can you post a raw sample?
    It happens exactly the same in a RAW file.

I played this video in a TV and it was happening even in the TV also... That's why i'm asking if is a fault of a digital camcorder with a low res sensor. Also 720x576 is 414k pixels and the TRV17E had 400k effective pixels of resolution so maybe this is one of the reasons.

Oh also it happens before resizing my videos.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    A simple with motion may help members give you some answers, A screenshot of a tiny part of the frame means nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    A simple with motion may help members give you some answers, A screenshot of a tiny part of the frame means nothing.
    Nevermind I think I found the issue. Also I don't have the TRV17E anymore because I sold it so is impossible to give a RAW example of the video from the capture I posted here. Anyways I think is a thing of the sensor being low res to handle the required pixels for 720x576 resolution.

However I saw this issue in many digital camcorders that had less than 1 megapixel of resolution posted in youtube. (Less noticeable with NTSC models because the NTSC resolution are lower being 720x480 so the camcorders that was 690k pixels and 350k effective was good enough to handle good that resolution since the NTSC resolution need atleast 345k pixels).
    Last edited by Joscraft_05; 20th Mar 2024 at 13:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Joscraft_05 View Post
    Analog camcorders didn't pixelate the videos I think even if they had less resolution than a TRV17E...
    1. Low resolution.
    2. Perhaps also imperfect image processing/sharpening in the camera.
    Quote Quote